The Student Room Group

UKMT Thread- 2018/2019

Scroll to see replies

Pretty stressed about MOG tomorrow- and not sure where the optimal point is between spending time on studying and spending time on sleeping. :s-smilie: Have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed in my results and keep setting the bar lower and lower. Probably just overthinking things.
Original post by Your Local Cat
If I get 100+ I will eat a lemon

The lemon needs to be a decent size, too.
Reply 42
Original post by TheGame314
Pretty stressed about MOG tomorrow- and not sure where the optimal point is between spending time on studying and spending time on sleeping. :s-smilie: Have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed in my results and keep setting the bar lower and lower. Probably just overthinking things.

The MOG isn't meant to be sat until the 2nd October though? Are you sure your school has the dates right?

Also don't worry about it, the most important thing is to actually sleep before the exam. It's not a test of theory, it's a test of problem solving.
also mathematical olympiad for girls tomorrow, anyways can someone help explain the answer to Q5 2016 MOG paper it's about IMC or higher level idk? what is proof of inductio and how is it used
Original post by A02
The MOG isn't meant to be sat until the 2nd October though? Are you sure your school has the dates right?

Also don't worry about it, the most important thing is to actually sleep before the exam. It's not a test of theory, it's a test of problem solving.

My school had the dates wrong, thankfully. :smile:
Original post by Angel_Chen
also mathematical olympiad for girls tomorrow, anyways can someone help explain the answer to Q5 2016 MOG paper it's about IMC or higher level idk? what is proof of inductio and how is it used

I'm just looking at the problem rn...
Reply 46
oh **** I'm actually able to do a few bmo1 questions.. yay
How did everyone find the MOG yesterday then??
I thought it was easier than last year
Didn't sit it last year, but I've done the papers from 2014 to the present, and this year's the only paper that I could answer all the questions fully and somewhat satisfactorily on. Q1 and Q2 were incredibly straightforward (though my Q2 diagram was most certainly not to scale), Q3 I found slightly difficult to explain 3D ideas in writing and diagrams (did three cross-sections to show the three floors), and Q5 was alright once I found a solution to part c. Q4 was the one that threw me- I feel like I didn't write/justify enough to get full marks. I put that 'there must be a chain of 97 houses that goes 'WYYWYYWYYW...YYW' in part B, but couldn't really explain why adequately. Wasn't sure on how to write a proof for something like that.

Definitely found most of it reassuringly easy and finished well within the time limit- but then again, that means that everyone else probably found it equally simple, so the thresholds will be higher.

Edit: Just found the solutions have been posted...

Edit 2: Oh no, I screwed up on Q5- I did all my workings under the assumption that by selecting a coin, the coin itself (plus its neighbours) would be turned over, not just its neighbours. Ah well, will probably get a couple of marks still.

Imagine quite a few people will get full marks and there'll be plenty of scores up in the 40's.

I'm in Year Ten so it's not the end of the world if I get lower than I was hoping.

Hope everyone else gets the results they're hoping for! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Didn't sit it last year, but I've done the papers from 2014 to the present, and this year's the only paper that I could answer all the questions fully and somewhat satisfactorily on. Q1 and Q2 were incredibly straightforward (though my Q2 diagram was most certainly not to scale), Q3 I found slightly difficult to explain 3D ideas in writing and diagrams (did three cross-sections to show the three floors), and Q5 was alright once I found a solution to part c. Q4 was the one that threw me- I feel like I didn't write/justify enough to get full marks. I put that 'there must be a chain of 97 houses that goes 'WYYWYYWYYW...YYW' in part B, but couldn't really explain why adequately. Wasn't sure on how to write a proof for something like that.

Definitely found most of it reassuringly easy and finished well within the time limit- but then again, that means that everyone else probably found it equally simple, so the thresholds will be higher.

Edit: Just found the solutions have been posted...

Edit 2: Oh no, I screwed up on Q5- I did all my workings under the assumption that by selecting a coin, the coin itself (plus its neighbours) would be turned over, not just its neighbours. Ah well, will probably get a couple of marks still.

Imagine quite a few people will get full marks and there'll be plenty of scores up in the 40's.

I'm in Year Ten so it's not the end of the world if I get lower than I was hoping.

Hope everyone else gets the results they're hoping for! :smile:

Yes I was the same– I was really shocked that I finished with a decent amount of time to spare! That’s amazing that you’re doing so well for Y10!

Yep I’ve gotten all the questions right as far as I can tell but I’m sure I’ll lose marks for explanations, particularly on Q5 (that whole “not turning over the coin you chose” thing is so off putting?? I did the same in the exam originally!) since my arguments for parts a and b were very...iffy...

Q4 was really odd! I ended up writing something along the lines of “between 0 and 33 W houses could shift to the left by one” by the end of it😂

I’m sure the prize boundaries will be in the mid to high 40s this year (maybe even full marks); the average could well be around 20-25 due to Q1
(edited 5 years ago)
Defo thought this years was easier which relieves and worries me :P
(though my Q2 diagram was most certainly not to scale)

How could you draw it to scale if no units were given? Do you mean the angle? It's not too difficult to construct an angle of 120 degrees.
Reply 52
I can see myself finding the correct answer to a question in the smc but accidentally marking in the wrong letter.
I can see myself finding the correct answer to a question in the smc but accidentally marking in the wrong letter.

:facepalm: that’d be tragic
Original post by sterchess
How could you draw it to scale if no units were given? Do you mean the angle? It's not too difficult to construct an angle of 120 degrees.

Yeah, my angle was more like a freehand 60 degrees, because if it'd been 120 degrees the triangle would have had to be fairly small and the circle fairly massive, which makes labelling the necessary parts a bit harder. (I did it like Diagram 1 in the solutions). Didn't consider anything sensical like only drawing part of the circle, oh no. I know (hope) it won't matter though.

Marking in the letters can be more stressful than the exam itself. I hate it.

If you think that's bad, in last year's STMC I managed to write the right numbers in the wrong boxes in the cross-number. I still don't know how we made it to the national finals having dropped 27 marks.
Reply 57
Marking in the letters can be more stressful than the exam itself. I hate it.

Yeah, my angle was more like a freehand 60 degrees, because if it'd been 120 degrees the triangle would have had to be fairly small and the circle fairly massive, which makes labelling the necessary parts a bit harder. (I did it like Diagram 1 in the solutions). Didn't consider anything sensical like only drawing part of the circle, oh no. I know (hope) it won't matter though.

I think I'll just state some advice about drawing diagrams.

Always draw an accurate diagram for a geometry problem in an olympiad. The importance of this increases significantly as the problem difficult increases. Most harder geometry problems require you to conjecture some intermediate step before finishing, such as 4 points are cyclic or 3 points are collinear. (e. g. IMO 2018 Problem 1 is a great example) With a good diagram and some practice, it's fairly easy to notice 3 points that are collinear, and with a bit more practice, 4 cyclic points.

With a bad diagram, it's far harder.

It's worth getting used to basic constructions. Remember, for BMO1 and above, you're allowed a compass and ruler. From this you can construct angle bisectors, perpendicular bisectors, circumcircles, incircles ect. accurately and fairly quickly. It really is worth the time spending a few minutes to draw a good diagram.
Reply 58
Original post by Dysf(x)al
If you think that's bad, in last year's STMC I managed to write the right numbers in the wrong boxes in the cross-number. I still don't know how we made it to the national finals having dropped 27 marks.

I wish my school does the STMC, although I guess we would do pretty badly in it.
@A02 Do you think inequalities will come up in BMO 1 or 2 this year? I cannot solve hard inequality problems to save my life. I got 51, 21 in BMO 1 and 2 last year but I have never managed to solve anything more than the most basic inequality problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending