The Student Room Group

Home Office Caseworker

Hi everyone

I've recently applied for the Home Office Caseworker position (Liverpool)

Really really nervous about the interview / assessment and wondering if anyone else has any advice for me?

I believe the main competency they'll be looking at in the interview is 'delivering at pace'.

I've had two experiences of Civil Service interviews before but I messed up with the STAR technique on both. I don't think my answers where strong enough!

I think doing my masters I should of applied for the EO position but ended up applying for the AO. It says I've scored well in the sift test but now my applications on hold while I wait to hear back.

Would be great to discuss with anyone else who's in a similar position :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Flx1,

I have also applied for these vacancies, both AO and EO.

I have not previously had any interviews for the civil service so am also be nervous the assessment day.

I believe the interview is for Delivering at Pace too, so I will be planning to have two examples prepared and hope for the best. I am worried though that they may ask about another compentecy and I won't be prepared.

Have you attended a case study assessment before? Just wondering how difficult this would be.

It's great to know there are so many vacancies available but on the other hand I have heard a lot of people apply for these.

Would be lovely to hear if you make it through to the interview stage. I will also update you too if you like.
Reply 2
Hey

Yes please keep me updated on your progress and I'll do the same :smile:

I believe the assessment will be written and about 45 mins long. Wondering if this will be a team thing or individual?

Hoping to book an appointment with my uni to get help with the interview stage!
Reply 3
The civil service judgment test closes today at midnight so hopefully interviews will start to be offered shortly. I wonder how many people will be interviewed for these positions?
Hi guys
New to this forum not at uni either (bit too old now) so joined after doing a bit of research for this job and this post coming up after reading some of the civil service graduate scheme threads

I have also completed the online CJST and have done better than I thought in relation to the test group my percentage is scored against, but just to make you aware that the actual pass mark I believe is only available after the date for completing it for applicants has passed which is end of today then a successful or unsuccessful can be given.
If you knew this already I apologise for stating the obvious

I am also looking for any info on good case study examples to practice for the AC or any posters on here who have experienced doing them in an assessment centre environment as it has been a very very long time since I sat in a classroom environment but you can only do your best. I'm interested also what your scores were in the test if you wouldn't mind divulging them, if not it's not a problem just getting an idea of averages but will find out soon enough if I have progressed with 92% and yes even with my score I'm still worried, I have read enough posts on here ref civil service job applications that nothing is ever certain.

if I get any info ref the AC will post on here.

And good luck to you both
Reply 5
Original post by silver67surfer
Hi guys
New to this forum not at uni either (bit too old now) so joined after doing a bit of research for this job and this post coming up after reading some of the civil service graduate scheme threads

I have also completed the online CJST and have done better than I thought in relation to the test group my percentage is scored against, but just to make you aware that the actual pass mark I believe is only available after the date for completing it for applicants has passed which is end of today then a successful or unsuccessful can be given.
If you knew this already I apologise for stating the obvious

I am also looking for any info on good case study examples to practice for the AC or any posters on here who have experienced doing them in an assessment centre environment as it has been a very very long time since I sat in a classroom environment but you can only do your best. I'm interested also what your scores were in the test if you wouldn't mind divulging them, if not it's not a problem just getting an idea of averages but will find out soon enough if I have progressed with 92% and yes even with my score I'm still worried, I have read enough posts on here ref civil service job applications that nothing is ever certain.

if I get any info ref the AC will post on here.

And good luck to you both

Hi and welcome to the group.

Unfortunately I haven't attended an assessment centre before for the civil service so can't provide any information unfortunately. All I know is what was mentioned in the job advert, the assessment centre will last 1 - 3 hours and is an interview for delivering at pace and written assessment for the other two compentecies, can't remember off the top of my head what they were sorry. I'm curious to find out if the written assessment is paper or computer.

I applied for both the AO & EO vacancies, for the AO my score was 99%, very shocked it was high but the EO was 69% however the feedback chart suggested I needed improvement for the compentecies required on the EO position so unsure if I will get an interview for that one.

If I find out any further information I'll update the forum. Hopefully it will be a nice and relaxed process 🤞.
Reply 6
Good luck to you too.
Was thinking the same thing ref paper/computer possibly both but will probably try and cover every eventuality not looking forward to it to be honest at the age of 50 I thought my next time in a classroom would be collecting grandchildren or watching the school play.

Well done on your score too very impressive
Reply 8
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update, I have just checked the civil service website and my EO application has been unsuccessful and the AO application is still on hold. I haven't received any emails either.

Good luck to everyone.
Sorry to hear that.
At least you have the AO one which I'm willing to bet you will get an interview/invite to AC
I have been checking constantly since yesterday and nothing yet for the AO application yet either I have a feeling the pass mark will be high 70s low 80s so I'm keeping fingers, tongue, arms and legs crossed if that fails well ill try my eyes crossed next time
Reply 10
Iv got my fingers and everything crossed too, I am hoping we might find out tomorrow.

Good luck.
Just an update that people unsuccessful in the AO test have started to be informed
Reply 12
Thanks will have to keep checking my emails and the website
Original post by Chantelle_89
Thanks will have to keep checking my emails and the website

No email was sent just checked their application on the portal and the application was gone and after they checked it was moved into withdrawn / unsuccessful applications I suppose if you have done a few applications it will be less obvious as they have 5 ongoing awaiting action
My boyfriend got 69% for AO and 76% for EO both unsuccessful. Must have been a really high intake of applications. So annoying though, previously that score would have guaranteed you a date at the assessment centre!
Original post by rebecca_:)
My boyfriend got 69% for AO and 76% for EO both unsuccessful. Must have been a really high intake of applications. So annoying though, previously that score would have guaranteed you a date at the assessment centre!

Like I said previously I had a feeling it will would be high 70s to low 80s but take heart in the fact that there is always other vacancies coming up and he knows what to expect and don't be too disheartened but I wish him luck next time and at least he has your support and lots of advice on here
The only saving grace is for me that the ac dates may well be delayed a few days and I have 2 weeks holiday starting on Friday so no worry needing a day off work if and only if I get invited (crossed my eyes this time)
Reply 17
I think the interviews are meant to last for 2 weeks so hopefully you will be off work to attend.
Just booked my assessment day for 10th April for the EO, anyone else attending that day? Slightly nervous, as I've had interviews with CS before but no offers.

Good luck to all!
Original post by MissBunny
Just booked my assessment day for 10th April for the EO, anyone else attending that day? Slightly nervous, as I've had interviews with CS before but no offers.

Good luck to all!

Congratulations and I wish you luck.
Sorry I never applied for both to be honest but never mind may be next time.

I'm just curious when you say no offers after previous attempts is that after you have passed the interview??

And what is the format for the EO assessment is it the same as the AO and what was the final day you could book a slot ?
t
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending