The Student Room Group

Music Theory

Got my music theory exam tomorrow. Anyone got any advice for how to understand intervals?
Reply 1
Original post by not_thriving
Got my music theory exam tomorrow. Anyone got any advice for how to understand intervals?

What grade?
Original post by Lukaxe
What grade?

grade 5
Reply 3
grade 5

What trouble are you having with intervals?
I don't get whether it is augmented or perfect or minor or diminished
Original post by Lukaxe
What trouble are you having with intervals?
Perfect intervals can only be with fourths and fifths!
It's a little more difficult to explain the other three - so I can give famous examples of intervals used!

Augmented (most likely to be augmented fourth) - 'Maria' from West Side Story - "Ma-ri-a, I've just met a girl called Maria"
OR 'Simpson's Theme Tune' - "The Simpsons"

Diminished and augmented chords are difficult as they can often be the same thing; an augmented fourth is also a diminished fifths e.g C to F#)

Minor - typically sound 'sad', although can be a little difficult to tell with intervals:
Minor third - 'Greensleeves' (trad)
Minor sixth - 'The Entertainer' - Scott Joplin (after the introduction)
Minor seventh (also augmented sixth) - 'Somewhere' from West Side Story (again!) - "There's a place for us..."

Hope this helps, and good luck for the exam!! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I usually compare to a normal interval. Say we take C-G, which is a normal fifth. That's 7 semitones (without the C itself). Augmented will be anything above 7, and diminished intervals are anything under.

Drawing out a rough sketch of the keys on the little scrap paper they give helps. The counting may take a little time, but it'll be worth it.

If all fails, you have the rest of the paper which should be fine. I'd say spend the most time ones that carry the more marks and are more difficult (for me, it's the 'compose 8 bars' one :/ ).

You'll be absolutely fine, I believe in youuuu! Good luck! :hugs:
thank you so much this is really appreciated! Thankfully from 2017 on the music theory papers don't contain composition, but I am pretty good on transition and cadences :smile:
Original post by RazzzBerries
I usually compare to a normal interval. Say we take C-G, which is a normal fifth. That's 7 semitones (without the C itself). Augmented will be anything above 7, and diminished intervals are anything under.

Drawing out a rough sketch of the keys on the little scrap paper they give helps. The counting may take a little time, but it'll be worth it.

If all fails, you have the rest of the paper which should be fine. I'd say spend the most time ones that carry the more marks and are more difficult (for me, it's the 'compose 8 bars' one :/ ).

You'll be absolutely fine, I believe in youuuu! Good luck! :hugs:
Thats a really good way to look at it thank you so much!!
Original post by carol.leader
Perfect intervals can only be with fourths and fifths!
It's a little more difficult to explain the other three - so I can give famous examples of intervals used!

Augmented (most likely to be augmented fourth) - 'Maria' from West Side Story - "Ma-ri-a, I've just met a girl called Maria"
OR 'Simpson's Theme Tune' - "The Simpsons"

Diminished and augmented chords are difficult as they can often be the same thing; an augmented fourth is also a diminished fifths e.g C to F#)

Minor - typically sound 'sad', although can be a little difficult to tell with intervals:
Minor third - 'Greensleeves' (trad)
Minor sixth - 'The Entertainer' - Scott Joplin (after the introduction)
Minor seventh (also augmented sixth) - 'Somewhere' from West Side Story (again!) - "There's a place for us..."

Hope this helps, and good luck for the exam!! :smile:
thank you so much this is really appreciated! Thankfully from 2017 on the music theory papers don't contain composition, but I am pretty good on transition and cadences :smile:

No problem! :h:
Really?! I did the Grade 5 paper before the change so I don't know how it works, but I've heard rumours that there's more multiple choice haha.
I've been stuck on Grade 5 for ages, got my practical on Thursday. Can't wait to get rid of this grade.
OMG good luck! what do you play?
No problem! :h:
Really?! I did the Grade 5 paper before the change so I don't know how it works, but I've heard rumours that there's more multiple choice haha.
I've been stuck on Grade 5 for ages, got my practical on Thursday. Can't wait to get rid of this grade.
OMG good luck! what do you play?

Piano. I didn't have a teacher for a year so I've been stuck on Grade 5 for two years. I'm doing it on the old syllabus though, so :tongue:.
Thank you!
Piano. I didn't have a teacher for a year so I've been stuck on Grade 5 for two years. I'm doing it on the old syllabus though, so :tongue:.
Thank you!

Pieces? FYI it’s the french one
ahhh I play piano too and I'm going to start grade 6 soon. dw you will pass I screwed up my scales awfully so bad trust me, but my pieces were decent so it was fine
Thank you!
ahhh I play piano too and I'm going to start grade 6 soon. dw you will pass I screwed up my scales awfully so bad trust me, but my pieces were decent so it was fine

Cool! We'll struggle together haha!
I'm pretty sure I'll do the same. My sight reading and chromatic scales are disgusting but I'm just praying I'll get easy ones. At this point, I just want a bloomin pass. :lol:
Original post by ThunderBeard
Pieces? FYI it’s the french one

French?
Reply 16
I don't get whether it is augmented or perfect or minor or diminished

The only intervals which can be perfect are 4ths, 5ths and octaves.

Quick Reply

Latest