The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Fee status appeal Edinburgh

I was assessed as an EU student by Edinburgh even though I've lived in the UK for my entire life and both my parents have lived here for the last 10 years at least. (Mother all her life and EU Father for 25 years consecutively).

I'm currently in the process of getting together information to potentially appeal the fee status so that I'm assessed as a UK applicant.

If for whatever reason I receive a rejection whilst I'm in the process of getting the information etc, can I still appeal fee status afterwards? I know you can if you get an offer but I've found no information regarding after a rejection.

Thanks for any help!
Where in the UK do you live?

Some jargon-busting for you in case there's been confusion:

SEU - means student is from Scotland or the EU, no - or low - tuition fees for undergraduate

RUK - means UK, not Scotland (eg. England, Wales, Northern Ireland). Fees of £9,250/year of undergraduate
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by kiantigger
I was assessed as an EU student by Edinburgh even though I've lived in the UK for my entire life and both my parents have lived here for the last 10 years at least. (Mother all her life and EU Father for 25 years consecutively).

I'm currently in the process of getting together information to potentially appeal the fee status so that I'm assessed as a UK applicant.

If for whatever reason I receive a rejection whilst I'm in the process of getting the information etc, can I still appeal fee status afterwards? I know you can if you get an offer but I've found no information regarding after a rejection.

Thanks for any help!

What nationality passport do you have?

Why don't you want to be EU when it means free tuition at Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for any help!

Hi I’m kinda in the same situation . So firstly are u a British citizen And also when did u get to knw if they thought u were an EU student so like basically during the application or after u sent it or did the university send u the application
Reply 4
Original post by psychfairy
Where in the UK do you live?

Some jargon-busting for you in case there's been confusion:

SEU - means student is from Scotland or the EU, no - or low - tuition fees for undergraduate

RUK - means UK, not Scotland (eg. England, Wales, Northern Ireland). Fees of £9,250/year of undergraduate

Live in England, lived in Wales for the first five years of my life but had all my education in England.

I know what all the stuff means but currently I've been assessed as UK.

I also know all the fees stuff but not sure of too bothered about the student loan.
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
What nationality passport do you have?

Why don't you want to be EU when it means free tuition at Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a German one but also an expired British one.

Because I'm not bothered about the tuition fees and I really want to go to Edinburgh basically aha

Because I'm not bothered about the tuition fees and I really want to go to Edinburgh basically aha

So why pay tuition fees when you can go there for free?!
Reply 7

And have you been rejected because you are EU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by girl_in_black
So why pay tuition fees when you can go there for free?!

Because I'm worried that even with A*A*A predicted I won't get an offer because I'm an EU student.
Reply 9
And have you been rejected because you are EU?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm just worried I will be basically. :frown:
Because I'm worried that even with A*A*A predicted I won't get an offer because I'm an EU student.

But what makes you think you would get one if you were a UK applicant?
Reply 11
Original post by girl_in_black
But what makes you think you would get one if you were a UK applicant?

I don't think I'll get one necessarily but it's far more likely if you look at the entry statistics
Reply 12
No I'm just worried I will be basically. :frown:

For which course?
Reply 13
For which course?

Computing, informatics school
Reply 14
Computing, informatics school

So that has A*AA requirement for Y2, and you have A*A*A predictions...

Tagging @Blue_Cow to the thread :moo:

I don't think I'll get one necessarily but it's far more likely if you look at the entry statistics

This is true due to ScotGov quotas, but you well exceed both standard and direct entry requirements. I think you'll be fine, honestly.

So that has A*AA requirement for Y2, and you have A*A*A predictions...

Tagging @Blue_Cow to the thread :moo:

:moo: Thanks for the tag
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Blue_Cow
This is true due to ScotGov quotas, but you well exceed both standard and direct entry requirements. I think you'll be fine, honestly.

:moo: Thanks for the tag

Really appreciate your reply, I think I'm just worried because I can't find any information about what sort of predicted grades EU students typically get offers with.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes :smile:
Hi! Aware this thread is from last year but did you end up getting an offer? I have just had exactly the same thing happen (lived in England all my life, as has my mother, father has lived here for 22 years).
Reply 18
Original post by pinkbluegreen71
Hi! Aware this thread is from last year but did you end up getting an offer? I have just had exactly the same thing happen (lived in England all my life, as has my mother, father has lived here for 22 years).

I did end up getting an offer year. I was midway through the appeals process and got an offer out of the blue so just cancelled the appeal which was nice.
I'm pretty sure I would have been able to successfully appeal but I'll never know now. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending