The Student Room Group

A GYG for smart people (A*A*A*): Kat's Painfully Long Journey to University

A GYG for (smart) people: Kat's Painfully Long Journey to University

Grades I actually got (not A*A*A*):

Spoiler

:hello:Hey there peeps. I have just sent my UCAS application to my school this morning and got some time to spare after a hectic week of last-minute redrafting my personal statement. Why not make a GYG blog just to motivate myself?

My AS Year...

was a disaster :frown:. At least when it had just started. I didn't know how to revise for A levels (Chemistry, Biology and Maths) , didn't understand what the teacher was talking about and I was not used to being a boarder at school. I missed home a lot and that distracted me a lot. I was (and is) aiming for As and A*s but I was getting Bs and Ds in my tests instead.
In November, though, I found the way to balance my studies and other stuff. I began to score A*s in Chemistry and Maths and A in Biology.

My A2 year...

is much much better. :banana2:Now that I am predicted with A*A*A* (which I am really proud of), I hope I will be able to maintain that despite the little step up from year 12 to year 13.
Aside from school, I am also hoping I would stay physically and mentally healthy this year, keeping myself from being over stressed. Unlike last year where I had a huge mental breakdown.

My 5 University Choices and Status:

Spoiler

Future Plans:

I will be doing psychology in university. I know a lot of people who did psychology would become a clinical psychologists or pursue some subject-related works. I have not decided my career path yet but I know that I wouldn't want to become a psychologist and would definitely love to work in an airline company. Probably because my mom works in one and the benefits is too good to be true. (Imagine flying to another country with 1/10th of the ticket's price.)

I am excited to embark on this 10 month journey to A levels exam! I literally cannot wait until A levels are over and going to university.

Ask me anything if you have any questions on your UCAS application! I will try my best to answer it. If you have a GyG blog as well that you want me to check it out, leave the link below.

I will try to post my updates daily but then with all the work coming up I cannot make any promises. See you soon!:wavey:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Wow your grades are amazing wishing you the best of luck please do add me to your tag list and maybe check out my blog 😇
Original post by Strawbecky
Hello! Wow your grades are amazing wishing you the best of luck please do add me to your tag list and maybe check out my blog 😇

Yes sure no problem. Let's work hard together this year!
Add me to your tag list lovely !
Congrats on your predicted grades!
Original post by Ariel2611
Add me to your tag list lovely !
Congrats on your predicted grades!

Thank you so much. I'm really happy with it as well.
Reply 5
Good luck with Year 13!! :rave:
Just wondering but have you applied yet? The deadline's coming up soon :wink:
Please add me to your tag list!
236 Days to First A level

It hasn't occured to me that A levels are only 200+ days away until I actually googled it.

My Plans for Tonight:

1. Mark the TSA past paper (2012) and learn the mistakes. (1hr)
2. Finish biology worksheet (due tomorrow!)
3. Get ready for half term! (0.5 hr)

I have been trying to revise for TSA and hoping I could the marks needed for the interview, but I just couldn't improve. And now I am so frustrated because I don't really know what I should do. For the following days, I will just put my focus on this test and wish for the best.

My Day and Other Stuff:

Spoiler

Tag List :emog:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck with Year 13!! :rave:
Just wondering but have you applied yet? The deadline's coming up soon :wink:
Please add me to your tag list!

Thank you so much! You too
I have just sent my application to the school and my head of sixth form just keep sending it back to me because I have missed something. I hope he would send it soon. The whole process is so nervewrecking and exciting. I just hope everything goes through smoothly. What about you?
Reply 8
Original post by je m'en fiche
Thank you so much! You too
I have just sent my application to the school and my head of sixth form just keep sending it back to me because I have missed something. I hope he would send it soon. The whole process is so nervewrecking and exciting. I just hope everything goes through smoothly. What about you?

I've sent mine off so now, all I have to do is wait :afraid:
I'm sorry your head of sixth form keeps sending it back.. hope it goes off soon!
Loving this blog so far, best of luck xx
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Loving this blog so far, best of luck xx

Thank you so much! Are you doing A levels as well?
Thank you so much! Are you doing A levels as well?

No I'm Scottish and I'm doing a HNC. It's kinda hard to describe to English peeps lol. I do have a GYG blog if you wanna check it out tho :smile:
Start of Half Term

Today marks the beginning of half term, as well as the countdown to TSA, the aptitude test for Oxford. :tongue:
A little update to start my holidays!

Plan for today:

1130-1200 Start revision for transition metal test in chemistry
1200-1300 Lunch
1300-1500 Do TSA past paper 2014
1500-1515 Break
1515-1545 Mark paper
1545-1600 Break
1600-1700 Review corrections of past paper
1700-1730 Break
1730-1830 Revisit questions I did wrong
1830-2000 Blank slot for TSA or chemistry test revision
2000-0000 Dinner, break and sleep

Personal life:

Spoiler

Taglist::heart:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Sounds like you've been working really hard! Keep up the excellent work, can't wait to see your progress! Xx
Original post by abbieerobinsonn
Sounds like you've been working really hard! Keep up the excellent work, can't wait to see your progress! Xx

Thank you so much :h:
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
No I'm Scottish and I'm doing a HNC. It's kinda hard to describe to English peeps lol. I do have a GYG blog if you wanna check it out tho :smile:

Can't wait for your updates :smile:

A GYG for smart people (A*A*A*): Kat's Painfully Long Journey to University

:hello:Hey there smart peeps. I have just sent my UCAS application to my school this morning and got some time to spare after a hectic week of last-minute redrafting my personal statement. Why not make a GYG blog just to motivate myself?

My AS Year...

was a disaster :frown:. At least when it had just started. I didn't know how to revise for A levels (Chemistry, Biology and Maths) , didn't understand what the teacher was talking about and I was not used to being a boarder at school. I missed home a lot and that distracted me a lot. I was (and is) aiming for As and A*s but I was getting Bs and Ds in my tests instead.
In November, though, I found the way to balance my studies and other stuff. I began to score A*s in Chemistry and Maths and A in Biology.

My A2 year...

is much much better. :banana2:Now that I am predicted with A*A*A* (which I am really proud of), I hope I will be able to maintain that despite the little step up from year 12 to year 13.
Aside from school, I am also hoping I would stay physically and mentally healthy this year, keeping myself from being over stressed. Unlike last year where I had a huge mental breakdown.

My 5 University Choices:

Spoiler

Future Plans:

I will be doing psychology in university. I know a lot of people who did psychology would become a clinical psychologists or pursue some subject-related works. I have not decided my career path yet but I know that I wouldn't want to become a psychologist and would definitely love to work in an airline company. Probably because my mom works in one and the benefits is too good to be true. (Imagine flying to another country with 1/10th of the ticket's price.)

Recent Goals for October:

Spoiler

I am excited to embark on this 10 month journey to A levels exam! I literally cannot wait until A levels are over and going to university.

Ask me anything if you have any questions on your UCAS application! I will try my best to answer it.

I will try to post my updates daily but then with all the work coming up I cannot make any promises. See you soon!:wavey:

hey ive just started AS and im doing the same subjects as you! im also aiming for As but i really need tips and advice for each subject if you wouldnt mind! :smile:
well done on your grades btw, theyre amazing!! :smile:
TSA Revision Day

Plans For Today:

1100-1130 Quick review on TSA
1200-1300 Lunch
1300-1500 Do TSA 2013
1500-1530 Mark TSA
1530-1600 Break
1600-1700 Review questions
1700-1730 Blank/Catch up slot or Break
1800-1815 Emails
1815-2000 Dinner
2000-2130 Chemistry Test revise
2130-0000 Sleep

Sorry for using these weird military times but TSR doesn't support nice formatting (i.e. more than 1 space between words) which would make each event start with different lengths due to the number of characters in the times.

Personal Life:

I have done another TSA test yesterday as you can see but there are no big improvements from previous tests in September. The score I got was 61.4 and you can say I am average among Oxford applicants. However, the average of successful applicants is 64.7.:s-smilie: Anyone have ideas on how to improve???

Tag List:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by chloesky2018
hey ive just started AS and im doing the same subjects as you! im also aiming for As but i really need tips and advice for each subject if you wouldnt mind! :smile:
well done on your grades btw, theyre amazing!! :smile:

I find chemistry and biology quite similar, in terms of revision methods.

1. Stay on top of your classes. If I don't fully understand a topic I would usually read the CGP revision guide (life saver) and/or ask my teachers.
2. Use the specification (and your textbook) to write notes and revise them. The specification is very specific on the definitions and topics you have to know. Sometimes the boxes on the side of the pages in the textbook are required too!
3. Do topic questions for each chapter. I usually find them on physics and maths tutor. I usually mark them with the mark scheme so I know how the examiners want me to write the answers to get all the marks.

In general, I aim to do all of these within one week of finishing the chapter. Teachers usually give us test about 1 week after a week so it's good to revise for it anyway.

For maths, it's slightly more tricky (at least for me).
I don't really write notes for maths but instead I would do the end of chapter questions and topic questions. Though I have a sheet of "steps" on pressing the calculator, because when you go to more difficult modules (like statistics) you would need to be able to find the mean, standard deviation(SD) etc within a few clicks, so I wouldn't forget a year later.
I don't really know how to explain so here's an example: on my Casio fx-991EX Classwix calculator, to find the SD
1.Press menu --> 6: Statistics
2. Press 1: 1-Variable
3. Input data
4.Press OPTN then press #: 1-Variable Calc
5. Find sx

Hope this helps you
:woo: best of luck:wink:
am glad this year is going better than last year:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending