The Student Room Group

Animation, Graphic Design, Fashion, Photography and Illustration Applicants 2019

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :hello:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
GCSE Grades:
Why Animation/ Graphic Design/ Fashion/ Photography/ Illustration? This is a question you will be asked at interview so it's best to get an answer together sooner rather than later!
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

Good luck with your applications everyone :grouphugs:

For portfolio advice this thread is super useful!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

when is the best time to apply?
Original post by zhijia wang
when is the best time to apply?

Sooner the better really :smile: doesn't matter in terms of UCAS when you apply (so long as you do so before the deadline), but at my interview the tutors said that those who apply early tend to give a better impression as it suggests they are certain on the course and the uni. Make sure your portfolio and personal statement is ready and apply as soon as possible because it will get the stress etc over sooner :smile:
@PQ might have some more advice
Original post by CoolCavy
Sooner the better really :smile: doesn't matter in terms of UCAS when you apply (so long as you do so before the deadline), but at my interview the tutors said that those who apply early tend to give a better impression as it suggests they are certain on the course and the uni. Make sure your portfolio and personal statement is ready and apply as soon as possible because it will get the stress etc over sooner :smile:
@PQ might have some more advice

Something like 50% of art and design applications come in in the week before the January deadline. Because a lot of people apply from a foundation year or an FE college (where they deliberately apply after Christmas to make sure they have time to get to know students and write a good reference) it makes art and design one of the latest subjects. There’s no disadvantage to applying in that group - but there is a definite advantage to preparing an application as soon as possible so that you can focus on finalising your portfolio while your school/college adds your reference.
Reply 4
Have offers from London College of Fashion and Nottingham Trent for BA Fashion management/marketing. Very unsure as to which to accept. I am struggling to find any positive reviews for LCF. Any advice???
Hi, I'm Abi. I'm hoping to study animation (leaning towards 2D) in 2019, and I'm currently putting together my portfolio ^^

University choices: Hertrfordshire, Falmouth + South Wales (I also applied to NTU and Portsmouth, but due to travel problems, I won't be able to get interviewed (I've been denied an online interview, since I'm within commutable distance.

What subject(s) are currently studying?: Art, English Literature and Computer Science

Predicted A2 grades: Around B,A,C, if I'm correct in saying so. I also have EPQ.

GCSE Grades: I got As and A*s

Why Animation? I'm still perfecting my answer, but to be entirely truthful, it's all I've ever wanted to do. I grew up consuming a lot of literature, and a lot of animated films, especially as I spent the first nine years of my life in Japan (I'm mixed ethnicity-British/Japanese). I have so many ideas that only animation can scrape at bringing to life, and I'm currently very fascinated in working in children's/teen's animation (possibly either as a director, storyboard artist or character designer--hopefully uni can solidify my end goals), especially in visually and narratively representing culturally influenced stories.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I really, really, really love Yokai (Japanese mythological creatures). The creativity astounds me.
Reply 6
I'm Arden!

University choices: I have an offer from Lincoln, and I'm waiting to hear from Dundee and Edinburgh
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Art, Spanish, History
Predicted A2 grades: B, B, A + A in EPQ (but I'm aiming for another A)
GCSE Grades: Bs, As and A*s
Why Illustration? I love telling stories through art! When I was younger, I used to write my own stories and illustrate them (and I did a project based on that for my EPQ). I also really love concept art/illustration for animation- the process of designing characters and environments is fascinating to me.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I've been riding horses for 10 years, and my favourite thing is horse-related mythology.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm Addy :smile:

University choices: Hertfordshire, AUB, Portsmouth, Bournemouth Uni and Nottingham Trent (though I might switch BU out?? No 2D! Open to suggestions)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: I've already finished! ICT, English Lit, Art and an Art foundation level. EPQ as well.
Predicted A2 grades: Already got 'em. A, B, B, Merit, and an A for EPQ AS.
GCSE Grades: 7 As, 2 Bs, 1 C, 1 Distinction.
Why Animation? Because I can't imagine myself studying anything else! I love bringing ideas to life and want to build fantastic worlds from the ground up. Even when I've drawn something that's less than my best, I still get to go to sleep knowing I've brought something to the world that wasn't there yesterday.
I love cryptids and spooky things. I created a small journal for one project in my foundation year about an explorer recording all the cryptids and urban myths they came across!
Original post by newtbeaut
Hi, I'm Abi. I'm hoping to study animation (leaning towards 2D) in 2019, and I'm currently putting together my portfolio ^^

University choices: Hertrfordshire, Falmouth + South Wales (I also applied to NTU and Portsmouth, but due to travel problems, I won't be able to get interviewed (I've been denied an online interview, since I'm within commutable distance.

What subject(s) are currently studying?: Art, English Literature and Computer Science

Predicted A2 grades: Around B,A,C, if I'm correct in saying so. I also have EPQ.

GCSE Grades: I got As and A*s

Why Animation? I'm still perfecting my answer, but to be entirely truthful, it's all I've ever wanted to do. I grew up consuming a lot of literature, and a lot of animated films, especially as I spent the first nine years of my life in Japan (I'm mixed ethnicity-British/Japanese). I have so many ideas that only animation can scrape at bringing to life, and I'm currently very fascinated in working in children's/teen's animation (possibly either as a director, storyboard artist or character designer--hopefully uni can solidify my end goals), especially in visually and narratively representing culturally influenced stories.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I really, really, really love Yokai (Japanese mythological creatures). The creativity astounds me.

Fancy seeing you here,,, I love yokai too! Them and cryptids and ghosts :^) Also did you ever ask them again for interviews? I'm applying for both of them and I've heard Portsmouth is good.
Original post by ClockworkPaws
Fancy seeing you here,,, I love yokai too! Them and cryptids and ghosts :^) Also did you ever ask them again for interviews? I'm applying for both of them and I've heard Portsmouth is good.

Hey again!

Glad we have a shared interest! (Other than animation lmao).

Portsmouth just want me to send over my portfolio without an interview (as imI unable to attend), but NTU still aren't too happy with me not being able to physically turn up. I think I might have to withdraw :')

Good luck with your application, though ^^ I'm sure they'll love you!
Original post by newtbeaut
Hey again!

Glad we have a shared interest! (Other than animation lmao).

Portsmouth just want me to send over my portfolio without an interview (as imI unable to attend), but NTU still aren't too happy with me not being able to physically turn up. I think I might have to withdraw :':wink:

Good luck with your application, though ^^ I'm sure they'll love you!

Yess yokai and cryptids are some of the most interesting designs imo, lots of fun stories behind them! Let me know how things go with Portsmouth, I went there on an open day and they had really good facilities (I've never seen so many Cintiqs sdfhjkl) but it's a shame about NTU, you would think they'd be more accommodating :^/

Thank you and good luck with your application too! I'm actually considering swapping a choice out. I just feel like there aren't many courses I'm that happy with; I want to do 2D and 3D and focus mainly on the art side but I think I'm asking too much.
Original post by ClockworkPaws
Yess yokai and cryptids are some of the most interesting designs imo, lots of fun stories behind them! Let me know how things go with Portsmouth, I went there on an open day and they had really good facilities (I've never seen so many Cintiqs sdfhjkl) but it's a shame about NTU, you would think they'd be more accommodating :^/

Thank you and good luck with your application too! I'm actually considering swapping a choice out. I just feel like there aren't many courses I'm that happy with; I want to do 2D and 3D and focus mainly on the art side but I think I'm asking too much.

Wow! The cintiqs are definitely a plus ^^ I'll definitely keep you up to date!

And I completely understand. I've been 2D-oriented for ages now, but 3D has recently caught my interest too (*cough* blame Spider-Verse *cough*). Even if you're struggling now, I'm sure you'll find the right course. I guess courses that focus on one area but allow you to switch are a good option (I know about Hertfordshire, but not much about others. I'm sure you know best ahah). Whatever hapoens, I'm confident you'll be an amazing animator °^° Good luck! Keep me up to date ^¶^
Hiii, I'm Kate
University choices: DMU is my firm choice and Falmouth is my insurance choice to study Fashion Design at both
What subject(s) are currently studying?: BTEC Fashion
Predicted A2 grades: I'm not actually doing A-Levels. But my BTEC predicted grades are D*D*D*
GCSE Grades: average :dontknow:
Reply 13
Original post by kateee.mcelduff
Hiii, I'm Kate
University choices: DMU is my firm choice and Falmouth is my insurance choice to study Fashion Design at both
What subject(s) are currently studying?: BTEC Fashion
Predicted A2 grades: I'm not actually doing A-Levels. But my BTEC predicted grades are D*D*D*
GCSE Grades: average :dontknow:

How did your interview go for DMU? Do you think they were more bothered about the portfolio or how you answered the questions? I had my interview today for fashion design at dmu and it’s my first choice ! hard to tell how my interview went
University choices: University for the Creative Arts, De Montfort University, Arts University Bournemouth, Coventry University and University of Northampton
(I've been invited to interview with UCA in Feb)

What subject(s) are currently studying?: I'm currently at university on a Biology degree but I've decided to change since I already have A levels in art and design subjects (Graphic Design, Photography and Btec Art and Design)

Why Illustration? I've always loved lllustration, I'm heavily inspired by comic book covers and character design as well as animation, particularly 2D animation and the concept art that goes into it, Glen Keane and Hayao Miyazaki being my biggest inspirations since I was 6 years old. Within the last year or so I've really gotten into digital art which I enjoy so much and hope to go further with it.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I'm a mature student (24) whose always dreamed of being an artist of some description, I'm also a huge nerd so I'm forever drawing the nerdiest stuff haha.
Hi I'm Sophie :smile:

University choices: I'm applying to NUA for Graphic Design

What subject(s) are currently studying?
: I'm currently studying the level 3 UAL Extended Diploma of Graphic Design, having previously studied the level 3 UAL Diploma of Graphic Design

Predicted A2 grades: My predicted grade is a Distinction (3 A* equivalent), and duruing my first year I got a Distinction!

GCSE Grades:

Eng Lit: 8
Eng Lang: 7
Maths: 7
Core Science: A
Add Science: A
PSHE: A
Business Studies: A*
Graphic Products: A*
ICT: A*
Spanish: D (I hated Spanish lol)

Why Animation/ Graphic Design/ Fashion/ Photography/ Illustration? I chose Graphic Design because it spoke to me in a way that no other subject did! It combines my love of branding and business with creation and art! (Obviously, this is a shortened version of my answer!)

BA or BSC Product Design? It's a BA degree :smile: but I'm considering an MA in Graphic Design and Typography at a different university after my BA

Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I already have a job at a business consulting agency as their in-house graphic designer!

Good luck to everyone else applying!
Hellosss Im Dani

University choices: Arts Bournemouth, Bournemouth, Uni Creative arts London, Hertfordshire, Ravensbourne.

What subject(s) are currently studying?: L3 UAL Extended diploma Animation & VFX

Predicted A2 grades: Distinction mah boiz

GCSE Grades: they all sucked and u dont need to know (I did pass them btw)

Why Animation: (I hate this question, I can't express my self outwards so i apologise) Being completely honest , I straight on love animation, only thing is i cant explain it or know the reason. I do like creating characters, illustrations, stories, but doesnt every artist say that? So I guess i grew up with it, and only recently recognised how each part of my life just somehow moulded me into this art student who wants to work really hard for this industry. This is the only thing that makes me happy and will probably keep me sane xD, I guess I'm really Stubborn without a reason

but yea do say u like making stuff, alot of stuff related to animation in ur own original phrase at your interview, dont say what I said probably wont work xdd

BA

|| I've already gone to the Arts uni Bournemouth interview and got accepted on the day, so if u need tips you can ask me :smile: ||

So I worked as an elf and its painful, dont do that job.
Also I like persona hehehheheh

Hope you guys get your first choices
Original post by DogeMaster05
Hellosss Im Dani

University choices: Arts Bournemouth, Bournemouth, Uni Creative arts London, Hertfordshire, Ravensbourne.

What subject(s) are currently studying?: L3 UAL Extended diploma Animation & VFX

Predicted A2 grades: Distinction mah boiz

GCSE Grades: they all sucked and u dont need to know (I did pass them btw)

Why Animation: (I hate this question, I can't express my self outwards so i apologise) Being completely honest , I straight on love animation, only thing is i cant explain it or know the reason. I do like creating characters, illustrations, stories, but doesnt every artist say that? So I guess i grew up with it, and only recently recognised how each part of my life just somehow moulded me into this art student who wants to work really hard for this industry. This is the only thing that makes me happy and will probably keep me sane xD, I guess I'm really Stubborn without a reason

but yea do say u like making stuff, alot of stuff related to animation in ur own original phrase at your interview, dont say what I said probably wont work xdd

BA

|| I've already gone to the Arts uni Bournemouth interview and got accepted on the day, so if u need tips you can ask me :smile: ||

So I worked as an elf and its painful, dont do that job.
Also I like persona hehehheheh

Hope you guys get your first choices

Literally any advice for interviews would be a god send, I'm awful at speaking to people! I know some people that just had an interview at AUB for perfoming arts related subjects and they got rejected even though their grades are top notch :/

Also yassss Personaaaaaa
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Nicryptid
Literally any advice for interviews would be a god send, I'm awful at speaking to people! I know some people that just had an interview at AUB for perfoming arts related subjects and they got rejected even though their grades are top notch :/

Also yassss Personaaaaaa

Every University is different, Like AUB and Hertfordshire, their like miles apart.

With AUB they really assess you as a person, thats why they have group interviews and those little experiments they do like drawing observational (they say "dont worry its nothing to do with the interview : DDD" , their lying their testing you). They dont need to see professional quality work like hertfordshire, they wanna see you as an individual who's devoted. As well as your portfolio obviously but for the animation course they kept repeating 'You dont have to be good at drawing, as long as your enthusiastic about it'. . So I guess my advice is be a really really likeable person, talk about your work or the subject even if they dont ask you anything, show quantity (a lot of life drawing that really shows your trying your best). I know it sucks for it to be difficult to talk, but try your best. I'm sure they'll see you really want this : ) .

They also look at life drawing longer than they do with concepts and illustrations

I only know how it works for the animation course, other course teachers are different they can't always be chill so you just gotta read the situation while there.

Sorry I dont know much about other universities cus I withdrew them after top 2 offers, they were too far for me to travel by myself ;-;
My friends have applied to UCL, DMU, Herts, so can always ask them how it went. Hope this helped, even a little bit.

sneaked in some persona fanart :colondollar:
Original post by DogeMaster05
Every University is different, Like AUB and Hertfordshire, their like miles apart.

With AUB they really assess you as a person, thats why they have group interviews and those little experiments they do like drawing observational (they say "dont worry its nothing to do with the interview : DDD" , their lying their testing you). They dont need to see professional quality work like hertfordshire, they wanna see you as an individual who's devoted. As well as your portfolio obviously but for the animation course they kept repeating 'You dont have to be good at drawing, as long as your enthusiastic about it'. . So I guess my advice is be a really really likeable person, talk about your work or the subject even if they dont ask you anything, show quantity (a lot of life drawing that really shows your trying your best). I know it sucks for it to be difficult to talk, but try your best. I'm sure they'll see you really want this : ) .

They also look at life drawing longer than they do with concepts and illustrations

I only know how it works for the animation course, other course teachers are different they can't always be chill so you just gotta read the situation while there.

Sorry I dont know much about other universities cus I withdrew them after top 2 offers, they were too far for me to travel by myself ;-;
My friends have applied to UCL, DMU, Herts, so can always ask them how it went. Hope this helped, even a little bit.

sneaked in some persona fanart :colondollar:

Thanks for the advice and the heads up for interviews! I'm super nervous about the drawing observational, catch me screwing up a stick figure when I'm under pressure haha! I looked up other people's experiences with a UCA interview and none of them mentioned a drawing obs so here's hoping they won't do that?? As for AUB, I havent gotten as far as an invite to interview but I'm going to try and prep myself for it if I do get one!

I'm already at university doing a bio degree so I don't have a portfolio that's likely up to their standards like someone straight from sixth form would, it's just something I've worked on in my spare time but I'm trying to get as much extra info on portfolios as I can to hopefully make it passable :')

Latest