The Student Room Group

My Parents don't want me to move away for Uni

Hi guys.

I'm currently resitting my final year for Maths and Physics A-Level, I got a B in Economics last year so there wasn't any need to resit that. The story is that I applied last year and got into a university last year that was far from home (which my parents didn't want happening but allowed it to happen) and in the first week an incident happen which made me come back home and resit my A-Levels with hope of getting into a better university. When I first came back home I felt because of what happened I didn't want to move away again for university and I'd rather stay at home, so my parents were all good with that. But since some months have passed I've realized I do still want to move away to experience something else, become independent, etc. My parents were already against me moving away last year and I think ever since the incident they won't change their mind. Anyone have any advice on what I can/should do? Personally, the 'incident' did affect me and made me more cautious about moving away but I don't want to let 1 thing stop me from doing countless other good things by moving away.

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Could you just find somewhere close enough to get home easily but still away? Like around an hour's drive or with good train connections?
Hi, I’m gonna be moving away for university too. I think you should talk to your parents and explain why you want to do it. 1 thing shouldn’t stop you from pursuing your dreams. I know this doesn’t really help, but I hope it all works out. Just know that you’re not the only person with this kind of problem (I don’t know what the incident was, I mean ‘going away for studying’ problem)
Reply 3
Original post by ella.n.
Could you just find somewhere close enough to get home easily but still away? Like around an hour's drive or with good train connections?

I've applied to some uni's that are close by but honestly I kind of want to be a bit far off from home. If I lived an hour away from home my parents would just come all the time and never leave me alone lol which I don't think any 18 year old wants, may as well live at home.
Reply 4
Original post by borna_greblo
Hi, I’m gonna be moving away for university too. I think you should talk to your parents and explain why you want to do it. 1 thing shouldn’t stop you from pursuing your dreams. I know this doesn’t really help, but I hope it all works out. Just know that you’re not the only person with this kind of problem (I don’t know what the incident was, I mean ‘going away for studying’ problem)

Thanks and it does help. Well the incident was getting a mugged. Getting mugged wasn't that bad but the day after I got chased back to my accomodation after I got seen talking to some police about the mugging. It really made me feel unsafe and I got mugged on the route I'd have to take everyday to go to uni, so I thought maybe that place wasn't the one for me (possibly a silly decision, but it felt right to do before the university term actually started)
Original post by Dempsy
Thanks and it does help. Well the incident was getting a mugged. Getting mugged wasn't that bad but the day after I got chased back to my accomodation after I got seen talking to some police about the mugging. It really made me feel unsafe and I got mugged on the route I'd have to take everyday to go to uni, so I thought maybe that place wasn't the one for me (possibly a silly decision, but it felt right to do before the university term actually started)

Yeah, I wouldn’t feel safe either. But I still wouldn’t let that isolated incident stop me from doing what I want😊 Good luck😃😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending