The Student Room Group

What do people wear at university?

I'll probably be off to uni soon. As schools have uniforms, this is a bit annoying as I'm used to that rather than my own clothes and choosing what to wear.

That combined with the fact that I am going through a change in style at the moment from casual to a bit more metrosexual means that I don't really know what to wear when I go there.

What do people wear there?

Scroll to see replies

I get up in the morning, I put on a suit.
I have no idea what metrosexual means but what I wear is just anything casual because I can't be bothered to put on something formal.
So that just means jeans, trainers, a t-shirt (long or short) and a sweater (if it's cold). I don't think anyone really cares.
Original post by Ligma Balls
I get up in the morning, I put on a suit.

Do many people wear a suit?
Clothes?
jeans/tshirt is kind of the basic standard I guess...I mean nobody really cares what you're wearing, odds are at least one person in your lecture will be in actual pyjamas so whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Original post by Joe2001

I've seen a few people regularly wear suits, one of them has a penchant for bow ties.
Boxers and socks and sandles - thats it
Reply 8
Original post by Joe2001

I ride into uni on my hearse wearing pretty casual with a black funeral tuxedo and a blood red bow tie.
How formal can one get?
Original post by Ligma Balls
I've seen a few people regularly wear suits, one of them has a penchant for bow ties.

That's really cool. Does anyone judge them for it? I would love to dress formally but worry that I would stand out.
Original post by Joe2001
That's really cool. Does anyone judge them for it? I would love to dress formally but worry that I would stand out.

You might stand out, but if you own it, then it can be your thing. For the law lot, the formal-dressing weirdos are somewhat common. Really, people make an effort for the first week and then come in wearing hoodies and trainers.
Thanks for your advice.
If I had a button down shirt, tucked into some trousers with a belt, is that too formal?
(edited 5 years ago)
What about it is too formal?
Everyone wears what they want. Some people go all out with expressing themselves and wear all sorts of different outfits and whatever, others wear whatever's comfiest, and some turn up in pyjamas and sunglasses.
basically nothing here. but i went on exchange and about half wore smart casual some folk just turned up in a suit. interesting cos turning up decently dressed was encouraged
What would be a good alternative to it?
Undergrad - hoodies and jeans
Postgrad - smart casual (smart if at a conference)
Fluffy Bunny slippers and a bathrobe
Original post by Joe2001
98% of people won't care what you're wearing. I'd suggest you shouldn't give the other 2% any cares of you own.:wink:

Thread moved to Fashion and beauty

Quick Reply

Latest