The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Am I eligible to have Scotland's free student funding?

After my A-Levels, me and my family were interested in moving to Edinburgh to live there. I've lived in the UK all my life. If I applied to the universities in Edinburgh would I be eligible on having the free student funding?
do you live in Scotland and if so, for how long?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
do you live in Scotland and if so, for how long?
"Me and my family were interested in moving to Edinburgh to live there" No, I don't currently live in Scotland, but my family are planning to.
Original post by Jophelia
"Me and my family were interested in moving to Edinburgh to live there" No, I don't currently live in Scotland, but my family are planning to.

Scotland is not just Edinburgh... If you don't live in Scotland, you are not eligible.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
Scotland is not just Edinburgh... If you don't live in Scotland, you are not eligible.
Yes I do know that, but we are planning to move there.
Yes, I gathered.
Eligibility for Student Finance
To qualify for all three of the free tuition fees, Student Loan and bursaries, you must meet the SAAS eligibility criteria:

You have lived in the UK for at least three years prior to the start of your course

You are 'ordinarily' resident in Scotlandon a specified date (typically 1st August for courses starting in the autumn term)

You have 'settled status' in the UK on the relevant date.

After my A-Levels, me and my family were interested in moving to Edinburgh to live there. I've lived in the UK all my life. If I applied to the universities in Edinburgh would I be eligible on having the free student funding?

You should be. It should probably have to be actually living there some time before starting uni and optimally when applying for SAAS finance. They would not ordinarily accept that you are ordinary resident in Scotland if it seems that you only went to Scotland to study. Getting a house and living in Scotland at least 6 months or more before starting uni should entitle you to Scottish fees.
It depends on a few factors. First you need to have been in UK for 3 years. Secondly you need to prove you are ordinarily resident in Scotland at the time of making your application. If you just finished your A levels and then moved , for example in July , but wanted to go to university in September then you might be seen as moving to Scotland for the purpose of education even if you moved with your parents. If however, you had a gap year and lived at the Scottish address then you would qualify. The university has discretion to make these judgements so it is hard to know what each university will decide. My feeling is that if you were a UK resident and you made an application using an English address you would not be considered a home student( unless you had lived in Scotland previously for 3 years) as the fee status is determined at the point of application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending