The Student Room Group

will UK teachers ever be paid well?

honestly as a teacher trainee who has seen first hand the amount of work teachers do, it's appalling to know how much they get paid. why is this and will it ever change? we should receive triple the amount we currenly receive imo (which is 2k so tripling it would be 6k for those who think it would be a crazy amount)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
honestly as a teacher trainee who has seen first hand the amount of work teachers do, it's appalling to know how much they get paid. why is this and will it ever change? we should receive triple the amount we currenly receive imo

I’d disagree
Original post by mattlcfc
I’d disagree

elaborate please.
elaborate please.

Firstly, I think the majority of teachers are great, don’t get me wrong. I assume you haven’t gone into teaching for the money?

I believe that teachers should be paid more, they’re underpaid. However, teachers shouldn’t be paid “triple the amount” for working 39 weeks. You get a lot of holidays more than any other job really.

In addition, I feel if teachers were paid more then too many would go into teaching for money which is wrong when they should be motivated to make a difference. I think there should be a fine balance between them being paid well but not amazingly or they’d be in it for the money.
Reply 4
honestly as a teacher trainee who has seen first hand the amount of work teachers do, it's appalling to know how much they get paid. why is this and will it ever change? we should receive triple the amount we currenly receive imo

Why? Have you become three times more effective?
Reply 5

Do you think the workload is too high or the pay too low?
Reply 6
The truth is, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

Teaching in Britain is only attractive to those who have a passion for teaching or can't find jobs with a comparable salary elsewhere. That's probably why there is a glut of history, English, French, and mediocre primary school teachers but it's hard to find good computer science teachers because people with the knowledge and the qualifications can usually find careers with better pay and conditions in industry.
Firstly, I think the majority of teachers are great, don’t get me wrong. I assume you haven’t gone into teaching for the money?

I believe that teachers should be paid more, they’re underpaid. However, teachers shouldn’t be paid “triple the amount” for working 39 weeks. You get a lot of holidays more than any other job really.

In addition, I feel if teachers were paid more then too many would go into teaching for money which is wrong when they should be motivated to make a difference. I think there should be a fine balance between them being paid well but not amazingly or they’d be in it for the money.

The holidays (perhaps other than summer) are spent marking
Original post by ajj2000
Do you think the workload is too high or the pay too low?

workload is way too high and the pay could be better
Original post by Drewski
Why? Have you become three times more effective?

teachers in general are way too overworked

I slightly disagree about the working 39 weeks.
Yes, they may get school holidays off, but quite often they do work for some of those holidays- for example marking work, planning lessons, preparing the classroom and other stuff needed during the summer holidays, teacher training etc. So whilst they are off some of the time in the holidays, they certainly arent off for all of it like people think.
workload is way too high and the pay could be better

Have you looked into schools like the Michaela school in Wembley which have done loads to reduce workload - and have amazing teachers as a result? Hopefully other schools will try similar initiatives.
teachers in general are way too overworked

Same can be argued of any number of public servants.
Original post by ajj2000
Have you looked into schools like the Michaela school in Wembley which have done loads to reduce workload - and have amazing teachers as a result? Hopefully other schools will try similar initiatives.

my nephew actually goes there. lessons start at 7.45 and finish at 4.30. its like a military camp there. the only pros is that they get 1-2 wxtra weeks of holidays
my nephew actually goes there. lessons start at 7.45 and finish at 4.30. its like a military camp there. the only pros is that they get 1-2 wxtra weeks of holidays

teachers don't take marking home, don't work in the holidays.

Look at their website - the maths department CVs look like some hedge fund! They have to hide the people with PPE degrees from Oxford at the bottom.
Original post by ajj2000

Look at their website - the maths department CVs look like some hedge fund! They have to hide the people with PPE degrees from Oxford at the bottom.

what do you mean?
what do you mean?

Well - look at the page https://mcsbrent.co.uk/teaching-staff/

lots of first class degrees from impressive universities help by photogenic young people. These are the CVs of people who chose to do teaching when they would be very credible in top city jobs. The school has been recruiting for someone who can teach STEP level - how many state schools aim that high?
Original post by Drewski
Same can be argued of any number of public servants.

Have you even seen local council workers or civil servants?
"triple" the current pay? and do you want a "gabillion gatrillion" pounds with that?
Original post by ajj2000
Well - look at the page https://mcsbrent.co.uk/teaching-staff/

lots of first class degrees from impressive universities help by photogenic young people. These are the CVs of people who chose to do teaching when they would be very credible in top city jobs. The school has been recruiting for someone who can teach STEP level - how many state schools aim that high?

thats amazing. the majority are from top unis. I wonder if they still get paid the same as other teachers? isn't it an independent school?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending