The Student Room Group

Gcse Revision

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fh2712
Does anyone have tips for maths? Really struggling with it and I really just want a grade 6! Whenever I ask people for advice all they say is PRACTICE which I'm bored of and I don't understand! Does anyone have any tips or advice on what a daily routine with maths hsould be like? My school provide me with hegarty maths.

Same if I can get a 7 Im currently doing past paper questions and learning the concept of the methods and how to work it out if ugm I use hergarty maths and it's really helpful
Original post by fh2712
WOW well done! You must have worked hard to achieve them grades! You literally did the same exact subjects as me in GCSEs apart from French, I do Spanish. I also do triple science and my exam board is Edexcel. All the smart people in my class use the original Edexcel textbook which is like £20 each. Lots of people recommend to not memorise/use a revision guide as its too summarised and won't help you. but when I watch all these videos of people explaining how they got grade 9s in science and all they did was literally use their cgp revision guides and memorise them.
I am so stuck on what to do and I need to achieve a min grade 7 in both chem and bio. I am struggling a lot with chemistry too. Have you got any advice given that you got an 8 which is GOALS!! haha. Any advice would be appreciated...

thankss lmao
I did edexcel as well so that must mean we have the same syllabus right? as long as the information from the syllabus is also in the revision guide then its fine. I used the textbook in class when I was learning it for the first time (because the school provided it) but when I was making my own notes I used the revision guide. It is nice to have access to the textbook though because if you don’t understand something from the revision guide you can just check in the textbook or do what I did and use the free science lessons videos on YouTube and you should be fine. for me bio was easy it was just memorisation. I absolutely hated chemistry because I didn’t understand the maths. I understood the theory however things like using moles and calculations and titrations and all of that really stumped me so just make sure you do loads of questions involving maths to really work hard on that aspect. Hope this helped Xx :smile:
Original post by rockyball89
for maths I would advice using maths genie. It has lots of videos that you can watch to help understanding. Maths is easier to revise for because if you understand the working out you can apply to any questions. I would advice maybe doing a couple of maths questions a day. I'm guessing you got a grade 4 because I did as well lol, but I'm planning to get a 7 as I've been revising harder for it.

I want a 7 as well but you have to work for it!
Original post by halsx11
Omgg Congrats on ur grades but I bet you were really proud of ur self! I want to be like this as well ur literally my inspiration Thanks for being here for us and giving advice really appreciate it :smile:

Out of curiousity, what did YOU get in your mocks?:smile:
Original post by halsx11
Omgg Congrats on ur grades but I bet you were really proud of ur self! I want to be like this as well ur literally my inspiration Thanks for being here for us and giving advice really appreciate it x

Ahhhh thanks so muchhhh❤️❤️ honestly after a few of the exams I wasn’t too sure how my grades would turn out. The only thing that I was kind of confident in was English and physics but my results just go to show that as long as you put the work in, there will be a nice surprise waiting for you on results day. I remember I was in your exact same position and I was watching people in the year above me’s videos about how they got 9s at GCSEs and I was so worried because I thought it was unachievable but don’t worry, it’s really not too bad xx
Original post by fh2712
Does anyone have tips for maths? Really struggling with it and I really just want a grade 6! Whenever I ask people for advice all they say is PRACTICE which I'm bored of and I don't understand! Does anyone have any tips or advice on what a daily routine with maths hsould be like? My school provide me with hegarty maths.

you should try mathswatch maybe? they explain things really well and provide practice exercises
Original post by jemmadelaney
Ahhhh thanks so muchhhh❤️❤️ honestly after a few of the exams I wasn’t too sure how my grades would turn out. The only thing that I was kind of confident in was English and physics but my results just go to show that as long as you put the work in, there will be a nice surprise waiting for you on results day. I remember I was in your exact same position and I was watching people in the year above me’s videos about how they got 9s at GCSEs and I was so worried because I thought it was unachievable but don’t worry, it’s really not too bad xx

Yeah I just need to work for it! I stay motivated everyday but knowing i can do it really makes me want to work and this help from you is just amazing!
Original post by halsx11
Yeah I just need to work for it! I stay motivated everyday but knowing i can do it really makes me want to work and this help from you is just amazing!

i’m so glad you’re so positive☺️ good luck hun🤞🏽
Original post by rockyball89
Out of curiousity, what did YOU get in your mocks?:smile:

Okay if you really want to know:
Maths- 5
English language- 6
English lit-5
Biology- 7
Chemistry- 7
Physics-8
Geography- 5
French- 6
Religious studies- 8
Design technology- 6
I know they're not the best but I want to improve 2-3 grades so yeah x
i’m so glad you’re so positive☺️ good luck hun🤞🏽

I've always been positive :smile: Thanks and u 2 for ur A-levels x
Reply 51
what did you do to get these grades ? and hpw many subjects do you think i should revise a week and whens hould i return to revising for those subjects?
Reply 52
So do you think I can jump from 4’s in my mocks with no revision to at least 7’s and above with a lot of focused revision for three months ?
Original post by affiariaz
So do you think I can jump from 4’s in my mocks with no revision to at least 7’s and above with a lot of focused revision for three months ?

definitely, that is so achievable. Just make sure you’re doing quality revision not quantity!!!!!
Original post by affiariaz

Work smarter,not harder! You have to work to achieve these grades you can’t just jump to grades like that you have to work for it! If you do 3 months it’ll get u somewhere! U can do it 😉 Good luck
well usually (DO NOT RELY ON THIS) they do the opposite of what was done last year. For example :

For the 1st year of the new GCSE, for poetry (Love and Relationships) the 1st year had a poem on family love (Mother, Any Distance) and the 2nd year (my year) had a poem on romantic love (Singh Song) So i’m predicting that this year they’re gonna do a family poem.

ok , thank you x
I'm struggling with jane eyre - in 2017- it was an extract of Mr Brocklehurst ,,,in 2018 it was something to do with her bad situations

2019 anyone?? I struggle with this the most who has an idea about what could come up x:smile:))
Can you remember what your question actually was cos mine wasn't like that ( 2018 Jane Eyre paper)

Quick Reply

Latest