The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get a 2.1/1.1?

Just wondering would be hard for me to get a 2.1 or a first in my first year of uni?

I study psychology btw
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's very difficult to get a 1.1 since there is no such thing. Good luck with university.
Reply 2
Loooool really😭😭I mean a first
Original post by EierVonSatan
It's very difficult to get a 1.1 since there is no such thing. Good luck with university.

:lol:
You mean a 2:1 or a 1st I presume? Depending on your course and uni of course, many uni's grades from first year don't actually count towards anything. Mine didn't in 1st year and I'm doing teacher training. However, that doesn't stop you from trying. A lot of people I know still tried hard first year, as it helps to establish how much work goes into different grades etc. Others just aimed to pass. See if your course/modules have marking rubrics. They will outline what you must do to reach each point of grading, i.e. 3rd, 2:2, 2:1 and 1st (and fail, of course, but we all hope not to be there). General tips though: do a lot of wide research, with different types of resources. Research people who haven't been mentioned in lectures at all- this gets easy marks. Read up/practice/be aware of what academic writing is and how to do it properly. I still haven't got this sorted, but the sooner you can, the easier it will be in the future! Also look at targets/objectives of the assignments. You should hit all of these if possible within your assignment. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by wonderland.16
You mean a 2:1 or a 1st I presume? Depending on your course and uni of course, many uni's grades from first year don't actually count towards anything. Mine didn't in 1st year and I'm doing teacher training. However, that doesn't stop you from trying. A lot of people I know still tried hard first year, as it helps to establish how much work goes into different grades etc. Others just aimed to pass. See if your course/modules have marking rubrics. They will outline what you must do to reach each point of grading, i.e. 3rd, 2:2, 2:1 and 1st (and fail, of course, but we all hope not to be there). General tips though: do a lot of wide research, with different types of resources. Research people who haven't been mentioned in lectures at all- this gets easy marks. Read up/practice/be aware of what academic writing is and how to do it properly. I still haven't got this sorted, but the sooner you can, the easier it will be in the future! Also look at targets/objectives of the assignments. You should hit all of these if possible within your assignment. Good luck!

Yh my uni doesn’t really count first year😭but at first I really just wanted a pass but now I’m thinking to TRY and get something I cant imagine I’ll ever get loool i know I’ll never get a 2.1 or a first but I’ll obviously have to try and you should too x. But I recon if I ever get like a 2.1 or even just a pass, I’ll have to motivate myself to work harder from the beginning. Im just scared about the exams ahh😭
Original post by nabilahhh
Yh my uni doesn’t really count first year😭but at first I really just wanted a pass but now I’m thinking to TRY and get something I cant imagine I’ll ever get loool i know I’ll never get a 2.1 or a first but I’ll obviously have to try and you should too x. But I recon if I ever get like a 2.1 or even just a pass, I’ll have to motivate myself to work harder from the beginning. Im just scared about the exams ahh😭

Mine doesn't at all. Very few do tbh. Definitely try though. I started the year aiming for a 2:1 last year, and that's what my average was by the end. This year went a little different due to family ill health and death etc, but I still managed 2% off a 1st which was good (got that result today haha). Just make sure you do a lot of reading, and regularly. Not necessarily whole books etc, just make sure you read little and often. It will sink in. Thankfully I only had 1 exam last year and none this year. Whilst I obviously can't really speak for the exams, if you do the reading for the assignments, it will translate into useful info for exams. Trust me. That's what I did. They don't expect quoting in exams, just accurate references to people (e.g. Bruner (2013)). SO accurate name spelling and date. I'm sure you will do well. Getting ahead benefits but don't worry if you can't. And try to be motivated- use music and environments to your benefit. I go to a local cafe to do work, the library at uni etc if I find I need a change of scene. Let me know if I can help any further! I was in the same boat last year so totally get it!
Reply 7
Original post by wonderland.16
Mine doesn't at all. Very few do tbh. Definitely try though. I started the year aiming for a 2:1 last year, and that's what my average was by the end. This year went a little different due to family ill health and death etc, but I still managed 2% off a 1st which was good (got that result today haha). Just make sure you do a lot of reading, and regularly. Not necessarily whole books etc, just make sure you read little and often. It will sink in. Thankfully I only had 1 exam last year and none this year. Whilst I obviously can't really speak for the exams, if you do the reading for the assignments, it will translate into useful info for exams. Trust me. That's what I did. They don't expect quoting in exams, just accurate references to people (e.g. Bruner (2013)). SO accurate name spelling and date. I'm sure you will do well. Getting ahead benefits but don't worry if you can't. And try to be motivated- use music and environments to your benefit. I go to a local cafe to do work, the library at uni etc if I find I need a change of scene. Let me know if I can help any further! I was in the same boat last year so totally get it!

OMG you helped me alottt, ill definitely come for more help. You seem very smart tho compared to me. I feel like I do try but I’m just not used to everything. Everyone just seems to be knowing what they’re doing. But I’ll definitely start reading from the list they gave us. What course did you do btw?
It is extremely easy to get a 2:1. You basically show up, do the readings and the assignments and you'll get one. You don't even have to revise in my experience. I studied Econ and politics not psych though. Econ is basically applied math and politics have a lot of modules which are examined by assignments so you could get by even without revision.

A 1st is tougher, you've to be very organised and studious. You've to know the material really well and not leave any gaps in your knowledge. If you feel like you've mastered the material taught during the semester, you will get a 1st imo. So, have a plan, go to all your lectures/seminars, bug your tutors if you don't understand something and read more than the minimum requirement. Uni in general is very self-directed, regardless of your grades.

I got a 2:1 btw because I am an idiot who ignored his MH problems until it was too late. I got a first in my last year because it was the only year where I bothered to deal with my mental health and seek effective treatment. Learn from other people's mistakes, don't ignore your health.

Best of luck.

P.S. I studied at the University of Leeds.
Reply 9
Original post by Kovalensky
It is extremely easy to get a 2:1. You basically show up, do the readings and the assignments and you'll get one. You don't even have to revise in my experience. I studied Econ and politics not psych though. Econ is basically applied math and politics have a lot of modules which are examined by assignments so you could get by even without revision.

A 1st is tougher, you've to be very organised and studious. You've to know the material really well and not leave any gaps in your knowledge. If you feel like you've mastered the material taught during the semester, you will get a 1st imo. So, have a plan, go to all your lectures/seminars, bug your tutors if you don't understand something and read more than the minimum requirement. Uni in general is very self-directed, regardless of your grades.

I got a 2:1 btw because I am an idiot who ignored his MH problems until it was too late. I got a first in my last year because it was the only year where I bothered to deal with my mental health and seek effective treatment. Learn from other people's mistakes, don't ignore your health.

Best of luck.

For assignments I don’t find them hard but they are a bit challenging but also very interesting. I feel like I’m getting the hang of it 😅. But for revising and memorising stuff I’m still not used to that. We’ve got a module called research methods and it does involve maths meaning I need to do lots of past papers and also some memorising too . I’m having problems with mental health aswell but I don’t know if it’ll acc be a good idea to talk to the uni about it because I doubt they’ll help but I’ll give it a try. How was your meeting with the MH team?
I hope you’re doing okay x
(edited 5 years ago)
For assignments I don’t find them hard but they are a bit challenging but also very interesting. I feel like I’m getting the hang of it 😅. But for revising and memorising stuff I’m still not used to that. We’ve got a module called research methods and it does involve maths meaning I need to do lots of practical work. I’m having a problem with mental health problems aswell so I don’t know if it’ll acc be a good idea to talk to the uni about it because I doubt they’ll help but I’ll give it a try. How was your meeting with the MH team?
I hope you’re doing okay x

The psychologist was great. I went to her only during my final year after I had my diagnosis. I had used, for a few sessions, the counselling service of the uni during my first year which is different from the psych and not helpful to me. But that is peculiar to myself, not to say the service will be unhelpful to others.

You need to chase people and take an active interest in yourself. People in general are indeed not very helpful because there are thousands of students needing help and they can only help you so much (not enough time to really know you personally). You need to do most of the work yourself but do talk to the MH team at your uni. Nothing bad can come out of it. But, remember, you need perseverance. Don't put off things and don't be discouraged.
Reply 11
The psychologist was great. I went to her only during my final year after I had my diagnosis. I had used, for a few sessions, the counselling service of the uni during my first year which is different from the psych and not helpful to me. But that is peculiar to myself, not to say the service will be unhelpful to others.

You need to chase people and take an active interest in yourself. People in general are indeed not very helpful because there are thousands of students needing help and they can only help you so much (not enough time to really know you personally). You need to do most of the work yourself but do talk to the MH team at your uni. Nothing bad can come out of it. But, remember, you need perseverance. Don't put off things and don't be discouraged.

Yes that’s true, I figured that so many will need there help so they’ll probably give me a couple of “tips” to get through uni life I think. But I found my tutor to be very helpful but veryyy awkward aswell😭😭

I just finished my first semester and I really need to have a “to do list” if that’ll help. Did you do that too?
Yes that’s true, I figured that so many will need there help so they’ll probably give me a couple of “tips” to get through uni life I think. But I found my tutor to be very helpful but veryyy awkward aswell😭😭

I just finished my first semester and I really need to have a “to do list” if that’ll help. Did you do that too?

The psychologist in my case was helping me to understand why I am the way I am and why some of my thoughts were irrational, how to change them and therefore, ultimately, my behaviour. I suffer from generalised anxiety and periodic panic attacks.

I'm a list fanatic so I made and still make lists about everything.
Reply 13
The psychologist in my case was helping me to understand why I am the way I am and why some of my thoughts were irrational, how to change them and therefore, ultimately, my behaviour. I suffer from generalised anxiety and periodic panic attacks.

I'm a list fanatic so I made and still make lists about everything.

I’ll hopefully be ur next psychologist haha. I find writing helps a lot if you’re having a crowded mind
OMG you helped me alottt, ill definitely come for more help. You seem very smart tho compared to me. I feel like I do try but I’m just not used to everything. Everyone just seems to be knowing what they’re doing. But I’ll definitely start reading from the list they gave us. What course did you do btw?

Sorry about there only being one 'enter' or new line being used-- there is a glitch it seems and my laptop still won't let me included them properly!
Haha! Trust me, I'm still winging it! As are most people. Everyone SEEMS like they know what's going on, but often they are none the wiser either. I was a designated course rep last year, so I had to go to meetings etc. As a result people presume, even now when I'm no longer a rep, that I know exactly what's going on all the time-- when I have the same access to the same resources, and am honestly winging it like everyone else! Key, in my opinion, is self belief. Believe you can do it, put the effort and the time in, and you will get there. What I find helps a lot is going to study/work somewhere publicly, as I feel like people are watching me and therefore have to show that I am working...if that makes sense? (I should add, I know that they aren't watching me...I'm very aware of my surroundings and of other people's opinions which helps. Definitely try to read at least the main books/journals etc on the list-- and then do your own research. YOU CANNOT GET A HIGH GRADE WITHOUT IT (according to my lecturers-- the paper I got back yesterday was the most reading I had done for any assignment and it was reflected in my grade.) I'm now in my 2nd year of Primary Ed teacher training...so mine is like a degree and a PGCE in one, within 3 years. I know my course can be very different to that of others, but we still have to do all the assignments etc like everyone else. Don't worry about feeling like you are not used to everything yet-- you have only been there for 2 months ish. It takes time. I think I finally felt like I was comfortable on my course in the 2nd semester. By that point I knew what to do and who to talk to regarding assignments etc. This year I feel more relaxed and a lot more comfortable as my living arrangements suit me much better. Also definitely talk to someone about your mental health. I have anxiety and social difficulties and my ex-course director is aware so checks up on me. I've also had family challenges (2 family members having strokes, another passed away, another hospitalised again etc.) so lecturers checking up on me is invaluable. It makes a world of difference to me knowing that if I needed to, I could talk to them. Make sure you have that. Maybe not necessarily lecturers, as I'm in a small uni we are lucky with out contact time- and due to the course too- but even pastoral staff etc. Anywho-- best of luck, send any messages my way, always happy to help where I can :smile:
It depends on how hard you study but sadly this is not the only deciding factor in how easy it will be for you to get a first in your first year. There are other factors at play here, some you can help others you can't. These include how well you can keep away from trouble and how you handle trouble when it comes knocking at your door. They also include things like the capacities (or lack thereof) of the persons marking your assessments. In many universities factors that influence how easy you have it sadly also include the political ideologies you subscribe to, the religion you belong to, the gender you were born into and even the colour of your skin.
(edited 5 years ago)
old people are always whingeing about how you in the olden days you needed to be some kind of genius to get a first ? now that students are well cleva it is bare common.
Depends on the uni. Oxbridge, lse, ucl and imperial tend to have much tougher exams but then again the students are usually more capable. At non-RG unis it’s pretty easy to get a first.
Just out of curiosity have you had any assessments thus far and how have they gone OP?

I think a 1st (nothing wrong with a 2:1 though!) is definitely achievable if you set your mind to it and work consistently through the year; try to have at least a rough timetable during the week and put in a few hours of work a day on average on weekdays. What works for me is going to the library during the day (going to lectures and stuff like sport activities when I have those lol, but spending the rest of the day in the library working), and then when you go home in the late afternoon/evening you can chillax. Depending on how much work you have you can put in a few hours on Saturday for instance also (but then it's nice to have the rest of the weekend off :smile:).

Furthermore, first year doesn't count so don't stress about it, though it's good to try to do well which'll cultivate good habits and make life easier later on where it counts (while I still scraped a first in first year - like literally, 70% on the mark haha - I wish I had cultivated better study habits which would've made life easier this year, where stuff's ramped up and I can't get away with stuff like I could last year; also my mental health's unfortunately gotten worse so I need to take care of that; no more leaving assignments last minute, too much unpredictable stress!).

Also keeping to-do lists of what needs to be done in priority order, using a schedule/planner, and having a calendar etc. can all really help you manage your time and keep on top of things. There are apps you can use that automatically arrange things in deadline order, and so forth.

In terms of study techniques, I don't do psych but I think reading the relevant materials/readings, at least as much as you have time for, is probably very beneficial... and if you get set any courseworks, I know you might not want to hear this but start early! One of our pastoral tutors recommends reading the spec the day it's set, which if you can is good as then you already have an idea of what the work entails. Then I find the best way to go about it (which I've only more recently started to do, I used to be a rush-it-last-minute kind of person, do not advise that approach lol, too risky and stressful!) is to do a little bit of work every (week)day (or at least almost every day), so you don't overwhelm/overwork yourself and maintain good productivity when you are working on it. Say you spend 2 hours on it a day for 2 weeks (weekdays), that's 20 hours of work! Which isn't much per day, but a lot in total.

Also, if you have multiple concurrent courseworks, of course prioritise what's due soonest but still I advise spreading out the work over all of them, so that you're making progress in all of them (rather than just doing one at a time) and not putting all your eggs in one basket. I say this because the earliest marks tend to be easier to get (and then the more marks you've gotten, the harder it is to get more marks if you get me lol). Also if you're confident you're at 70% in a coursework, don't come back to it til you're at 70% in the others (or at all :P). Doing this just relieves the pressure a lot and gives you leeway if you have any issues or your mental health gets bad and you need to take some mental health days etc. Try not to compare yourself to other people (which I know can be hard when you have MH issues lol), so what if they're ahead of you or have already done the coursework you've barely looked at. So long as you do a good enough job on time, that's all that matters! :smile: Same for exams and everything else with uni really; I stress, don't compare yourself to others (in a negative way anyway, if you're taking inspiration that's alright :tongue:), just focus on your own progress and activities and happiness. ^_^

When it comes to studying for exams, I also recommend doing a little bit every day and spreading out the studying across your exams/modules. You can cram a bit closer to the exam, but don't overwork or stress yourself (and it becomes inefficient if you do too many hours in a day anyway, you can only retain so much info in a day!). Again, I don't do psych so don't know what your exams are like, but I suppose read the relevant materials, highlight things and maybe make flashcards (are they useful? :P), go over important info and summaries etc. and make sure you understand it and remember important facts, and very importantly do past papers if they're available to you (and if there are mark schemes, carefully look at those after! A lot of the time uni exams are similar to those in previous years, so if you've done the past papers carefully you'll be in good stead).

And in terms of the mental health issues (ah good mental health, how I miss thee :u:), don't be afraid to reach out and get help for it. Particularly if you feel it getting worse or have a bad flare up or whatever; talk to your tutor and a welfare tutor if you have one, go to your uni's mental health service or equivalent etc.; I know it can be really difficult to don't be afraid to talk to people and get help :smile:. This month and particularly the past couple of weeks my depression and anxiety reared its head with a vengeance, but I eventually went to my uni's mental health service and welfare tutor about it (and then my GP upon their recommendation) which really helped, and the tutor also helped me apply for a deadline extension for an assignment I haven't been able to do (need to try see about that this week but hopefully I get the extension! If I don't not the end of the world, just annoying lol).

Mental health requires upkeep and honesty, but the uni should have resources like counselling and welfare tutors etc. to help you if you're having a rough time. I think just trying to working consistently and keeping a good routine and schedule, while monitoring your mental health, is best; that way if **** does hit the fan, at least you're on top of work up to that point so the worst-case scenario isn't too bad, and you can afford to tackle the mental health (without having to worry to much about work). Don't leave things last minute if you can avoid it, which can be a recipe for disaster if you're having mental health issues! The earlier you can tackle something the better :smile: But at the same time don't overwork and take care of yourself, that's very important. Your health and wellbeing should come first regardless, even if it's the difference between a 2:1 and a 1st, no point sacrificing yourself over grades.

Finally, try to have fun at uni!! As long as you're on track academically, try to get involved in other things and have a good time! Uni's what you make of it and can be a great experience, and there are tons of things going on all the time, you're really never short of things to do. :biggrin: Societies and clubs, nights out, all that fun stuff, have some fun! ^_^ You're paying £9k a year after all so might as well reap some of the other benefits. :tongue:

Also can confirm I'm a course rep and none of us know what we're doing. No one knows what they're doing. Wing it, do your best and have fun! :h:

Last thing: I know it sounds mundane, but try your best to get a good night's sleep (after a wild night out, lie in if you can, else nap when you get the chance and maybe go to bed a bit early the following night if you're right), eat well, do some exercise and spend some time socialising/with friends. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking "but I have work to do!!" and neglect these other things, but you will be more productive and healthier and happier if you try to maintain healthy habits, and it's a win-win situation. Now and again it's alright to lose a bit of sleep or skip a meal etc. (just be very careful of this particularly with suffering from MH issues) if you really have **** to urgently do, but in general you shouldn't sacrifice these things for work, it isn't efficient or worthwhile, take care of yourself. :smile: As I said, you'll be more productive anyway with good habits, but also at the end of the day, you can only do so much, don't overwork yourself. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
getting a 2:1 was piss easy almost a mockery. all u needed to do was put in a good effort during coursework. then when its exam time need 2 weeks to go from the start and basically memorise it. for the written questions it was just a question about the lecture slides. so even my final year modules anyone with a good memory could have sat the exam. howeer with the more mathmatical ones it took abit more effort. interestingly getting a first was much harder almost out of the reach for most ppl. on graduation book around 15% got a first on my course. it wa slike getting more than 80 was unheard of. imo 10% is a massive diffrence per grade and it sucks that the 60 guy (who prob got 2:2s and 2:1s) gets the same certificate as the 68 guy who got 2:1s and firsts. so i think there should be more classifications. perhaps a 1:2 or 3:1 3:2 etc

if u look at the stats contact hours gone down, class sizes up, less time per student teaching so its fair to say standard has dropped. but somehow the amount of ppl getting a 2:1/first has rocketed how could that possibly be. well the fees have gone up and if they're handing out 3rds 2:2s willy nilly no one would go and if 70% get a 2:1 means 70% are unlikely to complain. and grades dont matter in future for humanities subjects ; pysh, poli sci etc. but my concern is giving 2:1s out willy nilly to stem and medicine so ppl are getting them who dont deserve it and theyre are doing things like medical work, engineering stuff and not really up for the job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending