The Student Room Group

Twin Taboo.

Hi, I am an identical twin, and we both study at the same university as mature students. Recently we have been having the same issues with other students attempting to guide us to make sure we haven't written the same subject for assignments, despite not being near each other when writing assignments. It is causing me a lot of stress, and I was wondering if any other sets of twins have been through this at this stage in life. We experienced this behaviour all through early education, being singled out and were made to wear name badges for identification when other students didn't have to. I thought university would be different, but we still don't get a day on campus where somebody doesn't state "Oh my word, am I seeing double?" I am now concerned that we will be scrutinized for being from the same uterus?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am an identical twin, and we both study at the same university as mature students. Recently we have been having the same issues with other students attempting to guide us to make sure we haven't written the same subject for assignments, despite not being near each other when writing assignments. It is causing me a lot of stress, and I was wondering if any other sets of twins have been through this at this stage in life. We experienced this behaviour all through early education, being singled out and were made to wear name badges for identification when other students didn't have to. I thought university would be different, but we still don't get a day on campus where somebody doesn't state "Oh my word, am I seeing double?" I am now concerned that we will be scrutinized for being from the same uterus?

People are so inconsiderate and rude!!!!

Wearing a name badge isn't end of the world as it makes sense to allow people to know who is who 🙂😂....

There are too many rude people at university and they think because you are identical twins yous are capable of cheating with one another work but yous still have to think about what you are writing etc and actually write things up ( do both of yous write identical as well as that is the only way to say yous aren't cheating ). Perhaps it's jealousy with the other students ☺️.

The university lecturers will probably see the difference hand writing and how yous both do things done dispite being twins..

I am not sure how many identical twins has been to university together doing same course as I would have thought most identical twins would do separate degrees course, I do envy both of yous doing same course and I would not let anybody stand in your way to do your course you are doing.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
Wearing a name badge isn't end of the world as it makes sense to allow people to know who is who 🙂😂....

There are too many rude people at university and they think because you are identical twins yous are capable of cheating with one another work but yous still have to think about what you are writing etc and actually write things up ( do both of yous write identical as well as that is the only way to say yous aren't cheating ). Perhaps it's jealousy with the other students ☺️.

The university lecturers will probably see the difference hand writing and how yous both do things done dispite being twins..

I am not sure how many identical twins has been to university together doing same course as I would have thought most identical twins would do separate degrees course, I do envy both of yous doing same course and I would not let anybody stand in your way to do your course you are doing.

Although being the only children to wear a name badge in a school environment is classed as being labelled, and I’m sure if it was your children. You wouldn’t be too impressed? People should make the effort to find a difference between the two twins, and they are owed that with their individuality.
Although being the only children to wear a name badge in a school environment is classed as being labelled, and I’m sure if it was your children. You wouldn’t be too impressed? People should make the effort to find a difference between the two twins, and they are owed that with their individuality.

All biological siblings come from the same womb unless their mother has a rare anatomical anomaly.
I don't think people who are relative strangers owe each other a lot. Like if your friendship group treated you and your twin as being one and the same, I can understand why that would be issue, but this doesn't appear to be what you are complaining about.

If you feel like your individuality is being smothered going to the same university for the same degree course at the same time as mature students is a really odd choice.

Twins are relatively rare. If you feel that people are being insensitive to you, the onus is on you to assert how you want to be treated.

I have to wear a name badge for the whole three years of my degree course as was a requirement both in the university building and also whenever I was out on placements. Still do today wear a name badge although qualified.

There was one half of twin's in my course with the other one doing a different course at the same university but yet didn't think it was a problem.

It wouldn't bother me if it was my children having to do this as it would certainly stop any questions being asked about cheating.
Obviously they should be allowed to do this without wearing one as to let others make effects to determine between the two of yous.
Reply 6

I've got a twin sister, and people do sometimes say things about how we could copy each other- I wouldn't worry about it because the person marking will be able to tell your handwriting apart and your writing styles will be very different.

Quick Reply

Latest