The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University Belfast (QUB) Applicants 2019

Welcome to the Queen’s University Belfast applicants thread for 2019 :hello:

If you are thinking of applying to Queen’s, then this is the thread for you!

We are here to answer any questions you might have about studying at Queen's, plus it’s also the perfect place to chat to other applicants.

Here are a few questions to get you started:

Which course(s) are you thinking of applying to?

Are you undergrad/postgrad?

Where are you applying from?

Have you any questions about studying at Queen’s?

You can also check out what our student bloggers have to say about life at Queen's in our Student Guide.

Good luck with your applications!

#LoveQUB

Scroll to see replies

Hi am thinking about studying law undergrad @ queens.
I am from the south of ireland
When do applications via ucas have to be sent and how much emphasis is placed on junior cert results vs predicated grades?
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by Lolololoo
Hi am thinking about studying law undergrad @ queens.
I am from the south of ireland
When do applications via ucas have to be sent and how much emphasis is placed on junior cert results vs predicated grades?

Hi Lolololoo :hello:

Thanks for getting in touch.

UCAS are currently accepting applications for autumn 2019 entry - their closing date is 15th January 2019 (6pm).

With regards to the Junior Cert the entry requirements for Law state the following:

For applicants offering the Irish Leaving Certificate, please note that performance at Junior Certificate is taken into account and at the end of last year’s application cycle, the Junior Cert profile was a minimum of 2A and 4B grades.

You can read more information here.

If you need further information on entry requirements or the application process, our admissions team are here to help. You can email them at [email protected] or give them a call on 048 9097 3838.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your studies!

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Hello. Will alternative offers me made for students taking the extended project qualification (EPQ)?
Original post by harryjthorpe
Hello. Will alternative offers me made for students taking the extended project qualification (EPQ)?

Hello harryjthorpe :hi:

What course(s)are you interested in applying for and I will check this out with our admissions team for you?

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Original post by Queen's University Belfast
Hello harryjthorpe :hi:

What course(s)are you interested in applying for and I will check this out with our admissions team for you?

Kachela
(Team Queen's)

Hello Kachela, I am interested in business information technology (GN51). Thank you
Hello,

I am applying undergrad for Music and Audio Production.
I was wondering is it necessary to have a portfolio for Music and Audio Production as I do have one, but I want to know if I have to submit it.

Thank you.
Hello Kachela, I am interested in business information technology (GN51). Thank you

Hi again harryjthorpe,

I am just checking this out with admissions for you, and will get back to you soon.

Thanks!

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Original post by michaelmcf345
Hello,

I was wondering is it necessary to have a portfolio for Music and Audio Production as I do have one, but I want to know if I have to submit it.

Thank you.

Hi there michaelmcf345,

I am just going to check this with our admissions team and will let you know. :popout:

Kachela
(Team Queen's)

Hi there harryjthorpe,

Our admissions team have replied with the following information:

We make offers in terms of three A-levels. We would not make an alternative offer in terms of three A-levels and EPQ. However, if a student’s A-level grades are borderline when the results are received we would take into account performance in the EPQ at that stage.

If you have any other questions, please just let us know!

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Original post by michaelmcf345
Hello,

Thank you.

Hi again michaelmcf345,

Selection for the course will be on the basis of the information provided on your UCAS form, so your portfolio won't be necessary.

For full details of our current entrance requirements please refer to our Course Finder, you may find the following link helpful:

Music and Audio Production BA

It is also important that you read the ‘How We Choose Our Students’ section for each course of interest, this can be found under the Entry Requirements tab.

Hope this helps a bit.

Wishing you all the very best with your studies and if you need anything else, please do let us know!

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Reply 11
My application for biology is being processed at the moment. Does anyone know whether qub start giving offers straight away or do they wait until after the january deadline?
Original post by AO180
My application for biology is being processed at the moment. Does anyone know whether qub start giving offers straight away or do they wait until after the january deadline?

Hey, I don't think the admission procedures across the different schools are different, but in applying for Physics, I put in my UCAS on the 27th Novermber, and had a offer on the 30th November, However in the case of the Comsci, they didn't give out offers until mid January to do with a new PwC degree apprentice which was launched last year, but yes I would expect them to be very quick in regards to getting back with an offer.
Reply 13
Original post by M4cc4n4
Hey, I don't think the admission procedures across the different schools are different, but in applying for Physics, I put in my UCAS on the 27th Novermber, and had a offer on the 30th November, However in the case of the Comsci, they didn't give out offers until mid January to do with a new PwC degree apprentice which was launched last year, but yes I would expect them to be very quick in regards to getting back with an offer.

Hi
Thanks so much for the reply
An offer in 3 days is pretty fast! Wow
Hi, I'm looking to apply to 3 courses from Human Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry and Biological Sciences. I'm just wondering, how significant is my personal statement for these subjects?

Also, in terms of my personal statement for Biochemistry, how much would you look for Chemistry to be spoken about, in comparison to Biology?
Reply 15
Ive been told by a reliable source that QUB don't even look at PS for biology. Its just grades apparently. So you don't need to worry about that one. I can't comment on the other courses.
Original post by EffyApples
Hi, I'm looking to apply to 3 courses from Human Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry and Biological Sciences. I'm just wondering, how significant is my personal statement for these subjects?

Also, in terms of my personal statement for Biochemistry, how much would you look for Chemistry to be spoken about, in comparison to Biology?

Hi EffyApples :h:

For all these degree courses, the entry requirements say that the information provided in the personal statement section and the academic reference together with predicted grades are noted but, in the case of these courses they are are not the final deciding factor in whether or not a conditional offer can be made. However, they may be reconsidered in a tie break situation in August.

I am also going to check the second part of your question with our admissions team and let you know!

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Hello there,
I am in my final year of a BSc Chemistry at LJMU and going to apply for the MSc(Res) Oncology Drug Discovery (fingers crossed). I have noticed that it still says entry year 2018 on the university website and that there are 8 places available - do you know when this will be updated? i'm a little worried about the small number of places! I am on track for a first, if not a high 2:1 so would it be down to my personal statement?
Thank you!
Original post by maddiesmith
Hello there,
I am in my final year of a BSc Chemistry at LJMU and going to apply for the MSc(Res) Oncology Drug Discovery (fingers crossed). I have noticed that it still says entry year 2018 on the university website and that there are 8 places available - do you know when this will be updated? i'm a little worried about the small number of places! I am on track for a first, if not a high 2:1 so would it be down to my personal statement?
Thank you!

Hi maddiesmith :hello:

The website has now been updated for 2019 entry. You can check it out here. There are 10 places available on the course.

If you need any help with the application process, our Postgrad admissions team are here to help. You can email them at [email protected]

Hope this helps a bit, but if you need anything else please do just let us know.

Kachela
(team Queen's)
Original post by Queen's University Belfast
Hi maddiesmith :hello:

The website has now been updated for 2019 entry. You can check it out here. There are 10 places available on the course.

If you need any help with the application process, our Postgrad admissions team are here to help. You can email them at [email protected]

Hope this helps a bit, but if you need anything else please do just let us know.

Kachela
(team Queen's)

Thank you very much for getting back to me, luckily enough shortly after I posted that, the website had updated! I appreciate you looking into that for me though :smile:

Now just to work on my dreaded personal statement!

Maddie

Latest

Trending

Trending