The Student Room Group

Kicked out of uni, what now

I got kicked out of uni, I am going to take a year off then reapply (to a different uni), what should my expectations be (will it be hard to get a place now, could I get place in the same course in a different university, what would the application process be like?)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by A_23_Z
I got kicked out of uni, I am going to take a year off then reapply (to a different uni), what should my expectations be (will it be hard to get a place now, could I get place in the same course in a different university, what would the application process be like?)

Why were you kicked out?What are your A levels like?What would be different this time?
Application process will be much the same, (although you may apply independently rather than with school buzzword), just listing the incomplete study as this is mandatory.

If you’re applying for the same or a similar subject, yes, it could be of concern to your new uni choices. But very much depends on the circumstances of your exit.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
Why were you kicked out?What are your A levels like?What would be different this time?

I got kicked out becuz i failed. I did a level bio chem and maths. Got b in bio c in chem and c in maths. This time I would put in more work, not going to lie wen i was at uni i was more worried about earning money to buy food and to survive. Imma move hopefully move to a uni where i can commute from home.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
It will all work out in the end, keep going
i'm not sure of the answers to your questions, but it's good that you have a plan to earn higher grades
Reply 6
Original post by A_23_Z

It is not unknown or unusual to start again although you may have to explain your circumstances as you have here.Sorry to hear you had such a hard time.Were your parents not able to make their contribution to your maintainence budget?
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
It is not unknown or unusual to start again although you may have to explain your circumstances as you have here.Sorry to hear you had such a hard time.Were your parents not able to make their contribution to your maintainence budget?

Gave a lot of my maintenance loan to my mum to pay the mortgage(don’t want to hear stuff like it’s not my job etc…). They normally ask for proof but idk if I can provide proof. Also, I failed the year so wouldn’t it be harder to apply and get in, btw i want to get in a bad uni but a good course(not med dentistry or optom) so would it be hard?
Reply 8
Original post by A_23_Z
Gave a lot of my maintenance loan to my mum to pay the mortgage(don’t want to hear stuff like it’s not my job etc…). They normally ask for proof but idk if I can provide proof. Also, I failed the year so wouldn’t it be harder to apply and get in, btw i want to get in a bad uni but a good course(not med dentistry or optom) so would it be hard?

Why did your mother expect you to pay her money from your personal student loan???
Reply 9
Original post by MelaGrace
Why did your mother expect you to pay her money from your personal student loan???

Would it be unlikely that I get in since I don’t have proof
Reply 10
Original post by A_23_Z

I am not going to say it is not your job etc but would things be any better next time?You cannot do that sort of course as you know and be working a job all the time.You have already done that and know the result.What were you doing before on your course?What have you told your old uni about what was going on?Is mum in a better position now?You would get less maintainence money if you stay at home remember.
@A_23_Z

It sounds like things haven't been easy.

It's commendable that you wanted to help your mother, but this has had a knock-on effect. Is your mother in a situation now where she can help you? Would she expect you to help her again with payments?

Before applying again, it might be an idea to make sure that you are in a financial position where you can focus on university work.

University is expensive and a student loan can help but there may also be additional funding you can get for your course for example, the NHS Learning Support Fund.

You want to achieve your best but if you know that money worries are going to prevent you from doing this, then it might be an idea to work this year, to save money and to then apply again.

I am not saying that you can't work at university or during the holidays but when it begins to affect your course, then its not good. There's no point having money for university, if they remove you from the course for lack of attendance.

Remember a degree is three or four years, so even though you can earn more money once you have a degree, you still need to be able to fund those degree years, and if you know that you don't have support from your family then you might need to save money before applying again.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 12
Original post by A_23_Z

J

Original post by University of Huddersfield
@A_23_Z

It sounds like things haven't been easy.

It's commendable that you wanted to help your mother, but this has had a knock-on effect. Is your mother in a situation now where she can help you? Would she expect you to help her again with payments?

Before applying again, it might be an idea to make sure that you are in a financial position where you can focus on university work.

University is expensive and a student loan can help but there may also be additional funding you can get for your course for example, the NHS Learning Support Fund.

You want to achieve your best but if you know that money worries are going to prevent you from doing this, then it might be an idea to work this year, to save money and to then apply again.

I am not saying that you can't work at university or during the holidays but when it begins to affect your course, then its not good. There's no point having money for university, if they remove you from the course for lack of attendance.

Remember a degree is three or four years, so even though you can earn more money once you have a degree, you still need to be able to fund those degree years, and if you know that you don't have support from your family then you might need to save money before applying again.

All the best!

I agree with this guy.Even a couple of years in work would allow you to save up enough to supplement your maintainence and hopefully things improve for mum too.What did you want to study btw?
Original post by Scotney
J

I agree with this guy.Even a couple of years in work would allow you to save up enough to supplement your maintainence and hopefully things improve for mum too.What did you want to study btw?

@Scotney

I'm female, but it is a unisex name.

Reply 14
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@Scotney

I'm female, but it is a unisex name.

Sorry happens to me all the time.People often think I am a man!😁
Original post by A_23_Z

You can appeal it with extenuating circumstances regarding your mom.

Having that stress on you would have had an effect on your ability to apply yourself n prob your mental health.

Apply for a student support fund and be honest about your situation

All the best
Original post by Scotney
Sorry happens to me all the time.People often think I am a man!😁

Laughing out loud!

No worries,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending