The Student Room Group

UK suprasses Germany as world leader in veganism

From Greggs’ new vegan sausage roll and McDonald’s vegan-friendly Happy Meal to TGI Fridays “bleeding burger” and Waitrose’s ‘fishless fingers’, more and more companies are beginning to accept that veganism is now a mainstream lifestyle choice.

“With consumers' increased knowledge about animal suffering in the food industry, and supermarket giants and restaurants competing to launch exciting vegan options, it is no wonder that eating meat-free and dairy-free is now firmly mainstream in the UK,” said Charlie Huson, forward food programme manager at HSI UK.

“The fast pace of rising interest in food that is animal, eco, health-friendly, particularly amongst young people, signals that we have likely only seen that beginning of what is set to continue to be a boom in vegan-eating in Britain."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/uk-veganism-world-leader-mintel-new-launches-greggs-mcdonalds-a8725391.html
Germany was a leader in veganism??
Reply 2
I think the UK has long been ahead of the game with regards to animal welfare, since the push for free range rather than battery. For example, Danish bacon and the EU.

Having said that, this report acknowledges that a lot of the sharp rise in Brits wanting meat-free food is due to temporary things like Veganuary, yet discusses it like it's long term before January has even finished.

Regarding German food, they're famous for their sausages, definitely not vegan.
Reply 3
whoever conducted this study has never heard of India I guess
Reply 4
One of the few things that makes me proud to be British.
Actually the only other thing I can think of is the BBC😕
The only thing Germany was a world leader in was starting wars and gassing Jews.
Original post by ThomH97
I think the UK has long been ahead of the game with regards to animal welfare, since the push for free range rather than battery. For example, Danish bacon and the EU.

Having said that, this report acknowledges that a lot of the sharp rise in Brits wanting meat-free food is due to temporary things like Veganuary, yet discusses it like it's long term before January has even finished.

Regarding German food, they're famous for their sausages, definitely not vegan.

Britain is famous for fish and chips, also not vegan, so what’s your point?
Reply 7
Original post by Underscore__
Britain is famous for fish and chips, also not vegan, so what’s your point?

My point is Germany isn't famous for being vegan. You seem to think that Britain isn't famous for being vegan either, which I'd agree with.
Original post by ThomH97
My point is Germany isn't famous for being vegan. You seem to think that Britain isn't famous for being vegan either, which I'd agree with.

I’m not sure I would say any country is famous for being vegan
Germany? LOVE, love bratwurst
Sieg Kale !!

:getmecoat:
This is a sad sad day for the UK
Original post by NickAlex12
Germany was a leader in veganism??

Didn't you know? Hitler started it all...
Veganism is an inefficient use of Earth's resources. Either we can derive our organic products from all available living matter or we can limit consumption to select organic matter that is only most productive in a smaller range of environments. Keep in mind we have an exploding global population.

Plus it's pointless to waste our very human empathy on creatures that are not capable of the same level of consciousness. A fish doesn't care if it's eaten by a shark or caught in a net and eaten with chips. Animals consume and are consumed. You aren't achieving good by not consuming an animal that will be consumed or exploited by something else anyway (and probably in a more brutal fashion.) Everything dies, whether it's in a barn or in a forest. Nothing is thanking you for going vegan. Nothing cares. The circle of life turns with indifference to your 'superior' moral stance on what you eat and what your clothes are made of, and will continue to turn with indifference millions of years after your bones and vegan-friendly poncho have turned to dust, you smug, annoying hippies.
Original post by Dandaman1
Veganism is an inefficient use of Earth's resources. Either we can derive our organic products from all available living matter or we can limit consumption to select organic matter that is only most productive in a smaller range of environments. Keep in mind we have an exploding global population.

Meat production is very inefficient.

Billions of animals exist solely for the purpose of meat production. Vast lands dedicated to producing the food to feed these animals. Vast amounts of drugs being fed to these animals that ultimately mess up the ecosystem and produce superbacteria that threatens humanity itself.

Were more people vegan, these animals would not exist, leaving vastly more land available for production of food dedicated to humans. And, more importantly - since food scarcity is not really an issue, being dwarfed by obesity - less emissions.
I'm not really sure having more effeminate beta soyboys than germany is something to be proud of..
Lol, didn't recognise Germany as world leaders in veganism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending