The Student Room Group

How to deal with getting a bad test result in your favourite subject

I love history however in my recent mock I got 10/20 I usually get 13/20 and I feel really demotivated. I usually do the best in the class I now I have done the worst. I am hugely competitive and I want to get the good marks some of peers are getting.I am really questioning if I do have the ability to do history A level.
Do you understand why you lost the marks you did? Can you improve on it next time?

I'm guessing it was an essay question, so there must have a been a problem with how you structured your answer or addressed the question.

I'm a history student at LSE - if you want to PM me one of your essay answers I can try to give you some feedback on how to improve.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
Do you understand why you lost the marks you did? Can you improve on it next time?

I'm guessing it was an essay question, so there must have a been a problem with how you structured your answer or addressed the question.

I'm a history student at LSE - if you want to PM me one of your essay answers I can try to give you some feedback on how to improve.

That would be amazing if you could help me.
Lol what weak minds, gets 50 % in one test.

Spoiler

Reply 4
“War had the greatest effect on domestic policies from 1941-75” How far do you agree with the statement

20 marks

The Vietnam war cost $200 billion dollars this was significant as it raised taxes for people in American therefore affecting domestic policies. I partially agree with the statement that war was significant in shaping domestic policies from 1941-75. However, the most important factor is Individuals but other factors like the red scare should be also be considered in changing the political landscape.

War is the second most important factor in leading to a change in domestic policies. In the period 1941-75 there were various wars including the Vietnam war, the Korean war and even the second world war. America officially got involved in the second world war in 1941. This was significant as it healed the economic crisis that hit America (Wall Street Crash) in 1929 therefore America did not have to need the help of agency made by Roosevelt to deal with the great depression. Over 1 million soldiers fought in the war and over $46 million worth of goods were made to take America out of the depression. However, Individuals are more significant as due to Roosevelt America got involved in the war. It could be argued that due to the bombing at pearl harbour in 1941 that America was forced to join the war. Nevertheless, I argue that Roosevelt wanted to join the war even before 1941 as earlier he signed the Selective Training + Service Act which registered young men between 21-30 to join the military service. This is significant as it shows how Roosevelt had intentions to go to war therefore the pearl harbour bombing; that were just a short term cause. Other wars like the Vietnam war were also significant as high taxes and other domestic policies like the Draft were introduced. The draft meant every young man was put in a lottery to choose who would fight in the war. This is significant as many young people hated the draft and were against it this led to them protesting, the fact regardless of them protesting nothing changed showed the president had the greatest power and this was due the Roosevelt who increased presidential power. It could be argued that Roosevelt listened to people and was being democratic. Regardless I still argue that Roosevelt is important as even though he did not go against democracy he led to the presidential power increasing which eventually led to it going against the American political ideologies like the separation of power.

The third most important factor in changing the domestic policies is the Red Scare and communism. In 1947-53 the Second Red Scare hit America this was significant as it caused suspicion, fear and accusation. Joseph McCarthy worsened the situation by accusing 205 members in the senate of being communists. This is important as it led to extreme fear as people believed communism has spread in the government. This led to rise of domestic policies and organisations like the House of Un-American Committee this was made to investigate the un-Americanism of government members. In 1948 it was used to convict Elizabeth Bentley of being of a Moscow spy ring. However, I argue that individuals are still more significant as in Roosevelt’s presidency people were encouraged to be part of trade unions, under agencies. Whereas in the 1950s being “soft on communism” could land you to be blacklisted. This great change is due to Truman as he was anti-communist. It could be argued that due to the Cold war the situation was worsened. However, Truman only got involved in the cold war as he as an individual was scared of communism spreading to America and this formed a basis of many of his domestic policies like the Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine in 1947.However war is more significant that the red scare as the cause of the red scare is the cold war.

Individuals are the most significant factor in leading to a change in domestic policies. Due to Johnson in 1965 there was the draft. It could be argued that Johnson was reacting to the Vietnam War however the reason Johnson reacted was due to Democrat legacy and individuals like Roosevelt and Truman he was expected to do more. Individuals are significant as the way they reacted to different situation led to different domestic policies. It could be argued that events like the Red Scare and war more significant as they led to individual’s making policies. However, it was not forced on the individual to react however as they were no laissez faire attitude the individuals were forced to take responsibility. This can be proven by the fact in 1919-20 the first red scare did not lead to many domestic policies as government believed the situation would handle itself. It could be argued that they were quota acts, but I argue they were the cause of normalcy and furthermore they were foreign policies not domestic. Furthermore, individuals like Nixon led to mistrust in government he was accused of being corrupt to prove this he owned a private house worth $10 million from taxes and he was starting a secret war in Cambodia in 1965. This is significant in affecting domestic policies as due to this the congress took a greater role in politics than the president and therefore there was a return to Normalcy.

To conclude individuals are the most important in shaping domestic policies as they were expected to do more than previous presidents, way the reacted to situations shaped the political landscape. War and the red scare are also important however by themselves they aren’t great enough factors to lead to a change in domestic policies. The third most important factor in changing the domestic policies is the Red Scare and communism. In 1947-53 the Second Red Scare hit America this was significant as it caused suspicion, fear and accusation. Joseph McCarthy worsened the situation by accusing 205 members in the senate of being communists. This is important as it led to extreme fear as people believed communism has spread in the government. This led to rise of domestic policies and organisations like the House of Un-American Committee this was made to investigate the un-Americanism of government members. In 1948 it was used to convict Elizabeth Bentley of being of a Moscow spy ring. However, I argue that individuals are still more significant as in Roosevelt’s presidency people were encouraged to be part of trade unions, under agencies. Whereas in the 1950s being “soft on communism” could land you to be blacklisted. This great change is due to Truman as he was anti-communist. It could be argued that due to the Cold war the situation was worsened. However, Truman only got involved in the cold war as he as an individual was scared of communism spreading to America and this formed a basis of many of his domestic policies like the Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine in 1947.However war is more significant that the red scare as the cause of the red scare is the cold war.

Individuals are the most significant factor in leading to a change in domestic policies. Due to Johnson in 1965 there was the draft. It could be argued that Johnson was reacting to the Vietnam War however the reason Johnson reacted was due to Democrat legacy and individuals like Roosevelt and Truman he was expected to do more. Individuals are significant as the way they reacted to different situation led to different domestic policies. It could be argued that events like the Red Scare and war more significant as they led to individual’s making policies. However, it was not forced on the individual to react however as they were no laissez faire attitude the individuals were forced to take responsibility. This can be proven by the fact in 1919-20 the first red scare did not lead to many domestic policies as government believed the situation would handle itself. It could be argued that they were quota acts, but I argue they were the cause of normalcy and furthermore they were foreign policies not domestic. Furthermore, individuals like Nixon led to mistrust in government he was accused of being corrupt to prove this he owned a private house worth $10 million from taxes and he was starting a secret war in Cambodia in 1965. This is significant in affecting domestic policies as due to this the congress took a greater role in politics than the president and therefore there was a return to Normalcy.

To conclude individuals are the most important in shaping domestic policies as they were expected to do more than previous presidents, way the reacted to situations shaped the political landscape. War and the red scare are also important however by themselves they aren’t great enough factors to lead to a change in domestic policies.
Reply 5
Original post by victoriu
“War had the greatest effect on domestic policies from 1941-75” How far do you agree with the statement

20 marks

The Vietnam war cost $200 billion dollars this was significant as it raised taxes for people in American therefore affecting domestic policies. I partially agree with the statement that war was significant in shaping domestic policies from 1941-75. However, the most important factor is Individuals but other factors like the red scare should be also be considered in changing the political landscape.

War is the second most important factor in leading to a change in domestic policies. In the period 1941-75 there were various wars including the Vietnam war, the Korean war and even the second world war. America officially got involved in the second world war in 1941. This was significant as it healed the economic crisis that hit America (Wall Street Crash) in 1929 therefore America did not have to need the help of agency made by Roosevelt to deal with the great depression. Over 1 million soldiers fought in the war and over $46 million worth of goods were made to take America out of the depression. However, Individuals are more significant as due to Roosevelt America got involved in the war. It could be argued that due to the bombing at pearl harbour in 1941 that America was forced to join the war. Nevertheless, I argue that Roosevelt wanted to join the war even before 1941 as earlier he signed the Selective Training + Service Act which registered young men between 21-30 to join the military service. This is significant as it shows how Roosevelt had intentions to go to war therefore the pearl harbour bombing; that were just a short term cause. Other wars like the Vietnam war were also significant as high taxes and other domestic policies like the Draft were introduced. The draft meant every young man was put in a lottery to choose who would fight in the war. This is significant as many young people hated the draft and were against it this led to them protesting, the fact regardless of them protesting nothing changed showed the president had the greatest power and this was due the Roosevelt who increased presidential power. It could be argued that Roosevelt listened to people and was being democratic. Regardless I still argue that Roosevelt is important as even though he did not go against democracy he led to the presidential power increasing which eventually led to it going against the American political ideologies like the separation of power.

The third most important factor in changing the domestic policies is the Red Scare and communism. In 1947-53 the Second Red Scare hit America this was significant as it caused suspicion, fear and accusation. Joseph McCarthy worsened the situation by accusing 205 members in the senate of being communists. This is important as it led to extreme fear as people believed communism has spread in the government. This led to rise of domestic policies and organisations like the House of Un-American Committee this was made to investigate the un-Americanism of government members. In 1948 it was used to convict Elizabeth Bentley of being of a Moscow spy ring. However, I argue that individuals are still more significant as in Roosevelt’s presidency people were encouraged to be part of trade unions, under agencies. Whereas in the 1950s being “soft on communism” could land you to be blacklisted. This great change is due to Truman as he was anti-communist. It could be argued that due to the Cold war the situation was worsened. However, Truman only got involved in the cold war as he as an individual was scared of communism spreading to America and this formed a basis of many of his domestic policies like the Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine in 1947.However war is more significant that the red scare as the cause of the red scare is the cold war.

To conclude individuals are the most important in shaping domestic policies as they were expected to do more than previous presidents, way the reacted to situations shaped the political landscape. War and the red scare are also important however by themselves they aren’t great enough factors to lead to a change in domestic policies. The third most important factor in changing the domestic policies is the Red Scare and communism. In 1947-53 the Second Red Scare hit America this was significant as it caused suspicion, fear and accusation. Joseph McCarthy worsened the situation by accusing 205 members in the senate of being communists. This is important as it led to extreme fear as people believed communism has spread in the government. This led to rise of domestic policies and organisations like the House of Un-American Committee this was made to investigate the un-Americanism of government members. In 1948 it was used to convict Elizabeth Bentley of being of a Moscow spy ring. However, I argue that individuals are still more significant as in Roosevelt’s presidency people were encouraged to be part of trade unions, under agencies. Whereas in the 1950s being “soft on communism” could land you to be blacklisted. This great change is due to Truman as he was anti-communist. It could be argued that due to the Cold war the situation was worsened. However, Truman only got involved in the cold war as he as an individual was scared of communism spreading to America and this formed a basis of many of his domestic policies like the Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine in 1947.However war is more significant that the red scare as the cause of the red scare is the cold war.

To conclude individuals are the most important in shaping domestic policies as they were expected to do more than previous presidents, way the reacted to situations shaped the political landscape. War and the red scare are also important however by themselves they aren’t great enough factors to lead to a change in domestic policies.

Anyone have any feedback
To start off with, your introduction has a few problems. It isn't very well structured or coherent. I would rephrase it like this:

Many different factors affected American domestic policies in the years 1941-75. War was undoubtedly a key influence on domestic policy - the Vietnam War, which began in 1955 and lasted for 20 years, cost the US government $200 billion, necessitating tax increases and reducing the amount of money available for domestic policy programmes. Other factors that affected American domestic policies include the roles played by individuals, such as *JOSEPH MCCARTHY AND PRESIDENT TRUMAN*, who *BRIEFLY EXPLAIN THEIR CONTRIBUTION*, and the Red Scare, which *BRIEFLY EXPLAIN ITS EFFECT ON DOMESTIC POLICY*. Overall, I will argue that the role played by individuals, not the impacts of war, had the greatest effect on American domestic policy in this period, because *EXPLAIN IN ONE SENTENCE WHY IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR*.

The main problem is that you are not giving any reasons - you don't even name the individuals who you are going to argue were so significant.

You aren't setting up a strong argument. There are also grammatical issues which make your writing less intelligible.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest