The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

From what I have seen, the people that have done the USMLE have said they were much harder than anything they came across in the UK medical schools. I remember one of medics here saying USMLE makes the UK medical school exams feel like primary school exams. I am sure he exaggerated, but the point was the UMSLE is much harder than what you will do in UK medical schools.

I have not started medical school yet but I am going to go over USMLE step 1 material (due to my own interests). From what I can see from step 1, it is very science based i.e they test the scientific basis for alot of what you do in the clinical years. Furthermore, the structure of the exams are different. For example, here in the UK they ask alot of "one step" questions, e.g what bacteria most commonly causes UTI? But if you look at the UMSLE, their exams require multiple steps to solve. For example, instead of telling you what the diagnoses is e.g UTI, they'll tell you the symptoms, you'll have to work out the diagnosis and then answer whatever question they asked.
The USMLE is very hard and you need months of preparation for it. UK medical schools are a walk in the park.
I see.. so it seems a lot more difficult. I wonder how the ukmla will compare when it is introduced. But makes me glad there's harder materials out there should I need extra practice 👍 thanks!
Original post by chickenwing2291
I see.. so it seems a lot more difficult. I wonder how the ukmla will compare when it is introduced. But makes me glad there's harder materials out there should I need extra practice 👍 thanks!

Yes, I am also wondering how the UKMLA will compare. Are you a medical student? My advise is, start looking into the USMLE. the deeper you dive into that, the easier med school becomes. Just don't burn yourself out haha
I'm starting med school this year provided I get the A level grades (weirdly keen). I wanted to know a bit more about how the UK system compares to the US one as I find it odd that we don't have a set syllabus
Original post by Mr Optimist
Yes, I am also wondering how the UKMLA will compare. Are you a medical stud ent? My advise is, start looking into the USMLE. the deeper you dive into that, the easier med school becomes. Just don't burn yourself out haha
Original post by chickenwing2291
I'm starting med school this year provided I get the A level grades (weirdly keen). I wanted to know a bit more about how the UK system compares to the US one as I find it odd that we don't have a set syllabus

Oh I see. Then in that case just focus on acing your A-levels for now :smile:
Would it be silly to consider moving to US for training because it is shorter. Might one be able to work as a consultant in the UK earlier via a shorter training path in the US?
if i go to a med school in europe then take the ukmla or usmle will that basically make me able to practice/ get a job as a doctor in the uk or usa? plus i know the gmc would have to accept my diploma
Original post by document35
Would it be silly to consider moving to US for training because it is shorter.

In a word: yes.
Original post by Democracy
In a word: yes.

Haha thanks.

I'm still trying to work out why exactly it should be ruled out completely. Is the main thing the lifestyle is bad for a couple of years? If I complete step 3 by the end of f2 and get the residency done in 4 years, I could be a consultant in almost half the time, right? This would give me more autonomy in lifestyle/moving back to UK or other countries, no?
I feel like I need to reread the earlier posts because I'm probably missing something obvious!
thank you! so if i have my degree recognised and pass plab or ukmla in the future i can get a job in the uk as a doctor right?
My understanding of the US system was that medicine or similar courses were very expensive? £38000/yr in the UK probably seems cheap to them. I am acquainted with several doctors in the USA and all of them didn't even begin studying medicine until after completing some seriously hardcore science degrees.
What kind of resources should I use to consistently perform well in UK medical school?
I think someone said the more you dive into USMLE practice, the easier Uk medical school becomes... is this true?

Should I "fake" learn for the USMLE test to make my UK medicine course "easier"?
How did you get through med school?
When you were in uni what study method and resources did you use to (I presume) consistently do well?

What's your 2 cents on getting through UK med school? :smile:
Original post by document35
Haha thanks.

I'm still trying to work out why exactly it should be ruled out completely. Is the main thing the lifestyle is bad for a couple of years? If I complete step 3 by the end of f2 and get the residency done in 4 years, I could be a consultant in almost half the time, right? This would give me more autonomy in lifestyle/moving back to UK or other countries, no?
I feel like I need to reread the earlier posts because I'm probably missing something obvious!

I am not an expert, but I recall people on here saying it is far from being that easy. I think you need to be 'sponsored' into a training post i.e. you're expected to work in the US for 'contacts' before actually training. Its very hard to get onto a training program at all - it would most likely be family medicine i.e. GP, which is only 3 years in the UK.

Training in Europe in 4 years then coming to the UK would make a lot more sense, but you need the language of course, and that's probably a closing door with Brexit etc. Your gen med knowledge would also be noticeably inferior - but you just ask for advice more not convinced its a bad thing tbh.
Right, so basically read and sort of paraphrased the things you read into a concise and effective format to look at before exams/end of year?

Also how did you manage your time whilst a uni? (I hope you had plenty of time to study and relax)

Also, other than the MRCP books, what general resources(i.e applies to most med students/unis) do you recommend using/getting?

Latest

Trending

Trending