The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

I have a bit of a tough choice to make when it comes to GCSE options; I know that choosing these options ultimately is down to me but I would like to have a second opinion!

Apart from all of the compulsory subjects, I chose German as my MFL, Classical Civilisation for my humanity (which is off timetable so I have an extra subject) and Music and Greek as my two creatives.
This leaves me with one more subject, which I am deciding between Latin or Computing.

Before we get into it, my A levels are probably going to be Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (yeah that area lol) so my teachers have told me to do whichever one I enjoy most or will do best on, but I enjoy both equally and haven't really had an idea of what the computing course would be like so I can't measure how great I will be with this course (Latin I know I can do pretty well on since I'm taking Greek as well).

So... what do y'all think?

Scroll to see replies

they're both interesting subjects- are you sure there's not one you like fractionally more than the other?
maybe go for computing if you'd like a little more variety in your gcse options
I would honestly go for latin, otherwise you might struggle to keep up with all of your subjects if they're completely different. Also, I wouldn't worry yourself too much about A Level now because I'm in year 12 and I've changed my mind several times and gone off on loads of tangents since I picked my GCSEs. It's ultimately down to you though, follow advice from people that know you personally and go with what you'll think you'll enjoy most :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by entertainmyfaith
they're both interesting subjects- are you sure there's not one you like fractionally more than the other?
maybe go for computing if you'd like a little more variety in your gcse options

yeah i was thinking about a variety, since i am already taking greek and classivs; thanks for the input though!
Reply 4
I think computer science will be much more useful, mostly for real life but also for your A levels. Also if you do latin that's a lot of languages to handle, but maybe you like that.
Reply 5
Original post by rosewillow
I would honestly go for latin, otherwise you might struggle to keep up with all of your subjects if they're completely different. Also, I wouldn't worry yourself too much about A Level now because I'm in year 12 and I've changed my mind several times and gone off on loads of tangents since I picked my GCSEs. It's ultimately down to you though, follow advice from people that know you personally and go with what you'll think you'll enjoy most :smile:

true, i can see where you're coming from for the similarities as latin and greek and classivs all overlap quite a bit!
and yeah i'm just stressing a lot for the future lol i feel like i'll end up in STEM if anything else, since i love maths, physics and chemistry and am quite set on doing these for life :h:
thank you for the help!
Reply 6
Original post by ella.n.
I think computer science will be much more useful, mostly for real life but also for your A levels. Also if you do latin that's a lot of languages to handle, but maybe you like that.

latin is an extra language, yes, but according to my classics teacher i have already learnt much of the vocab and it all ties in with greek and classivs, so maybe it won't be as hard?
hmm but yeah computer science seems more useful at this point
thanks for the help!
If it was down to me, I would say go for Computing since a) you already have two languages and one alone is difficult unless you're super talented (you probably are :rofl:) and b) Computing would help in going down the science-y route, since it's relatively modern.

Then again, it is completely your decision, we're only here for advice :biggrin:

Take what you feel you'd enjoy and do well in. Good luck! :h:
I think you should do computing because Latin is a 'dead language'; no country speaks it.
Reply 9
Original post by sammy_li11
latin is an extra language, yes, but according to my classics teacher i have already learnt much of the vocab and it all ties in with greek and classivs, so maybe it won't be as hard?
hmm but yeah computer science seems more useful at this point
thanks for the help!

If you've already learnt a lot of latin then that might make quite a difference...if you think you'll get a better grade in it then go with latin tbh, even though computer science is more useful that doesn't really matter that much. Depends if you want to make it as easy as you can for yourself or would be happy with more work.
Original post by RazzzBerries
If it was down to me, I would say go for Computing since a) you already have two languages and one alone is difficult unless you're super talented (you probably are :rofl:) and b) Computing would help in going down the science-y route, since it's relatively modern.

Then again, it is completely your decision, we're only here for advice :biggrin:

Take what you feel you'd enjoy and do well in. Good luck! :h:

i completely agree that computing seems more useful for my big life decisions! it would also go with maths, which i enjoy doing as well, but i don't know whether it's just a lot of coursework to learn whereas with latin i have already learnt quite a lot of the course
thank you so much for your advice! it really means a lot!
Original post by ella.n.
If you've already learnt a lot of latin then that might make quite a difference...if you think you'll get a better grade in it then go with latin tbh, even though computer science is more useful that doesn't really matter that much. Depends if you want to make it as easy as you can for yourself or would be happy with more work.

hm yeah i shall take that into consideration, i have just looked at the computing specification and it seems like a lot by just glancing through it whereas with latin it looks so much simpler after doing it for two/three years and being drilled with a set text etc. for preparation
at the end of the day, these two subjects won't really affect my future as much and the best i can come out with is a good grade so thank you for your advice!
i think do computing, im in year 11 and im thinking of doing math, physics and politics (not sure about politics, i might do fm too), and it seems a lot of people do either chem, comp sci or econ with maths and physics, so it'd probs benefit more (also languages are very difficult at gcse so youd rather be doing 2 than 3 lol)
Original post by DaQuestioner
I think you should do computing because Latin is a 'dead language'; no country speaks it.

this is true, but many universities favour classics (ofc it depends on what subjects you do) and since i am going down the STEM route, computing might benefit me more if i'm looking to find jobs in many years' time when technology will be at its peak
thank you for your response!
hm yeah i shall take that into consideration, i have just looked at the computing specification and it seems like a lot by just glancing through it whereas with latin it looks so much simpler after doing it for two/three years and being drilled with a set text etc. for preparation
at the end of the day, these two subjects won't really affect my future as much and the best i can come out with is a good grade so thank you for your advice!

Yes I have heard computing can be quite difficult. It seems like latin might actually be the right choice for you, and you can always switch if it comes to it.
Original post by NetNeutrality
i think do computing, im in year 11 and im thinking of doing math, physics and politics (not sure about politics, i might do fm too), and it seems a lot of people do either chem, comp sci or econ with maths and physics, so it'd probs benefit more (also languages are very difficult at gcse so youd rather be doing 2 than 3 lol)

very true, there's a lot of things to consider but first i have to make sure i get the grades i want i guess, but there seems like i would get a higher mark with latin than with computing (but then again, our school haven't started the computing gcse course yet, whereas with latin we already have practiced lots of grammar, set texts and vocab)
i'll have a good think for the next few weeks and take in what everyone here has said to decide, thanks for the help!

good luck with your mocks and GCSEs coming up!
I do GCSE Computing with AQA right now and the grade boundaries are quite high but you'll be fine even if you just memorise it all, which is what most people do.
Original post by ella.n.
Yes I have heard computing can be quite difficult. It seems like latin might actually be the right choice for you, and you can always switch if it comes to it.

yeah, i'm leaning towards it right now, although it is very close!
who knows, computing might actually turn out to be so that i dislike it when i start the course
so probably latin, because it is more familiar ground

thanks again!
Original post by DaQuestioner
I do GCSE Computing with AQA right now and the grade boundaries are quite high but you'll be fine even if you just memorise it all, which is what most people do.

ah cool our school does OCR, but there probably won't be much difference!
there is a lot to memorise from what i've seen and heard, but if you and many other people out there can survive i'm sure i'll be able to too :tongue:
thanks for the comment, and good luck for when your exams come!
very true, there's a lot of things to consider but first i have to make sure i get the grades i want i guess, but there seems like i would get a higher mark with latin than with computing (but then again, our school haven't started the computing gcse course yet, whereas with latin we already have practiced lots of grammar, set texts and vocab)
i'll have a good think for the next few weeks and take in what everyone here has said to decide, thanks for the help!

good luck with your mocks and GCSEs coming up!

ah ok thank you lol. yea thats different, we did computing from year 7, and started python and stuff in year 9. i dont find the exams too hard, but the coursework what doesnt count for anything pissed me off lol (just finished it today! :awesome:)

Quick Reply

Latest