The Student Room Group

Mathematics at Cambridge

Hello guys.I am considerring apply for Mathematics at Cambridge...And I am currently year 12.Taking AS Maths,Further maths,Physics,Chemistry and Mandarin.Well,but some people advised me to finish all Alevel Mathematics this year which made me feel a little bit worried...I did ask my school and they didn't advise me to take STEP this year...So should I finish all alevel Mathematics this year? But if I do so,there are no more than five months for me to prepare...I am really worried now, could some one give me some advices...Will Cambridge advise us to finish alevel Mathematics this year?What do they exactly want for...Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandy.0929
Hello guys.I am considerring apply for Mathematics at Cambridge...And I am currently year 12.Taking AS Maths,Further maths,Physics,Chemistry and Mandarin.Well,but some people advised me to finish all Alevel Mathematics this year which made me feel a little bit worried...I did ask my school and they didn't advise me to take STEP this year...So should I finish all alevel Mathematics this year? But if I do so,there are no more than five months for me to prepare...I am really worried now, could some one give me some advices...Will Cambridge advise us to finish alevel Mathematics this year?What do they exactly want for...Thank you!!

You don't need to complete mathematics this year. That is a model that happens in some schools/colleges but you are learning maths and further maths in parallel rather than one course followed by the other. You certainly don't need to take STEP a year early! It's a SIXTH TERM paper - the clue is in the name.

it does make sense to get the 'easy' A level Maths modules out the way so you can focus on the further maths modules next year.
As far as I know, it's completely fine to finish maths over the course of two years. Yes there are a lot of people from independent schools who wil do the entirety of Alevel maths in first year and the entirety of Further Maths in the second year. I would say if you only have 5 months to prepare it's nto worth risking a lower grade - you want A*s to do Cambridge Maths and you should weigh up whether it's a good idea to rush it.

Also, Cambridge themselves say that you should be able to get good enough at STEP in the 6 months from the offers in January to time its taken in June. I think in some cases, taking STEP a year early means you get a harsher STEP offer instead of a reduced one. I think usually they will ask for something like an S,1 in STEP II and III. Taking the STEP foundation modules in year 12 is a good idea:
https://maths.org/step/assignments
Reply 4
What do they exactly want for...Thank you!!

They want you to be very good at Maths. Doing A-level Maths early isn't necessary, and doing STEP early is risky and also not necessary.

A better plan would be to focus on your Maths and potentially drop Chemistry and maybe Mandarin (if it's your native language it won't count anyway for Cambridge) after AS. 3 A-levels are sufficient.

In Y13 will need very good marks in Maths, FM and typically Physics. And also in Y13 you will need to prepare well for STEP.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M
You don't need to complete mathematics this year. That is a model that happens in some schools/colleges but you are learning maths and further maths in parallel rather than one course followed by the other. You certainly don't need to take STEP a year early! It's a SIXTH TERM paper - the clue is in the name.

Thanks for answering!So should I do everything step by step?
Reply 6
Original post by CollectiveSoul
it does make sense to get the 'easy' A level Maths modules out the way so you can focus on the further maths modules next year.

Thank you. But now emmm I am also doing Further maths, so what should I do then...
Thanks for answering!So should I do everything step by step?

I don't know what you mean by step by step but you should follow the programme provided by your school.

I've sent plenty of students to Cambridge to read mathematics and have always taught AS maths and further maths in year 12 and A2 maths and further maths in year 13. I haven't ever entered a student for a STEP paper in year 12.

I agree with Doonesbury that a 5 A level programme is excessively large.
Reply 8
Original post by uponthyhorse
As far as I know, it's completely fine to finish maths over the course of two years. Yes there are a lot of people from independent schools who wil do the entirety of Alevel maths in first year and the entirety of Further Maths in the second year. I would say if you only have 5 months to prepare it's nto worth risking a lower grade - you want A*s to do Cambridge Maths and you should weigh up whether it's a good idea to rush it.

Also, Cambridge themselves say that you should be able to get good enough at STEP in the 6 months from the offers in January to time its taken in June. I think in some cases, taking STEP a year early means you get a harsher STEP offer instead of a reduced one. I think usually they will ask for something like an S,1 in STEP II and III. Taking the STEP foundation modules in year 12 is a good idea:

Thankss.So you mean it is fine for me to finish Mathematics in 2years right?Since I am also doing Further Mathematics...And for STEP, my school truly said I can't do this in year 12...Well,I guess they don't advise me to do so LOL...So should I do all the things step by step?Or do you have some other advice haha? 😘
Thank you. But now emmm I am also doing Further maths, so what should I do then...

This poster apparently isn't aware that A level mathematics has been reformed and programmes are now linear. Do you really want to listen to them?
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
I don't know what you mean by step by step but you should follow the programme provided by your school.

I've sent plenty of students to Cambridge to read mathematics and have always taught AS maths and further maths in year 12 and A2 maths and further maths in year 13. I haven't ever entered a student for a STEP paper in year 12.

I agree with Doonesbury that a 5 A level programme is excessively large.

Gosh thank you sooo much ! !
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Doonesbury
They want you to be very good at Maths. Doing A-level Maths early isn't necessary, and doing STEP early is risky and also not necessary.

A better plan would be to focus on your Maths and potentially drop Chemistry and maybe Mandarin (if it's your native language it won't count anyway for Cambridge) after AS. 3 A-levels are sufficient.

In Y13 will need very good marks in Maths, FM and typically Physics. And also in Y13 you will need to prepare well for STEP.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! You almost answered all the questions that I have asked haha
Gosh thanks a lot! !

How did you do in the STMC? Have your teachers suggested books to read? When do they plan to start STEP tuition?
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
How did you do in the STMC? Have your teachers suggested books to read? When do they plan to start STEP tuition?

Sorry what do you mean for STMC? For books,nah...And I guess I need to prepare STEP myself...
Reply 14

Ow btw...The STEP foundation modules are the support resources right...Or it is a exam for year 12...
Sorry what do you mean for STMC? For books,nah...And I guess I need to prepare STEP myself...

You are in the UK? The STMC is the Senior Team maths challenge or there is the UKMT Senior Maths challenge - I'd expect to see Cambridge candidates doing them.

You need a serious talk with the maths department to ask for suitable books and how they will support STEP. Yes there are online resources but it's so much easier if you have some sort of teacher help.
Ow btw...The STEP foundation modules are the support resources right...Or it is a exam for year 12...

Yes they are resources to get you used to the concepts in STEP. Not an exam. Since often in STEP it will draw upon concepts you wont have been introduced to in maths yet (in year 12 - by the time you do the exam you will have enough knowledge), so this way you can get some familiarity and practice.
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
You are in the UK? The STMC is the Senior Team maths challenge or there is the UKMT Senior Maths challenge - I'd expect to see Cambridge candidates doing them.

You need a serious talk with the maths department to ask for suitable books and how they will support STEP. Yes there are online resources but it's so much easier if you have some sort of teacher help.

Ow,I am in Athens...Gosh,you made me feel nervous now...What should I do...
Reply 18
Yes they are resources to get you used to the concepts in STEP. Not an exam. Since often in STEP it will draw upon concepts you wont have been introduced to in maths yet (in year 12 - by the time you do the exam you will have enough knowledge), so this way you can get some familiarity and practice.

OWWWW Thank you sooo much!
Ow,I am in Athens...Gosh,you made me feel nervous now...What should I do...

Is your A level still modular then where you are?

Talk to your maths department or we can help if they aren't used to preparing students for Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest