The Student Room Group

Maths question helppp

I have a differentiated a term and ended up with

x^2+1 all over x^2. I need to work out the turning points or stationary points of this equation. I have equated this to 0 but end up with x^2=-1 which gives me no values what are the turning points?

@RDKGames

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xdmakdmadsak
I have a differentiated a term and ended up with

x^2+1 all over x^2. I need to work out the turning points or stationary points of this equation. I have equated this to 0 but end up with x^2=-1 which gives me no values what are the turning points?

@RDKGames

Either you differentiated it wrong, or there aren’t any.
Reply 2
Hey!

Did you differentiate the function correctly?
original function was x^2-1 all over x. @RDKGames
original function was x^2-1 all over x. @RDKGames

That has no stationary points.
is this function an injection or surjection? @RDKGames
is this function an injection or surjection? @RDKGames

What do you think? Refer to definitions
Original post by RDKGames
What do you think? Refer to definitions

Its not an injection if two elements map onto the same element?
Its not an injection if two elements map onto the same element?

If two DIFFERENT elements map onto the same 'element' then its not injective.
so this function will be surjective. So what would the inverse function be and how would you calculate that?

Inverse functions exist only if the function itself is injective. (or more strictly, it must be injective and surjective)
How would you workout the general expression using undetermined coefficients of this f(m)
q3434534.JPG

@RDKGames

Have you learnt about it?? Just try to employ it here in the exact same fashion.
Have you learnt about it?? Just try to employ it here in the exact same fashion.

I have but i cant remember how to start it

help needed
I have but i cant remember how to start it

Look at your notes!

Denote f(x)=x26x+3f(x) = x^2 - 6x +3

Define

f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)++f(n)=A0+A1n+A2n2+f(0) + f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + \ldots + f(n) = A_0 + A_1 n + A_2 n^2 + \ldots (*)

    f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)++f(n+1)=A0+A1(n+1)+A2(n+1)2+\implies f(0) + f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + \ldots + f(n+1) = A_0 + A_1 (n+1) + A_2 (n+1)^2 + \ldots (**)

Then (**) - (*) means

f(n+1)=A1+A2[(n+1)2n2]+A3[(n+1)3n3]+f(n+1) = A_1 + A_2[(n+1)^2 - n^2] + A_3 [(n+1)^3 - n^3] + \ldots

Now compare coefficients.
(edited 5 years ago)
`

Look at your notes!

Denote f(x)=x26x+3f(x) = x^2 - 6x +3

Define

f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)++f(n)=A0+A1n+A2n2+f(0) + f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + \ldots + f(n) = A_0 + A_1 n + A_2 n^2 + \ldots (*)

    f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)++f(n+1)=A0+A1(n+1)+A2(n+1)2+\implies f(0) + f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + \ldots + f(n+1) = A_0 + A_1 (n+1) + A_2 (n+1)^2 + \ldots (**)

Then (**) - (*) means

f(n+1)=A1+A2[(n+1)2n2]+A3[(n+1)3n3]+f(n+1) = A_1 + A_2[(n+1)^2 - n^2] + A_3 [(n+1)^3 - n^3] + \ldots

Now compare coefficients.

How can you compare coefficeints to that?
`

How can you compare coefficeints to that?

Whats f(n+1) as a polynomial?

Then simplify the RHS to a similar form (ignoring the terms past the 3 dots) and compare the coefficients of n^2, n, and const term.
Also reason why the rest of the A_i terms must be zero.
is the quadratic also know as homogeneous differential equation or is that something else?
is the quadratic also know as homogeneous differential equation or is that something else?

Something else. A differential equation involves derivatives first of all... we don’t have that here.

Quick Reply

Latest