The Student Room Group

will UK teachers ever be paid well?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bang Outta Order
"triple" the current pay? and do you want a "gabillion gatrillion" pounds with that?

even trippling the current pay would't come close to what other professionals get. it would just be 6k a month
Original post by Secretnerd123
thats amazing. the majority are from top unis. I wonder if they still get paid the same as other teachers? isn't it an independent school?

I don't know - its a state school but I'm not sure if they have different T+Cs, or hardship pay due to the location. I read a book they published which was pretty interesting and very much at variance to the norm. In a lot of ways I think it takes ideas from Caribean high schools. Some good you tube interviews with the headmistress.
even trippling the current pay would't come close to what other professionals get. it would just be 6k a month

teachers dont only earn £2k a month other than as a starting salary. Other professional dont generally earn £6k a month - certainly outside the SE.
Original post by ajj2000
teachers dont only earn £2k a month other than as a starting salary. Other professional dont generally earn £6k a month - certainly outside the SE.

well then how much do teachers make? im only on my pgce but online shows 2k after tax
Original post by ajj2000
Have you even seen local council workers or civil servants?

I've seen great ones and I've seen bad ones.

Exactly as I have with teachers.

What's your point?
well then how much do teachers make? im only on my pgce but online shows 2k after tax

I thought around £35k gross when experienced before additional pay for progression/ responsibilities? And other professions rarely average £6k after tax - thats high even before tax.
I hope it does because I want to teach Psychology, but a job like teaching, it’s never about the money.
Original post by Shazza1233
I hope it does because I want to teach Psychology, but a job like teaching, it’s never about the money.

Im currently training as a primary school teacher but after a fee years I want to teach psychology in sec school/sixthform. good luck :smile:
Original post by Drewski
I've seen great ones and I've seen bad ones.

Exactly as I have with teachers.

What's your point?

Office type LA workers/ civil servants - both of which I've come across a lot through work - have amazingly easy lives. Long holidays, short days, flexitime, little stress or pressure of deadlines. I could see how anyone with that option would find teaching, nursing or private sector work unappealing.
Original post by ajj2000
I thought around £35k gross when experienced before additional pay for progression/ responsibilities? And other professions rarely average £6k after tax - thats high even before tax.

35k is still less than 3k a month
so how much do lawyers, those who work for businesses in the city and doctors get? (rhetorical question)
35k is still less than 3k a month
so how much do lawyers, those who work for businesses in the city and doctors get? (rhetorical question)

I can take a somewhat reasonable guess based on having seen a lot of payrolls. What part of the country and how 'top' a graduate are we talking about.
Original post by ajj2000
Office type LA workers/ civil servants - both of which I've come across a lot through work - have amazingly easy lives. Long holidays, short days, flexitime, little stress or pressure of deadlines. I could see how anyone with that option would find teaching, nursing or private sector work unappealing.

Gross generalisation. There are plenty who have ridiculous targets and pressures on them to produce results, who work odd hours and who have remarkable influence on vital parts of the world we live in. They are no more and no less integral to society than teachers are.
Original post by Drewski
Gross generalisation. There are plenty who have ridiculous targets and pressures on them to produce results, who work odd hours and who have remarkable influence on vital parts of the world we live in. They are no more and no less integral to society than teachers are.

I like generalisations - they are generally true! I've had many years of working alongside them so feel qualified to make a judgement.
Original post by ajj2000
I like generalisations - they are generally true! I've had many years of working alongside them so feel qualified to make a judgement.

You're not unique in that. I've worked in schools, I've worked in local councils, and I've worked in public service (and I'll add in MoD / armed forces to that as well), and I'm equally confident in my judgment.

No one public servant is any more worthy of call out than any other. They are large groups, with good and bad in each. And we have a finite amount of money.
Original post by Drewski
You're not unique in that. I've worked in schools, I've worked in local councils, and I've worked in public service (and I'll add in MoD / armed forces to that as well), and I'm equally confident in my judgment.

No one public servant is any more worthy of call out than any other. They are large groups, with good and bad in each. And we have a finite amount of money.

Original post by ajj2000

please dont derail the thread
please dont derail the thread

It's not derailing it. It's relevant. Why call out teachers, when other public service workers are just as eligible?

Considering you're now asking how much they actually get paid, it's a wonder why you even made the thread. If you don't know what they get, why do you think they're worth more?
Reply 36
On the topic of Michaela School, I don't think their staff get any special payments - their jobs are advertised as paying the inner London teacher pay scale. However, I don't think they attract top graduates because of their efforts to reduce workload (though it probably helps and is consequential of the measures they take). Their focus on strict discipline and high academic standards is what likely appeals to most top graduates. Someone here pointed out that they are young - most of them haven't been in teaching long and probably won't stay. Many of them tried Teach First and likely planned to go on a grad scheme after but happened to find Michaela. Others have quickly moved on to management positions at other schools to spread a Michaela style ethos and to earn higher salaries.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
It's not derailing it. It's relevant. Why call out teachers, when other public service workers are just as eligible?

Considering you're now asking how much they actually get paid, it's a wonder why you even made the thread. If you don't know what they get, why do you think they're worth more?

I know they make around 2k. i'm not sure the exact pay since Its too personal to ask the teachers I work alongside during my placements
The current salary for teaching really is unfair especially for those who actually has the passion and love for children and teaching. It doesn't help that there's a lot of people that does irrelevant degrees and only go into teaching because there's nothing else for them to do.
As a future primary school teacher, triple pay sounds amazing but unfortunately thats just not realistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending