The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Birmingham City University VS Liverpool Hope University

Hey everyone, so I have just applied to 5 unis to study English Language (with Foundation Year) and my top 2 choices are Birmingham City and Liverpool Hope so I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on either or both of the unis that could help me decide which to go to.

I have received an unconditional offer from Birmingham City but am still waiting for a response from Liverpool Hope (meaning this thread could be rendered entirely useless but hey ho). I'm currently studying Korean in my spare time so if anyone has any idea on the Korean culture/language presence in either of the cities then let me know!

Specifically, I'm looking for insight into:
- Course
- City/Uni life
- Korean Language/Culture

Thank you, dearly! :smile:
Original post by Besseu13
Hey everyone, so I have just applied to 5 unis to study English Language (with Foundation Year) and my top 2 choices are Birmingham City and Liverpool Hope so I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on either or both of the unis that could help me decide which to go to.

I have received an unconditional offer from Birmingham City but am still waiting for a response from Liverpool Hope (meaning this thread could be rendered entirely useless but hey ho). I'm currently studying Korean in my spare time so if anyone has any idea on the Korean culture/language presence in either of the cities then let me know!

Specifically, I'm looking for insight into:
- Course
- City/Uni life
- Korean Language/Culture

Thank you, dearly! :smile:

Hi Besseu13,

Congrats on your unconditional offer to study English Language with a Foundation Year with us!

The course has been designed to develop your knowledge about key authors and periods, as well as literature from around the globe. Your foundation year will combine the study of literature, drama, language and creative writing and over the duration of the course you’ll have the opportunity to go on work placements and a variety of trips to support your learning.

Our School of English has an amazing community atmosphere and before classes start you’ll have the opportunity to meet your classmates during Welcome Week. Our tutor’s doors are always open if you need a chat and there’s also a range of student clubs for you to get involved with, such as Write Club and the English Studies Society.

Speaking of societies, we also have a Korean Entertainment Society, which is open to anyone with an interest in Korea. Members listen to Korean music, watch films, do quizzes and have multiple socials throughout the year, usually including karaoke and a trip to a Korean Restaurant located in Chinatown.

Birmingham itself is also a great place to live and study, there’s something for everyone! Take a look at our student life in Birmingham page to see the types of things you could be getting up to.

If you haven't been here before, I'd recommend coming to one of our Applicant Taster Days next year. They're a great way to find out more about the course, get involved with some taster classes and meet staff and students. You'll also get a copy of our Book Club novel!

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks,
Kiran
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi Besseu13,

Congrats on your unconditional offer to study English Language with a Foundation Year with us!

The course has been designed to develop your knowledge about key authors and periods, as well as literature from around the globe. Your foundation year will combine the study of literature, drama, language and creative writing and over the duration of the course you’ll have the opportunity to go on work placements and a variety of trips to support your learning.

Our School of English has an amazing community atmosphere and before classes start you’ll have the opportunity to meet your classmates during Welcome Week. Our tutor’s doors are always open if you need a chat and there’s also a range of student clubs for you to get involved with, such as Write Club and the English Studies Society.

Speaking of societies, we also have a Korean Entertainment Society, which is open to anyone with an interest in Korea. Members listen to Korean music, watch films, do quizzes and have multiple socials throughout the year, usually including karaoke and a trip to a Korean Restaurant located in Chinatown.

Birmingham itself is also a great place to live and study, there’s something for everyone! Take a look at our student life in Birmingham page to see the types of things you could be getting up to.

If you haven't been here before, I'd recommend coming to one of our Applicant Taster Days next year. They're a great way to find out more about the course, get involved with some taster classes and meet staff and students. You'll also get a copy of our Book Club novel!

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks,
Kiran

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply!

I have signed up to the applicant open day on March 9th and am honestly so excited to look around the campus, accommodation and get a feel for the course!

I didn't know there was a Korean Entertainment Society, that's just the kind of thing I was looking for. I don't suppose you'd know whether they practice the language in that group as well?

Thank you, once again! :h:
I'm currently studying at Liverpool Hope University and I would not recommend it unless you're wanting to study teaching or performing arts. There is no language department at Hope and there is no option to study a language alongside your course like there is at most other universities. Hope has a beautiful campus, is very religious and very small. I'm not studying English, so I can't comment on that. Students at Hope are very disenfranchised with most things - they aren't likely to turn up to events because it's not "cool" to do that. That being said, the city of Liverpool is absolutely wonderful, there is so much to see and do and it's gorgeous. The people in Liverpool are generally very friendly and just lovely people. I visit Birmingham quite a bit and I don't like the city as much, it's quite claustrophobic in a way (especially during the Christmas markets) but similarly to Liverpool, there is always something going on.

EDIT: In terms of societies, there aren't too many societies at Hope. The ones that do run aren't particularly fun and/or don't meet regularly. I have friends that are trying to change this but it'll be a slow process.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jinxedthings
I'm currently studying at Liverpool Hope University and I would not recommend it unless you're wanting to study teaching or performing arts. There is no language department at Hope and there is no option to study a language alongside your course like there is at most other universities. Hope has a beautiful campus, is very religious and very small. I'm not studying English, so I can't comment on that. Students at Hope are very disenfranchised with most things - they aren't likely to turn up to events because it's not "cool" to do that. That being said, the city of Liverpool is absolutely wonderful, there is so much to see and do and it's gorgeous. The people in Liverpool are generally very friendly and just lovely people. I visit Birmingham quite a bit and I don't like the city as much, it's quite claustrophobic in a way (especially during the Christmas markets) but similarly to Liverpool, there is always something going on.

EDIT: In terms of societies, there aren't too many societies at Hope. The ones that do run aren't particularly fun and/or don't meet regularly. I have friends that are trying to change this but it'll be a slow process.

Thank you so much for replying!

You wouldn't recommend? Tbh, I'm hearing that a lot about Liverpool Hope Uni. I've visited Liverpool quite a few times and I really love it there, LHU is outside of the city centre though, isn't it?

I haven't been to Birmingham at all yet but I've lived near the city centre of Manchester almost all my life so busy and claustrophobic is fairly normal for me. I'm thinking it's best to go with BCU and take a possible downgrade in city life in exchange for better teaching, which your opinion and others would suggest BCU will have.

I really want a good uni life as well as good teaching though so this is why I'm a little conflicted!

Thank you again for your reply! :smile:
Thank you so much for replying!

You wouldn't recommend? Tbh, I'm hearing that a lot about Liverpool Hope Uni. I've visited Liverpool quite a few times and I really love it there, LHU is outside of the city centre though, isn't it?

I haven't been to Birmingham at all yet but I've lived near the city centre of Manchester almost all my life so busy and claustrophobic is fairly normal for me. I'm thinking it's best to go with BCU and take a possible downgrade in city life in exchange for better teaching, which your opinion and others would suggest BCU will have.

I really want a good uni life as well as good teaching though so this is why I'm a little conflicted!

Thank you again for your reply! :smile:

No problem! I hope I can help.

Yeah, the thing is that it’s really good but only for a few particular courses. The classes are extremely small because it’s such a small university and I find that that isn’t too great because it’s much easier to make friends in a bigger environment when there are more people to be interested in a larger range of things. LHU has three campuses, Hope Park, Aigburth and Creative. The main campus, Hope Park, is where most courses are and where a majority of events are held, it’s about four miles from the city centre and over an hour’s walk. The free university shuttle bus doesn’t run on weekends. I live on the Creative Campus (didn’t choose to, it was assigned to me) which is a ten minute walk from the city centre, but as my course is based at Hope Park I have to take the bus which is a 45 minute journey each way. So if I have a 9am class, I have to get the bus at 7.55am which isn’t too great, especially living in halls where it’s difficult to get much sleep. Aigburth is in between the two teaching campuses and is just for living on.

Birmingham is really quite an interesting city, even if it isn’t as good as Liverpool :wink: - but I do agree, I would recommend going to BCU over LHU as you’d have so many more options. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think BCU students are allowed to get involved with some of the UoB societies?

Hope is definitely the right option for some people, but I’m just about to finish my first term and have already started the transfer process. It feels so much more like a school than a university (especially with some of the bullying that happens in halls) so it’s difficult to get the full university experience here.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jinxedthings
No problem! I hope I can help.

Yeah, the thing is that it’s really good but only for a few particular courses. The classes are extremely small because it’s such a small university and I find that that isn’t too great because it’s much easier to make friends in a bigger environment when there are more people to be interested in a larger range of things. LHU has three campuses, Hope Park, Aigburth and Creative. The main campus, Hope Park, is where most courses are and where a majority of events are held, it’s about four miles from the city centre and over an hour’s walk. The free university shuttle bus doesn’t run on weekends. I live on the Creative Campus (didn’t choose to, it was assigned to me) which is a ten minute walk from the city centre, but as my course is based at Hope Park I have to take the bus which is a 45 minute journey each way. So if I have a 9am class, I have to get the bus at 7.55am which isn’t too great, especially living in halls where it’s difficult to get much sleep. Aigburth is in between the two teaching campuses and is just for living on.

Birmingham is really quite an interesting city, even if it isn’t as good as Liverpool :wink: - but I do agree, I would recommend going to BCU over LHU as you’d have so many more options. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think BCU students are allowed to get involved with some of the UoB societies

Ugh, that sounds so annoying, having to travel 45 mins for a class. I would love to have my accommodation in the city but then, as you said, there's a massive travel to get to classes/lecture. To be honest, I think I'll go with BCU. As much as I love Liverpool as a city, the fact that you're already switching (I've actually come across quite a few people doing that) just tells me that it's probably not the best uni. I'm also really not a big fan of quiet places and classes, busier the better for me, lmao.

I've spent 2 years out of education so I really do not want to mess this decision up! So thank you so much for replying to me, you've been really helpful :smile:
Ugh, that sounds so annoying, having to travel 45 mins for a class. I would love to have my accommodation in the city but then, as you said, there's a massive travel to get to classes/lecture. To be honest, I think I'll go with BCU. As much as I love Liverpool as a city, the fact that you're already switching (I've actually come across quite a few people doing that) just tells me that it's probably not the best uni. I'm also really not a big fan of quiet places and classes, busier the better for me, lmao.

I've spent 2 years out of education so I really do not want to mess this decision up! So thank you so much for replying to me, you've been really helpful :smile:

It is annoying! I understand - I spent an extra year in college and probably going to have to start from year one next year when I transfer, I’m glad I can be of help and if you ever need anything just give me a message :smile:
Hi Besseu13 :smile:

University is a very personal journey and many people can be on the exact same course, live in the exact same halls, but have completely different experiencies and journies.

In regards to accommodation, when students apply we aim to give them their first choice, but obviously depending on when they apply, for example, this is not always possible. This is why we allow students to give us a secondary choice, so that even if they do not get their first choice, their back up option is also thought out prior.

We do have a lot of clubs and societies here at Hope, if you are interested in the social aspect of university, it is an important thing to consider.
You can find a full list of our current clubs and societies here on our SU Website. You will see that they include a range of interests, however if there is not something suited to a student, they can form their own society with their friends and recieve funding towards this.

Although Hope's roots are in religious values, Hope certainly does not impose religion on any student and too welcomes all faiths and religions. I myself have no faith, despite this I still had some close friends who were member of the Christianity Society and of other beliefs. Respect for different opinions, beliefs and backgrounds is prominent at Hope, it runs through the staff and students.

All year round Hope offers many events both ran by students and our departments to encourage social and academic growth. For those living in accommodation during the first year we have Gala Dinner Nights, each month we produce a "Whats On?" guide to profile all of the social events happening on campus that month that students and staff can get involved in. We also have a bulletin that profiles wider university news, keeping everybody in the loop.

In terms of numbers we are a smaller university and this is purposely done. We are able to provide more one to one opportunities for students with their tutors, class sizes that are appropriate for discussion and a sense that tutors and students get to know each other's styles and ethos. This is reflected in the fact that we have been awarded TEF Gold you can find out more about what this means and why we were awarded it on our website.

As I said previously, university is a very personal journey. I for one have loved my time at Liverpool Hope, for many of the reasons mentioned above and more. It is important to take on board the opinion of others, but also research and experience these things for yourself.

I would say the best way to do this is visit universities on Open Days, chat to students and academics there, see the accomodation and learning spaces available. Not all universities are suited to everbody, the best decisions you make are informed and based on your own thoughts and feelings.

If you have any questions, feel free to speak to us here, or email us at [email protected]

Thanks!

Ste :hat:
I always think it’s important to trust personal experience over what is clearly an advertising strategy. Some universities like money so much that they don’t allow charity bake sales because then they’re in competition with the university run cafes. Make of that what you will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending