The Student Room Group

Calling all gcse students - brand new online revision tool

Hi all,
Me and a group of other students are in the process of creating a brand new online revision tool for GCSE and A Level students to be released September 2019.
We want to help as many people as possible and motivate you to study so we would appreciate ANY suggestions for what you would like or would have liked during your GCSEs. With the new changes to the specifications and new GCSE formats there aren't many revision tools and resources out there - we want to change that.

Please let us know the following:
1) What Subjects and Exam boards you would like

2) Format(s) of Content you would prefer
Examples include
- Short brief videos
- Long detailed videos
- Detailed Explanatory Notes/Revision Guide
-Mindmaps
-Condensed Chapter Notes - Cheat Sheets
-Past paper/Exam Questions
- Blog Posts and Advice Posts
- Online/Printed resources
- Make your own resources (e.g. Flashcards)
- Shared resource section (People can upload their own resources and access resources made by others)
- ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS
Please include as many or as few as would apply to you

3) If you would be willing to pay, would you prefer:
- small fee of £5/month (discounted annual payment of £45-55)
or
- a one-off payment lifetime access fee

Example Answer:
1) AQA - Maths, English Language and English Literature, Spanish
Edexcel (iGCSE) - Biology, Chemistry, Physics
OCR A - Religious Studies
2) Notes, Detailed Videos and Mindmaps
3)If the resources are really good then I don't mind paying £5 per month

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds, we want to hear from the people that would benefit from it. Tell us what you want and we'll provide it!

Feel free to PM me any questions about it.
(edited 5 years ago)
1) Edexcel- Maths, English literature, English Language, Geography, French
WJEC Eduquas- Religious Studies
AQA- Biology, Chemistry, Physics
2) I can't think of anything else
3) My parents don't really have the spare money to spend on anything.
Original post by Obolinda
1) Edexcel- Maths, English literature, English Language, Geography, French
WJEC Eduquas- Religious Studies
AQA- Biology, Chemistry, Physics
2) I can't think of anything else
3) My parents don't really have the spare money to spend on anything.

Of the above options for option 2, which would you prefer for your personal revision? Also, We are adding a bursary option for people who cannot afford to pay at all so if your parents can't afford it, don't worry. Thank you for your response.
Original post by TrinitaBolton14
Of the above options for option 2, which would you prefer for your personal revision? Also, We are adding a bursary option for people who cannot afford to pay at all so if your parents can't afford it, don't worry. Thank you for your response.

Long detailed videos, cheat sheets, past papers
1. There is not much support out there for OCR Maths when compared to Edexcel Maths. It will be nice to have more help on OCR type questions for Maths.
Original post by Amoosan
1. There is not much support out there for OCR Maths when compared to Edexcel Maths. It will be nice to have more help on OCR type questions for Maths.

Okay, we have added OCR Maths to the list of requested subjects. Thank you for your response.
Reply 6
really isnt a market for this anymore, everything you'd ever need is already free and well known
Original post by eeq
really isnt a market for this anymore, everything you'd ever need is already free and well known

Thank you for your opinion eeq. In our experience, rarely are the well known resources perfect, if any and one thing we found is that often people have to use various websites in order to revise effectively. We're trying to combat this problem by having everything in one place. Thank you for your feedback
Reply 8
Do something similar to Hegarty Maths. Do a system where you watch the video, and then answer questions, giving you a chance to correct your answer, telling you what you got wrong etc. GCSE Higher/foundation combined science aqa would be good please
Original post by qwertyK
Do something similar to Hegarty Maths. Do a system where you watch the video, and then answer questions, giving you a chance to correct your answer, telling you what you got wrong etc. GCSE Higher/foundation combined science aqa would be good please

This is a good idea, thank you very much. I will add combined science to the list. Is there any particular exam board you would like to request?
Original post by TrinitaBolton14
Hi all,
Me and a group of other students are in the process of creating a brand new online revision tool for GCSE and A Level students to be released September 2019.
We want to help as many people as possible and motivate you to study so we would appreciate ANY suggestions for what you would like or would have liked during your GCSEs. With the new changes to the specifications and new GCSE formats there aren't many revision tools and resources out there - we want to change that.

Please let us know the following:
1) What Subjects and Exam boards you would like

2) Format(s) of Content you would prefer
Examples include
- Short brief videos
- Long detailed videos
- Detailed Explanatory Notes/Revision Guide
-Mindmaps
-Condensed Chapter Notes - Cheat Sheets
-Past paper/Exam Questions
- Blog Posts and Advice Posts
- Online/Printed resources
- Make your own resources (e.g. Flashcards)
- Shared resource section (People can upload their own resources and access resources made by others)
- ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS
Please include as many or as few as would apply to you

3) If you would be willing to pay, would you prefer:
- small fee of £5/month (discounted annual payment of £45-55)
or
- a one-off payment lifetime access fee

Example Answer:
1) AQA - Maths, English Language and English Literature, Spanish
Edexcel (iGCSE) - Biology, Chemistry, Physics
OCR A - Religious Studies
2) Notes, Detailed Videos and Mindmaps
3)If the resources are really good then I don't mind paying £5 per month

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds, we want to hear from the people that would benefit from it. Tell us what you want and we'll provide it!

Feel free to PM me any questions about it.

1)AQA - English lit/lang, French
Edexcel - Biology, chemistry, physics

2) Yeah the ones you have listed, but like vocab lists / lists of phrases useful in exams for languages?

3) TBH a lot of students won't be able to buy anything, either because they / their parents don't have the money for it, or they don't know whether it will be useful and can't afford to lose money on something that isn't much use. If it is just slightly better revision resources with the added convenience of all being in one place, then I wouldn't want to pay for it tbh, especially if it was expensive.
(edited 5 years ago)
sounds like mathswatch//gcsepod tools that a lot of schools subscribe to

Quick Reply

Latest