The Student Room Group

16+ Oyster Card Scam/Fraud???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tinkerbellwicked
same thing happened to my friend this morning. She got it one of them false Instagram 16 Oyster card pages. When she tapped, it bleeped red and it says “card stopped”. I’m not too sure what happens - heard a mixture of different things such as 1) you’ll get a criminal record, you’ll have to go jail 2) you have to pay a fine either 40-80 pounds or 1K 3) or apparently you don’t get a letter or nothing. I’m not too sure. If anyone’s card has stopped, what has happened? Have you rececived letter?

Most likely what will happen 2) your friend pays fine anything from £40-£1k 3) Nothing happens no letter, fine or criminal record because half the people do the same thing and TFL Can’t find everyone so the best they can do is block the Oyster card.
so did anyone get a fine or anything after it stopped working
Original post by Mrlaflame
so did anyone get a fine or anything after it stopped working

Still waiting for TFL whoever blocks the Oyster card for they decision. But I got very good theory why most people Oyster card is blocked or stopped working.
Do u think everyone is going to get a fine
Original post by Anonymous
Do u think everyone is going to get a fine

I am not entirely sure about that but at least wait up to 3 weeks and if nothing happens then u are free.
I am not entirely sure about that but at least wait up to 3 weeks and if nothing happens then u are free.

Yh thank u
But I heard from someone i know that someone they know got caught and got sent a fine of £50 within three days
Also will it effect jobs and continuing to study in university
One of my friends is a law student and she got caught and now she has a criminal record and can't practise as a solicitor/barrister
One of my friends is a law student and she got caught and now she has a criminal record and can't practise as a solicitor/barrister

Did she get caught by inspectors or did her card get disabled ????
Yh thank u
But I heard from someone i know that someone they know got caught and got sent a fine of £50 within three days
Also will it effect jobs and continuing to study in university

How did this person get caught was through ticket inspector (with and or the transport police) or card was disabled. Fine in other words is slapped on the wrist u pay that amount within 30 days and move on it does not get you criminal record however if you don’t pay the fine it can lead to court and prosecution.
How did this person get caught was through ticket inspector (with and or the transport police) or card was disabled. Fine in other words is slapped on the wrist u pay that amount within 30 days and move on it does not get you criminal record however if you don’t pay the fine it can lead to court and prosecution.

Basically, she got caught by a ticket inspector as he was asking her questions and she was stuttering, making it obvious that she was faking her age.
So are u saying a fine is a fine but if u dont pay the fine it can lead to a criminal record.
Basically, she got caught by a ticket inspector as he was asking her questions and she was stuttering, making it obvious that she was faking her age.
So are u saying a fine is a fine but if u dont pay the fine it can lead to a criminal record.

Sorry about that but if ticket inspection is asking loads of questions then just play it cool.

Yes exactly my point.
- Most of the people that I know who had been caught by a ticket inspector for using a fake 16+ Oyster and they were all fined £1000 on the spot. You either pay the fine within 28 days or you go to prison for 6 months + Criminal record (FRAUDULENT).

- For those who had not been caught by an ticket inspector, but has the card stopped working as you tap it, ( LIKE MY SELF, WHICH MINE STOPPED WORKING 3 DAYS AGO) you’ll either get a letter from TFL Explaining why they stopped it and possibly a fine up to £1000 within 14 days.

(I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY FRIEND WORKS FOR TFL)

Any questions let me know?
- Most of the people that I know who had been caught by a ticket inspector for using a fake 16+ Oyster and they were all fined £1000 on the spot. You either pay the fine within 28 days or you go to prison for 6 months + Criminal record (FRAUDULENT).

- For those who had not been caught by an ticket inspector, but has the card stopped working as you tap it, ( LIKE MY SELF, WHICH MINE STOPPED WORKING 3 DAYS AGO) you’ll either get a letter from TFL Explaining why they stopped it and possibly a fine up to £1000 within 14 days.

(I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY FRIEND WORKS FOR TFL)

Any questions let me know?

Hi I am in the exact same situation as you and I am absolutely ******** myself. My oyster has stopped working but I was never stopped by an inspector. I also have an 18+ oyster with the same picture however the 16+ does not have my middle name. My friend has just received a letter from TFL asking to provide proof of age. The letter also says they can either accept the offence and explain why they should not be prosecuted or they can deny the offence and provide evidence.

I just know I will receive the letter sooner or later since we both got our oysters from the same guy. What do you think I should do if (or when) I receive this letter? I really can't afford to pay a £1k fine (student loan will be non existent) but if it means I won't get prosecuted then i dont mind.
I cut up my card and threw it away lol. £60 down the drain and I only used it a handful amount of times:frown:(( But it's better than getting a 1k fine so.... Lesson learned I guess? XDD Mine stopped working 10 days ago and I've gotten nothing from TFL yet. I'm hoping that I was let off lol. Or maybe the card got cancelled automatically by the system and since I just stopped using it TFL didn't look into it?? I was so stupid lmao Why did I do this new one with my actual name like the system isn't gonna recognise that there's now another card under the same name://// I also hope I don't jinx myself with this post and get a fine soon eek
Hi I am in the exact same situation as you and I am absolutely ******** myself. My oyster has stopped working but I was never stopped by an inspector. I also have an 18+ oyster with the same picture however the 16+ does not have my middle name. My friend has just received a letter from TFL asking to provide proof of age. The letter also says they can either accept the offence and explain why they should not be prosecuted or they can deny the offence and provide evidence.

I just know I will receive the letter sooner or later since we both got our oysters from the same guy. What do you think I should do if (or when) I receive this letter? I really can't afford to pay a £1k fine (student loan will be non existent) but if it means I won't get prosecuted then i dont mind.

I got dat same letter aswell today and another person Ik did aswell
I got that letter too
Someone upload proof of this letter
Hi, what happened next? Did you receive a letter?
Hi to the people whose cards stopped working, did you receive a letter within two weeks? If so, saying what?
Hi did you receive a letter in the end?

(Original post by Anonymous)I cut up my card and threw it away lol. £60 down the drain and I only used it a handful amount of times:frown:(( But it's better than getting a 1k fine so.... Lesson learned I guess? XDD Mine stopped working 10 days ago and I've gotten nothing from TFL yet. I'm hoping that I was let off lol. Or maybe the card got cancelled automatically by the system and since I just stopped using it TFL didn't look into it?? I was so stupid lmao Why did I do this new one with my actual name like the system isn't gonna recognise that there's now another card under the same name://// I also hope I don't jinx myself with this post and get a fine soon eek

Hi did you receive a letter in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending