The Student Room Group

Will Qualifying in Scotland Limit Me?

I have studied a dual-qualifying Scots Law and English Law degree at undergraduate level. My ambition is to work as a corporate lawyer in London. I have been offered a vacation scheme with a Scottish firm this summer, with a view to a training contract thereafter. I have spoke to many who claim that qualifying in Scotland and Ireland did not limit them (now in Hong Kong and London). Yet, for obvious reasons, I fear I may be making a massive mistake before my career has even really begun. FYI: there is absolutely no chance I would be happy with working in Scotland my whole life. I want to work near London's financial centre.
any job is "a job", can have great value (An Irish friend got her law degree at Trinity, but then worked for years in a hotel admin, as she didnt wish to attend the required dinners, and she never quite 'clicked' with the right company)

but yes, if you think you can solve the personal London housing situation, there should be many places available also in London [air-quality compared with Scotland would be lower] - but let your ambition be boundless
Sorry, you misunderstand. I am asking specifically about career opportunities with regards to qualifying as a solicitor in Scotland or England. I am aware of what life is like in both. Thanks anyway.
Original post by aidangranada
I am asking specifically about career opportunities with regards to qualifying as a solicitor in Scotland or England.

Good, sorry. hope you can attract responses from legally qualified people, with expert knowledge.

In general, a friend of mine who qualified in Modern Languages with Business, wrote about one hundred application letters off to companies in Paris, and received two interview offers. 97% binned.
When he visited Osaka for three months, all twenty letters that he wrote resulted in twenty interviews. I wonder if the 'niceness'/'politeness' of the surrounding cultures in this random example could translate to a London/Scotland dichotomy.

reading slightly wider, but older notes, viz. http://thestudentlawyer.com/2013/05/30/law-across-the-border-qualifying-in-england-with-a-scots-law-degree/
looks like you already have solved the extra year problem with your dual system course.
I have studied a dual-qualifying Scots Law and English Law degree at undergraduate level. My ambition is to work as a corporate lawyer in London. I have been offered a vacation scheme with a Scottish firm this summer, with a view to a training contract thereafter. I have spoke to many who claim that qualifying in Scotland and Ireland did not limit them (now in Hong Kong and London). Yet, for obvious reasons, I fear I may be making a massive mistake before my career has even really begun. FYI: there is absolutely no chance I would be happy with working in Scotland my whole life. I want to work near London's financial centre.

It honestly depends of a few factors.

Firstly if your VS/TC is at one of the upper Scottish firms, who have respected corporate departments then I would Imagine that it would be quite possible to transfer down to London at some point in your career (possibly PQE 2+). Similarly, if the Scottish firm has offices in London then it should be possible for you to work in London at some point.

But....if you're VS/TC is at an average Scottish firm, you may find it more difficult to move down to London due to a lack of experience/skills that the firms in the City would be looking for.

The only thing I would bear in mind is that the chances of gaining a VS/TC in both Scotland/ England are slim, so it may be best to take the Scottish offer than risking your luck waiting for an offer from London.
Thanks for your response. The firm does not have offices in London, though is quite reputable (ranked well in all categories). I still have two applications pending for London offices.

It's a tough decision to make. Say, I am offered funding to qualify in Scotland... do I accept that, or take a risk by rejecting the offer and funding myself through the LPC in England.
Reply 6
Thanks for your response. The firm does not have offices in London, though is quite reputable (ranked well in all categories). I still have two applications pending for London offices.

It's a tough decision to make. Say, I am offered funding to qualify in Scotland... do I accept that, or take a risk by rejecting the offer and funding myself through the LPC in England.

If you have the ability to fund yourself, why not? But obtaining a TC is pretty competitive, let alone students from the London uni themselves :s-smilie:

I'd wait and see how your current London applications turn out until making a full decision. But...as you outline above qualifying in Scotland did not limit other lawyers who wanted to work abroad. It would be a bold step to turn down a TC in Scotland to then self-fund the LPC (£16k + Living Costs) without a guaranteed TC.

However, if you feel that your are a very strong candidate who is likely to be able to obtain a TC in London then this might be worth the risk if you do not want to stay in Scotland for a few more years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending