The Student Room Group

GCSE French- study tips!!!

I have a year until I do my french GCSE exam(i'm in year 10 now), but my class has only covered two of the eight modules and my french teacher is very worried that many of us will fail...
Somehow i'm one of the more academic kids from my class, but i'm still worried that with the lack of support I wont be able to progress fast enough in time for year 11. So,does anybody with experience with learning a foreign language have any advice for getting more support/study tips in general? Any advice welcome!!!
Reply 1
If it makes you feel any better, years ago in high school I had to teach myself the subjunctive because my teacher was a merciless, sad person who refused to help me catch up after being out of school for surgery/recovery. So I know what you mean by needing to progress quickly with little support!! Flash cards used to help me *a lot* with French, and if you like having them on the go, I highly recommend you start a StudyBlue account (it’s free and I like it better than Quizlet.) WordReference is my favorite dictionary for foreign languages esp. French because it gives you lots of contextual phrases in addition to just the word, plus it has forums. Also, use DuoLingo to brush up your skills—it helps keep you on your toes even when you’re confident in a given language because hearing and engaging with the language outside of the classroom is always a good idea. Good luck :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
hey! i find that listening to french music (louane, zaz, kendji girac are great) really helps my listening skills and helps me learn words i wouldnt know otherwise, which have then since come up in lessons :smile:
im year 10 too btw
Reply 3
Original post by diplocat
If it makes you feel any better, years ago in high school I had to teach myself the subjunctive because my teacher was a merciless, sad person who refused to help me catch up after being out of school for surgery/recovery. So I know what you mean by needing to progress quickly with little support!! Flash cards used to help me *a lot* with French, and if you like having them on the go, I highly recommend you start a StudyBlue account (it’s free and I like it better than Quizlet.) WordReference is my favorite dictionary for foreign languages esp. French because it gives you lots of contextual phrases in addition to just the word, plus it has forums. Also, use DuoLingo to brush up your skills—it helps keep you on your toes even when you’re confident in a given language because hearing and engaging with the language outside of the classroom is always a good idea. Good luck :smile:

Thankyou so much!! I’ll start using Studyblue, Wordreference, etc, from now on!
Reply 4
Original post by fluff.floof
hey! i find that listening to french music (louane, zaz, kendji girac are great) really helps my listening skills and helps me learn words i wouldnt know otherwise, which have then since come up in lessons :smile:
im year 10 too btw

Thankyou! I’m really bad at finding good French music, so this really helps! And it’s nice to get advice from someone in the same boat as me
Reply 5
Original post by blue2003
Thankyou! I’m really bad at finding good French music, so this really helps! And it’s nice to get advice from someone in the same boat as me

My favourite Francophone singers are Orelsan, Angèle, Stromae, Hoshi, Alma, Bigflo et Oli, Édith Piaf, Indilia, Oldelaf and MIKA :smile: I would 100% recommend Angele in particular.
When I listen to French music, I like to listen to a song a few times to see what I can understand, then look up the lyrics and look up any new words, then listen to the song again and try and hear the individual words and make sense of the meaning. I think jts a lot better for learning French than just listening to music passively because you learn pretty complex words in context and you're much more likely to remember the vocab because you know the song
Reply 6
Thankyou so much!! I’ll start using Studyblue, Wordreference, etc, from now on!

The app conjugaison is also a godsend when trying to find verb conjugations and I tend to use reverso rather than word reference for phrases or idioms (although it's much less accurate than word reference)
Reply 7
Original post by rlewa
The app conjugaison is also a godsend when trying to find verb conjugations and I tend to use reverso rather than word reference for phrases or idioms (although it's much less accurate than word reference)

As tempting as it is to use Reverso, it is not nearly as reliable for classic French students, as it often aggregates sources from Canadian and multinational sites that do not necessarily abide by classical French rules. I do not think it much more reliable than Google Translate (which I only advocate using in a pinch!)
Reply 8
Original post by rlewa
My favourite Francophone singers are Orelsan, Angèle, Stromae, Hoshi, Alma, Bigflo et Oli, Édith Piaf, Indilia, Oldelaf and MIKA :smile: I would 100% recommend Angele in particular.
When I listen to French music, I like to listen to a song a few times to see what I can understand, then look up the lyrics and look up any new words, then listen to the song again and try and hear the individual words and make sense of the meaning. I think jts a lot better for learning French than just listening to music passively because you learn pretty complex words in context and you're much more likely to remember the vocab because you know the song

Thankyou! I’ve never really considered trying to actually understand French lyrics, so I can’t wait to try!
Reply 9
Original post by diplocat
As tempting as it is to use Reverso, it is not nearly as reliable for classic French students, as it often aggregates sources from Canadian and multinational sites that do not necessarily abide by classical French rules. I do not think it much more reliable than Google Translate (which I only advocate using in a pinch!)

Oh yeah definitely. It's just can be helpful if a phrase isn't on word reference. If I'm looking for a technical term or the name for something I generally use Wikipedia (find page in English and get the French version of the page up) so I use it pretty rarely tbh.
I have a year until I do my french GCSE exam(i'm in year 10 now), but my class has only covered two of the eight modules and my french teacher is very worried that many of us will fail...
Somehow i'm one of the more academic kids from my class, but i'm still worried that with the lack of support I wont be able to progress fast enough in time for year 11. So,does anybody with experience with learning a foreign language have any advice for getting more support/study tips in general? Any advice welcome!!!

Make sure you start learning all the vocab on your exam boards website, their should be a list with every word or phrase. For writing and speaking just prepare some complex phrases before using the subjunctive, pluperfect and other tenses to use in the exams.

haha thats alright! another thing i do for learning tenses is trying to condense all the essential onto one 6x4 flashcard, it really helps as visually it lookslike less to learn, hope that helps too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending