The Student Room Group

HELPPP how do I pay for Uni tuition

Im a muslim, and as you all know student loan charges interest, whihc is haram. Is there any alternate sources of funding that can cover my uni tuition?

PS: No, i'm not going to do an apprenticeship, I want to go to uni
Original post by huwrhuyrwiol
Im a muslim, and as you all know student loan charges interest, whihc is haram. Is there any alternate sources of funding that can cover my uni tuition?

Check with some target universities to see what options they might have.

For example King's College London has a page here headed "Information for students choosing not to take up student loans for religious reasons".

I'm Muslim myself and a lot of Muslims end up commuting as they don't wish to take out the maintenance loan which would be used for their student accomodation.

Depending on how long you have until uni you could do the following:

1) Get a job asap and save as much as possible
2) Take a year out after a levels to ensure you have enough savings for uni
3) Attempt to apply for scholarships/bursaries- you don't have to pay any of it back
4) See if you can get a relative to pay for your studies

I personally will be just taking out the tuition fee and using my savings from my retail job for uni- I'll be commuting and keeping my job for the time being so I don't think it'll be necessary to take out the maintenance loan.

I hope this helps and Eid Mubarak if you're reading this when I've sent this message :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by hyacinth77
I'm Muslim myself and a lot of Muslims end up commuting as they don't wish to take out the maintenance loan which would be used for their student accomodation.

Depending on how long you have until uni you could do the following:

1) Get a job asap and save as much as possible
2) Take a year out after a levels to ensure you have enough savings for uni
3) Attempt to apply for scholarships/bursaries- you don't have to pay any of it back
4) See if you can get a relative to pay for your studies

I personally will be just taking out the tuition fee and using my savings from my retail job for uni- I'll be commuting and keeping my job for the time being so I don't think it'll be necessary to take out the maintenance loan.

I hope this helps and Eid Mubarak if you're reading this when I've sent this message :smile:

so you will try and repay the tuition loan asap?
Reply 4
Original post by 5_ooo
so you will try and repay the tuition loan asap?

yes ofc!

you could defer your offer and take a gap year to work full time, that's what I'm doing inshaAllah and get help from parents too. Are you living at home or moving out? Check bursary and scholarship fundings too.
You could go abroad? Tuition is free in Germany and a lot of courses are in English.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
You could go abroad? Tuition is free in Germany and a lot of courses are in English.

free for anyone? or just German citizens?
Original post by Cant.be.asked
free for anyone? or just German citizens?

Everyone. You can pay in certain German states and private universities but most universities are tuition free for everyone.
Reply 9
Check out QardHasan https://qardhasan.com/ they help you to crowdfund I believe!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending