The Student Room Group

Home Office Caseworker

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Choppy2015
I'm based at bootle you may end up on my team as 2 have left us to go over to town! It's a fab office, brand new. I think the town offices are a lot older and not as nice. I was gutted when I got told I was going to bootle but now I'm really glad. If you have any questions just ask. I'm EO on euro casework and have been here since July. X

The town offices are a lot nicer than most government departments I’ve worked in but the Bootle building is newer. Does it still have the gym onsite. I used to work in the high rise offices opposite the Bootle site. Now that is an old run down office if I ever saw one.
Original post by tlostitch
May well be joining you then! I'm training EU until thurs in one of those tiny meeting rooms 😂. But yeah, also don't feel so bad about Bootle now. How did those two people manage a move into town?

They are trying to accommodate people where they can I think. It does mean they have to go on different departments tho until the new scheme is rolled out properly so could end up anywhere if you express a specific desire or need to be in town. It's all according to business need we keep being told. Might see you round! Will keep a look out for new starters. 😊
Original post by Screenager77
The town offices are a lot nicer than most government departments I’ve worked in but the Bootle building is newer. Does it still have the gym onsite. I used to work in the high rise offices opposite the Bootle site. Now that is an old run down office if I ever saw one.

Yes it has the gym and an open plan area downstairs with a deli, a restaurant and an outside garden space you can sit out on at lunch. It's nice! Nice wide large desks as well. Good for all the paperwork we still deal with!
Can someone who has already started the role DM me please? Just need some help regarding Christmas hours etc. Thanks 🙂
Original post by Getmehome
Today was an overview of UKVI, HR stuff e.g. flexi policy, sick leave, annual leave. Did some e-learning on health and safety etc. Quite a short first day but informative :smile:

I start on Monday and although my part time hours are Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays Im presuming I will need to be there Tuesday aswell for training? I will sort child care out for tuesday just incase!
Original post by Getmehome
I've just started today, currently on 2 days induction in the passport office building then out of around 10 of us, 2 are going to Bootle but both of them are part-time. The others are either Capital building or passport office... happy to answer any other questions if I can!

Hi did the part time workers attend every day for training? Im part time and start Monday 19th and although my part time working hours are mondays wednesdays and Fridays Im sorting childcare out for tuesday as im thinking I will defo need to be in then?
Original post by Choppy2015
I'm based at bootle you may end up on my team as 2 have left us to go over to town! It's a fab office, brand new. I think the town offices are a lot older and not as nice. I was gutted when I got told I was going to bootle but now I'm really glad. If you have any questions just ask. I'm EO on euro casework and have been here since July. X

I start Monday 19th EO and If i get sent to Bootle where will I park? and how much is it? travelling from the Wirral and panicking about parking:frown: Bootle will end up well more expensive for me eeeekkkk
Original post by kstev395
I start Monday 19th EO and If i get sent to Bootle where will I park? and how much is it? travelling from the Wirral and panicking about parking:frown: Bootle will end up well more expensive for me

I don’t work there yet as I’m still waiting but I live near. They have an on-site car park but not sure of how they allocate spaces, there is also another car park site a minutes walk away on Stanley road.
Hi did the part time workers attend every day for training? Im part time and start Monday 19th and although my part time working hours are mondays wednesdays and Fridays Im sorting childcare out for tuesday as im thinking I will defo need to be in then?

I’m part time also, I have Wednesdays off each week. Our training was Wednesday to Friday the first week, then another two full weeks. I had to work all of them and then they just paid me for the 3 Wednesdays I’d worked.
There was a meeting today, after Monday coming there won't be start dates until Jan 7th. And there is a list to move from Bootle into town but it looks likely you'd go to the call centre there, so I'm not risking it. And they said parking is limited and they're doing a draw to see who gets it for 3 months and making a list from that. There is parking, some people pay and some have found a free bit of land near Oriel road station
I don’t mind waiting if it means avoiding the call centre, I purposely missed my Interviews for them when they were recruiting.
I don’t mind waiting if it means avoiding the call centre, I purposely missed my Interviews for them when they were recruiting.

Everyone here is saying the exact same but it doesn't seem to be making a difference, this week's intake there's a few of us who wanna go to town, but looking like we're gonna wait until at least the end of probation
Everyone here is saying the exact same but it doesn't seem to be making a difference, this week's intake there's a few of us who wanna go to town, but looking like we're gonna wait until at least the end of probation

Is it AO and EO going call centre.
Is it AO and EO going call centre.

Assume so, we're all EO starting this week and they haven't really talked much about specific grades or anything yet, we came straight onto training which apparently isn't even relevant until the end of March, so we're just kinda going with the flow
Assume so, we're all EO starting this week and they haven't really talked much about specific grades or anything yet, we came straight onto training which apparently isn't even relevant until the end of March, so we're just kinda going with the flow

So is the end of March when we will all officially be caseworkers as the job advertised? And anyone who has been working on any other project to meet business demand in the meantime will be moved over to casework then?

Thanks for giving us these updates, it’s much appreciated!
Original post by Mawile
So is the end of March when we will all officially be caseworkers as the job advertised? And anyone who has been working on any other project to meet business demand in the meantime will be moved over to casework then?

Thanks for giving us these updates, it’s much appreciated!

end of march is the start of the new settlement scheme (what we've been training on this week) and that's currently being trialled in beta testing right now. Once we've done this training we will go onto casework but it won't be the new scheme or software (looks like after march it's gonna be a lot easier). Experienced people have gone over to euro legacy and other areas that need people. So at the moment it just seems like we're being trained on what will be casework rather than what we'll actually be doing until then, so it will be casework but just a bit different and not the new scheme. I like to keep people in here updated as much as possible to try and help anyone who needs info, because I appreciated so much when people put into in here whilst I was waiting :smile:
end of march is the start of the new settlement scheme (what we've been training on this week) and that's currently being trialled in beta testing right now. Once we've done this training we will go onto casework but it won't be the new scheme or software (looks like after march it's gonna be a lot easier). Experienced people have gone over to euro legacy and other areas that need people. So at the moment it just seems like we're being trained on what will be casework rather than what we'll actually be doing until then, so it will be casework but just a bit different and not the new scheme. I like to keep people in here updated as much as possible to try and help anyone who needs info, because I appreciated so much when people put into in here whilst I was waiting :smile:

Thank you so much for all the info! do EOs manage a small team aswell as do casework?
Thank you so much for all the info! do EOs manage a small team aswell as do casework?

No, EO isn't a manager grade here. (we get a lot of breaks during training hence all my fast responses 😂)
Does this mean they will not be making anymore appointments until next year? I am still in the stage of the application where my status is on the reserve list?
No, EO isn't a manager grade here. (we get a lot of breaks during training hence all my fast responses 😂)

Oh I see! Im in two minds to opt for the call centre just to be in town and still get paid EO level for being in call centre untill next year casework. But alot of people dont like the call centre from what ive heard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending