The Student Room Group

Driving in an Automatic

My practical is in two days, does anyone have any tips for someone using an Automatic?

I had to switch from manual to automatic because my co-ordination is actually really terrible and gear changing will be one less thing to worry about.

I tried to turn on the headlights while driving as part of the ‘Show Me’ section and I unconsciously steered right. My instructor had to hold the wheel.

It would be a miracle if I pass tbh...
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DedicatedWizard
I tried to turn on the headlights while driving as part of the ‘Show Me’ section and I unconsciously steered right. My instructor had to hold the wheel.

You're not ready to sit your test.
Reply 2

Is that because you’re in an automatic compared to a manual? Why is it different?
Original post by IWMTom
You're not ready to sit your test.

Yep but it’s too late to cancel now. Going to just do my best.
Original post by Notnek
Is that because you’re in an automatic compared to a manual? Why is it different?

It was the first time she asked me to do a ‘Show Me’, so I wasn’t used to it. I wish she asked me this earlier so I could get used to doing that.
I passed my practical second time using an automatic. All I would say is to try and stay calm so you can perform better, make sure you know all of the possible show me/tell me questions you could be asked and listen carefully to what the examiner is asking so you don’t make any mistakes. Also, make it really obvious that you are checking the mirrors so they can see that you are. It’s also good to do some driving just before your test if you have time. Best of luck!:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Yep but it’s too late to cancel now. Going to just do my best.

No it isn't.

Cancel.
I am sort of resigned to the fact that I will probably get a couple of majors. I am just going to try and learn from it. Any tips tho?
M A N U A L G E A R B O X M A S T E R R A C E

I dab on automatic drivers in my free time, might have to run you over.
Original post by okurr123
I passed my practical second time using an automatic. All I would say is to try and stay calm so you can perform better, make sure you know all of the possible show me/tell me questions you could be asked and listen carefully to what the examiner is asking so you don’t make any mistakes. Also, make it really obvious that you are checking the mirrors so they can see that you are. It’s also really good to do some driving just before your test if you have time. Best of luck!:smile:

Thank you so much! First helpful advice on here ^_^
Reply 10
I am sort of resigned to the fact that I will probably get a couple of majors. I am just going to try and learn from it. Any tips tho?

Why waste the test fee...
Reply 11
Think of it as a bumper car you're not supposed to bump. You'll be fine! :smile:
Thank you so much! First helpful advice on here ^_^

Haha no problem! And if it’s your first attempt, don’t worry if you don’t pass. Just use it as an experience to learn from your mistakes :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
Why waste the test fee...

I’m not going to cancel the test, I have two more lessons before it so I will make the most of them. :smile:

I will be hyper vigilant on everything, I had a lesson today (and apart from the headlight thing that happened) I was pretty okay. Just the headlight thing got me super nervous again.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by okurr123
Haha no problem! And if it’s your first attempt, don’t worry if you don’t pass. Just use it as an experience to learn from your mistakes :smile:

Thanks! I will update what I got on Thursday :smile:
Reply 15
I’m not going to cancel the test, I have two more lessons before it so I will make the most of them. :smile:

I will be hyper vigilant on everything, I had a lesson today (and apart from the headlight thing that happened) I was pretty okay. Just the headlight thing got me super nervous again.

You shouldn't be driving on your own if you can't turn your headlights on without needing someone to stop you veering into oncoming traffic...

Sorry, but it's the cold hard truth. Don't waste your test fee, unless you've got £62 to throw away!
Original post by IWMTom
You shouldn't be driving on your own if you can't turn your headlights on without needing someone to stop you veering into oncoming traffic...

Sorry, but it's the cold hard truth. Don't waste your test fee, unless you've got £62 to throw away!

The test fee is non-refundable now that it's in two days.
My practical is in two days, does anyone have any tips for someone using an Automatic?

I had to switch from manual to automatic because my co-ordination is actually really terrible and gear changing will be one less thing to worry about.

It would be a miracle if I pass tbh...

Don't worry my examiner even told me which lane to go in before the roundabout. Just hope that your examiner is good.
Good luck.
Original post by TensorTympani
Don't worry my examiner even told me which lane to go in before the roundabout. Just hope that your examiner is good.
Good luck.

Thank you, I am trying to feel at ease about this.
Reply 19
The test fee is non-refundable now that it's in two days.

Why didn't you rearrange it when you realised you weren't ready?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending