The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Jobs to help fund university

I am considering warwick as a potential university, however I want to know how easy/hard it is to find a part-time job local to the area. Without an ongoing part time job, maintenance loans/student loads and living costs will add up significantly.
Original post by AnxiousStudent_1
I am considering warwick as a potential university, however I want to know how easy/hard it is to find a part-time job local to the area. Without an ongoing part time job, maintenance loans/student loads and living costs will add up significantly.

I'm at Warwick and I have a part time job working in a restaurant that's about a half hour walk or 10 minute bus from the uni. There are lots of job opportunities on campus though e.g. in the pubs/cafes etc. or as a student ambassador for your degree or part of the Warwick welcome service :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by eleanor27
I'm at Warwick and I have a part time job working in a restaurant that's about a half hour walk or 10 minute bus from the uni. There are lots of job opportunities on campus though e.g. in the pubs/cafes etc. or as a student ambassador for your degree or part of the Warwick welcome service :smile:

Thanks for the reply, how is the acommodation/social life like at warwick? (Bearing in mind I don't drink or club :redface:) And is the acommodation mixed genders or segregated?
Thanks for the reply, how is the acommodation/social life like at warwick? (Bearing in mind I don't drink or club :redface:) And is the acommodation mixed genders or segregated?

Hey, I'm a Warwick first year, I've recently started a job as a student ambassador which is an on campus job helping with open days and widening participation.
You can also get jobs with the SU at the bars, pub or the club.
Cannon Park is also a 5-10 minute walk away with Tesco, Wilko, Boots and others if you'd prefer a retail job.

Accommodation, personally I'm in Arthur Vick, it's very nice having an en suite and kitchens and Warwick Accomodation look after you if things break (which hopefully they won't!) I have friends in a variety of accommodations on campus and even Whitefields I would describe as liveable.
Most accommodation is mixed gender, but single gender areas are available

Social life, there are loads of societies on campus so there is always something to do, not drinking is no problem and there will still be lots to do, most societies will also let you circle (drinking games) with non alcoholic drinks so never feel like you have to drink. You don't have to club if you don't want to.

Any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by JaguarLover101
Hey, I'm a Warwick first year, I've recently started a job as a student ambassador which is an on campus job helping with open days and widening participation.
You can also get jobs with the SU at the bars, pub or the club.
Cannon Park is also a 5-10 minute walk away with Tesco, Wilko, Boots and others if you'd prefer a retail job.

Accommodation, personally I'm in Arthur Vick, it's very nice having an en suite and kitchens and Warwick Accomodation look after you if things break (which hopefully they won't!) I have friends in a variety of accommodations on campus and even Whitefields I would describe as liveable.
Most accommodation is mixed gender, but single gender areas are available

Social life, there are loads of societies on campus so there is always something to do, not drinking is no problem and there will still be lots to do, most societies will also let you circle (drinking games) with non alcoholic drinks so never feel like you have to drink. You don't have to club if you don't want to.

Any other questions feel free to ask :smile:

I have quite a few, if you don't mind :biggrin:. What did you take for A-Levels? How did you do, and what are you studying? Is the university diverse? (This isn't make or break for me but it would be nice to know) Do the jobs that the uni offer pay a decent wage? (I'm asking because if I do need to move, last thing I want is to be graduating with an uncontrollable amount of debt)
I have quite a few, if you don't mind :biggrin:. What did you take for A-Levels? How did you do, and what are you studying? Is the university diverse? (This isn't make or break for me but it would be nice to know) Do the jobs that the uni offer pay a decent wage? (I'm asking because if I do need to move, last thing I want is to be graduating with an uncontrollable amount of debt)

No Problem

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Physics and achieved A*A*A*A and I'm now studying Computer Science.

The University is very diverse and there are a lot of different cultures.

Student ambassador pays above living wage, not sure how much the SU pays but I think it's around the living wage (don't quote me on that though). There's also the supermarkets etc (pretty sure Tesco pays living wage).

Without knowing your situation there is a lot of financial support available. After your student loan there is bursaries available https://warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/funding/fundingyourstudies/warwickusb/2019entry/ and hardship funds if you're struggling.
No Problem

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Physics and achieved A*A*A*A and I'm now studying Computer Science.

The University is very diverse and there are a lot of different cultures.

Student ambassador pays above living wage, not sure how much the SU pays but I think it's around the living wage (don't quote me on that though). There's also the supermarkets etc (pretty sure Tesco pays living wage).

Without knowing your situation there is a lot of financial support available. After your student loan there is bursaries available https://warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/funding/fundingyourstudies/warwickusb/2019entry/ and hardship funds if you're struggling.

Ah ok, so getting a part time job at a uni should not pose many problems then I assume. How did you manage to get A* in Maths, Further Maths and Computing? and the A in Physics? That is really impressive, would you consider yourself naturally smart to an extent? How did you go about preparring and revising these subjects, and when did you start revising for your final exams?
Ah ok, so getting a part time job at a uni should not pose many problems then I assume. How did you manage to get A* in Maths, Further Maths and Computing? and the A in Physics? That is really impressive, would you consider yourself naturally smart to an extent? How did you go about preparring and revising these subjects, and when did you start revising for your final exams?

Yeah, getting a job seemed to go ok. My grades came from a lot of hard work! (a bit cliche I know) my favourite revision method is past papers which worked by far the best for Maths and Further Maths, Computing and Physics was a again a lot of past papers and going through textbooks and making my own questions (I prefer to learn by doing questions etc). I started doing the odd bits of revising around February time and started doing a lot more over Easter.
Yeah, getting a job seemed to go ok. My grades came from a lot of hard work! (a bit cliche I know) my favourite revision method is past papers which worked by far the best for Maths and Further Maths, Computing and Physics was a again a lot of past papers and going through textbooks and making my own questions (I prefer to learn by doing questions etc). I started doing the odd bits of revising around February time and started doing a lot more over Easter.

Ah ok, when you say you made your own questions, could you give any examples. I have heard this being used quite frequently by successful students, but I am not sure how you would go about making your own questions/

Oh and for less competitive courses than computing at Warwick, such as civil engineering, can they ocassionally show any leninecy (such as letting a student in, one grade short of the entry requirements)?
Ah ok, when you say you made your own questions, could you give any examples. I have heard this being used quite frequently by successful students, but I am not sure how you would go about making your own questions/

I'd go through textbooks and look for facts, then write those down on a piece of paper or type them and create my own little "test bank" along with questions textbooks give and questions I have done previously, then when I'm revising try a couple and look back through the textbook for the answers.

Oh and for less competitive courses than computing at Warwick, such as civil engineering, can they ocassionally show any leninecy (such as letting a student in, one grade short of the entry requirements)?

Honest answer is I don't know, I know computing didn't let anyone in who missed there offer this year, but obviously it depends on a million and one factors, aim to beat your offer, put the work in and you'll be fine :smile:
I'd go through textbooks and look for facts, then write those down on a piece of paper or type them and create my own little "test bank" along with questions textbooks give and questions I have done previously, then when I'm revising try a couple and look back through the textbook for the answers.

Honest answer is I don't know, I know computing didn't let anyone in who missed there offer this year, but obviously it depends on a million and one factors, aim to beat your offer, put the work in and you'll be fine :smile:

Ok, thanks a lot anyways for the info! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest