The Student Room Group

I can’t understand Macbeth!!

I’m currently in year 11 and I’ve been attempting to revise macbeth for ages now but I just can’t seem to understand the play to apply anything I’ve read to exam Q’s. Learning quotations is also so hard for me!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smolbean12
I’m currently in year 11 and I’ve been attempting to revise macbeth for ages now but I just can’t seem to understand the play to apply anything I’ve read to exam Q’s. Learning quotations is also so hard for me!

what exactly are you struggling with e.g plot, characters, context, quotes? I've got notes for all of them. I'm in year 11 as well ,and have not long managed to understand it myself. It is certainly a confusing play. I hate it! (but I'm still willing to help)
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm in year 12 currently and got a 9 last year in literature, just begin to learn the key themes and how you can link quotes to the themes and then attribute those themes to the question. Make sure to practice your analysis so that you can fully expand upon a quote and max out your marks for AO1.
Reply 3
Original post by fish finger fan
what exactly are you struggling with e.g plot, characters, context, quotes? I've got notes for all of them. I'm in year 11 as well ,and have not long managed to understand it myself. It is certainly a confusing play. I hate it! (but I'm still willing to help)

mainly quotations and actually coming up with points to answer a question :frown:
mainly quotations and actually coming up with points to answer a question :frown:

"While I threat, he lives"-Macbeth. He is talking about how he is worrying about killing Duncan as treason is a serious crime, while Duncan is living completely oblivious.

"Neptune's ocean wash the blood from my hand"-Macbeth. He is guilty about killing people, also mentions Neptune who is something like the roman god of freshwater.

"Unsex me here"-Lady Macbeth. She is asking to have her gender removed, so that she can have masculine character traits.

"plucked my nipple from his boneless gums" and "dashed the brains out"- lady Macbeth. Gory I know, but she is not showing what was seen as femininity at the time.
"Great Glamis, worthy Cawdor"-Lady macbeth. She is trying to manipulate Macbeth. She is the dominant figure in the relationship, not what you would have expected at the time.

"was the hope drunk"-Lady Macbeth. She is accusing Macbeth of being drunk, and no thinking straight after he mentions plans to kill Duncan.

"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serprent under't"- Lady Macbeth.
"Turn hellhound, turn!"-Macduff before he kills Macbeth. He is calling Macbeth a dog from hell.

"fair is foul, and foul is fair", "not so happier, yet much happier"-Witches. Speaking in paradoxes. Links to when Macbeth echoes the Witches by saying "so foul and fair a day".

Also talk about how Macbeth has a servant called Seyton. "Seyton!"-,Macbeth. Sounds like satan= devil. Seyton is Macbeth's cheif servant, that could represent how the devil has taken control of Macbeth's mind.

There's some quotes, I'm not great at points, sorry. Hopefully this has been useful. Just think as well, at the end of this year we can forget that Macbeth even exists. Good luck.
Reply 5
@fish finger fan thank you so much, this was honestly so helpful :smile:) I’m currently re reading Macbeth at a slower pace and making a bank of quotes so hopefully i’ll get the hang of it soon :smile:))) xx
@fish finger fan thank you so much, this was honestly so helpful :smile:) I’m currently re reading Macbeth at a slower pace and making a bank of quotes so hopefully i’ll get the hang of it soon :smile:))) xx

Good luck.
Reply 7
Use audio books, re read the books as much as possible while listening,
Key events to do with themes post it note it with colours
Get a fresh copy of the book each chapter and highlight and comment on them - place into tables, characters, themes, locations
Write a paragraph on a theme per time of revision

When learning quotes
Quizlet (app)
Stick up on wall post its, read quotes everyday
My favourite (takes longer) - quote flash cards type out/write quotes you remember without cards, correct them
I’m currently in Year 11 and am also studying Macbeth. Do you have the revision guide? I found it quite helpful in terms of key quotations and themes etc. GCSE Pod is also a really good resource to use. If breaks everything down into short videos which go over things such as structure, tone, context, quotes, themes, characters, relationships etc. It has videos for poetry and other parts of the literature paper. Good luck in your exam!
Reply 9

I’m in year 13 now but I did very well during my exams despite never actually reading Macbeth. The key to my success is definitely GCSEPod, They had every theme, character, setting, absolutely everything I needed to know. I then also wrote notes as I was going through it and stuck them on my wall! Try GCSEPod

Hey there ,

i was just wondering if you still have your notes on them if you could please please send that to me that would be amazing.

Thank you
Original post by ami.xxo
Hey there ,

i was just wondering if you still have your notes on them if you could please please send that to me that would be amazing.

Thank you

Hey I'm really sorry I destroyed my notes on results day. But there's some quotes in a previous post on here, and if you want to make some more notse I recommend watching mr taylor on youtube, especially if you are doing edexcel. Also the CGP revision guides are very helpful. Hopefully this has been helpful, good luck.
Reply 12
Hey I'm really sorry I destroyed my notes on results day. But there's some quotes in a previous post on here, and if you want to make some more notse I recommend watching mr taylor on youtube, especially if you are doing edexcel. Also the CGP revision guides are very helpful. Hopefully this has been helpful, good luck.

Hi, which areas did you look at other than Macbeth? (Inspector Calls, Christmas Carol etc.) What were the questions/how hard did you find them? Hope you did good!
Hey anyone who needs help with Macbeth feel free to PM me ✌🏻 I also struggled 2019 gcses , but went from predicted grade 4 to a gcse grade 7 due to some of my notes
I also did shelagh delaneys a taste of honey which is rare so anyone doing it for gcses please notice me! I’ll help out
And Dr Jekyll and Mr hyde
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mreji04
Hi, which areas did you look at other than Macbeth? (Inspector Calls, Christmas Carol etc.) What were the questions/how hard did you find them? Hope you did good!

Hey, other than Macbeth I did a Christmas carol, Inspector calls and conflict poetry on edexcel. Sorry I can't remember the exact questions (other than the porter extract on macbeth and I think war photographer came up), but I don't recall them all being too bad but it depends on what themes/characters you have the most to say about. I got a 6 in English lit, which is alright I suppose it never was my strongest subject. I'll edit the post if I remember anymore but to be honest if you are doing a mock or something it's best to not know the questions as that's more realistic. Good luck with your exams.
I’m currently preparing for gsces and My teacher has predicted me an 9 however since the grade boundaries are higher she is hesitating. So i need to prove I can achieve a nine but I’m struggling with poetry:conflict. I understand all the poems but I cant seem to remember it when doing the comparisons and idk any revision tips for this. Could anyone help with this??
Original post by teeras8
I’m currently preparing for gsces and My teacher has predicted me an 9 however since the grade boundaries are higher she is hesitating. So i need to prove I can achieve a nine but I’m struggling with poetry:conflict. I understand all the poems but I cant seem to remember it when doing the comparisons and idk any revision tips for this. Could anyone help with this??

I have revision cards I made which rlly helped with condensing but having a few quotes per poem with really deep meaning
Original post by Alina2019
I have revision cards I made which rlly helped with condensing but having a few quotes per poem with really deep meaning

Thanks ill try that during the holidays ☺️
Original post by teeras8
Thanks ill try that during the holidays ☺️

I would offer to send them to you , as in pictures but I don’t know how to do that , PM me
Reply 19
Original post by Alina2019
Hey anyone who needs help with Macbeth feel free to PM me ✌🏻 I also struggled 2019 gcses , but went from predicted grade 4 to a gcse grade 7 due to some of my notes
I also did shelagh delaneys a taste of honey which is rare so anyone doing it for gcses please notice me! I’ll help out
And Dr Jekyll and Mr hyde

Hi can you help me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending