The Student Room Group

Can I do my A levels online when I move to Austalia?

This July me and my family is going to move to Australia. I would have completed one year of college and have AS levels. However I want to go to uni so its better if i do my Alevels online while i'm in Aussie for that one year. Then when i'm 18 I i would have 3 A levels possibly an ASlevel aswell.

So basically is this possible? Am I able to do A levels in a different country online? If so where can I find these courses? I've looked on places such as Open College but I think you have to live in the UK in order to apply for that. I dont mind travelling back to the UK in order to do the exams itself in May/June its just the year i'll have would be in Australia.

Thanks, Aaliyah
Original post by aaliyahmathieu
This July me and my family is going to move to Australia. I would have completed one year of college and have AS levels. However I want to go to uni so its better if i do my Alevels online while i'm in Aussie for that one year. Then when i'm 18 I i would have 3 A levels possibly an ASlevel aswell.

So basically is this possible? Am I able to do A levels in a different country online? If so where can I find these courses? I've looked on places such as Open College but I think you have to live in the UK in order to apply for that. I dont mind travelling back to the UK in order to do the exams itself in May/June its just the year i'll have would be in Australia.

Thanks, Aaliyah

Subjects with assessed coursework or practical exams can be a problem. Otherwise there are lots of options to learn A level content outside of school e.g.
https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Courses/Online-A-Level-Courses/101
https://www.nec.ac.uk/course-categories/a-levels
https://interhigh.co.uk/

If you prepared for international A levels then you might be able to take exams in Australia. Check with the british council if they offer them in Australia https://www.britishcouncil.org.au/exam/igcse-school
Hello Aaliyah,

You can take a variety of A level courses with NEC for distance learning.
All you need is an internet connection and a device that meets the minimum system requirements.

Please be advised that only Edexcel offer exams outside the UK. Therefore you may want to choose your courses with that in mind.
We also advise that, as a starting point, you enquire with exam centres in Australia as to which exams they can offer, and take it from there.

Best of luck with the move, and if we can be of any assistance please get in touch;
0800 389 2839
0044 1223 400 200 (From outside the UK)
[email protected]

--
Rana
Original post by National Extension College

Please be advised that only Edexcel offer exams outside the UK. Therefore you may want to choose your courses with that in mind.

Not really accurate, CIE (Cambridge) and AQA (oxford) also offer them.
Do you mean that if someone chooses NEC for distance learning then they should choose Edexcel materials and take Edexcel exams.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello gdunne42,
Although you are correct that CAIE examine abroad, we do not offer any A levels awarded by them at the moment, so that information was irrelevant to the enquirer.
As for AQA, this is a direct quote from their document on Conditions for Approval- Overseas Centres:
"Private students
We will only accept entries from approved overseas schools/colleges for students that are currently
on roll and taught at the school/college. Entries from private students are not accepted from
schools/colleges outside the UK."

AQA also have a specific arrangement with Oxford University Press to offer certain courses.
NEC has no such agreement with them for the courses we offer.

Since students taking courses with NEC are considered private candidates, we are required to give this advance warning. We also ask students who enquire with us to make sure they can find an exam centre before enrolling on any courses with any Awarding Bodies. The last thing we want is for students to enrol and not be able to take their exams.

I hope this clears this up.
All the best
Rana

Original post by gdunne42
Not really accurate, CIE (Cambridge) and AQA (oxford) also offer them.
Do you mean that if someone chooses NEC for distance learning then they should choose Edexcel materials and take Edexcel exams.

Quick Reply

Latest