The Student Room Group

What do I need for a 3D animation university course?

The title may seem a little vague but allow me to elaborate, I'm wanting to start a university course for 3d animation with my eyes set on the university of huddersfield but Im completely blind into what is required of me and what i need to know or what i can expect from the course. Basically i'm completely self taught in everything i know but im still an amateur artist and to be honest i have almost no knowlegde on how to actually animate so im wondering if this will hinder my progress for the course or will they teach me from new.

I'm also worried about my portfolio and what i have to show, im not very good as of right now so i dont know if they will even accept me. Could anyone enlighten me into what i can expect from a course like this and what the course would expect from me?
Original post by JCurtisUK
The title may seem a little vague but allow me to elaborate, I'm wanting to start a university course for 3d animation with my eyes set on the university of huddersfield but Im completely blind into what is required of me and what i need to know or what i can expect from the course. Basically i'm completely self taught in everything i know but im still an amateur artist and to be honest i have almost no knowlegde on how to actually animate so im wondering if this will hinder my progress for the course or will they teach me from new.

I'm also worried about my portfolio and what i have to show, im not very good as of right now so i dont know if they will even accept me. Could anyone enlighten me into what i can expect from a course like this and what the course would expect from me?

Hi @JCurtisUK
It's good to hear you are considering Huddersfield. I checked with an academic here for you, and he provided us this information:

Our BA Animation course provides for a wide range of different kinds of experimental animation in both 2D and 3D. Ideally we like to see someone who has an interesting artistic portfolio and is very self-motivated. We introduce motion-based tools such as Adobe After Effects and Maxon Cinema4D in years 1 and 2 and concentrate quite heavily on diversifying a students skillset.
Whilst we wouldn't expect you to have prior experience of Animation, this course requires intensive self-motivated practice to develop a broad skillset.
Just so we are clear, we do not teach 3D Character-based Animation as a rule, but you are free to develop your own skillset that might introduce elements of character animation should you wish too.

Are you also consdiering any Games Design courses? Are you wanting to apply for 2019 start?
Hope this helps,
Rachel :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @JCurtisUK
It's good to hear you are considering Huddersfield. I checked with an academic here for you, and he provided us this information:

Our BA Animation course provides for a wide range of different kinds of experimental animation in both 2D and 3D. Ideally we like to see someone who has an interesting artistic portfolio and is very self-motivated. We introduce motion-based tools such as Adobe After Effects and Maxon Cinema4D in years 1 and 2 and concentrate quite heavily on diversifying a students skillset.
Whilst we wouldn't expect you to have prior experience of Animation, this course requires intensive self-motivated practice to develop a broad skillset.
Just so we are clear, we do not teach 3D Character-based Animation as a rule, but you are free to develop your own skillset that might introduce elements of character animation should you wish too.

Are you also consdiering any Games Design courses? Are you wanting to apply for 2019 start?
Hope this helps,
Rachel :smile:

Thank you for responding. in regards of my intentions for the future I dont have a set in stone path i want to take however its definately something to do with 3D design/art. I currently have my eyes set on 3D concept art which could get me a career working for all kinds of companies and I feel like an animation course will help me learn lots of new skills. When it comes to games design i have no desire to create games but being a game concept artist sounds great. Im unsure if thats what the course is for though. As far as your art courses go I couldnt find a course besides animation that would let me take this approach without going into architexture etc but do please correct me if im wrong.
Original post by JCurtisUK
Thank you for responding. in regards of my intentions for the future I dont have a set in stone path i want to take however its definately something to do with 3D design/art. I currently have my eyes set on 3D concept art which could get me a career working for all kinds of companies and I feel like an animation course will help me learn lots of new skills. When it comes to games design i have no desire to create games but being a game concept artist sounds great. Im unsure if thats what the course is for though. As far as your art courses go I couldnt find a course besides animation that would let me take this approach without going into architexture etc but do please correct me if im wrong.

Hi @JCurtisUK
I think based on what you've said and that you're looking for a 3D Concept Art course, Animation might be worth looking at. We also offer a combined courses such as Graphic Design and Animation. If you'd like to speak to a tutor about these courses to find out some more details and ask course-specific questions, please feel free to give them a call on 01484 472114.
Alternatively, we have Open Days where you can look around the university and ask questions to tutors and current students about courses that might suit you, so you're more than welcome to come along to one of those.
If you'd like to speak to a current student about either of these course please let me know and we can arrange that for you. :smile:
Speak soon,
Harriette

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending