The Student Room Group

how many marks can u get if u dont talk about the extract macbeth

I hate macbeth extracts because sometimes i don't understand them, i wanted to know what would happen if i did not talk about it
Reply 1
I'm presuming none. Most of the time you need to link back to the extract to have rewardable material. I really dont reccomend this lol. Hope ur exams go well!:smile:
Reply 2
I believe you can still get marks in (for AQA at least), but it's definitely advised to speak about the extract, even if only for a few sentences. It also depends on the examiner you get. You could do 90% wider text, 10% extract and do brilliantly, but one of the key parts of the question is that you link your answer to the wider text and extract, in not doing this you can lose a bit. As said, even if you just refer to it once that's fine.

Most of the extracts (for Macbeth) are taken from famous bits of the play - e.g. Lady Macbeth or Macbeth's soliloquy. I'd recommend going through these bits (with a teacher or friend, and just trying to get to grips with them.

While it is best to use the extract as mentioned, here is an old thread from someone who didn't use it and still got an 8. Of course this is dependent on the examiner, but in the end the majority of marks come's from your actual English skills. Definitely recommended to at least make one point with the extract though - try and get some quotes from different parts of the play while revising and chances are at least one will be in an extract.

I hope that helps! Best of luck with your exams :biggrin:
You have to talk about the text. Just read Macbeth fully (not even that long), so whenever you get an extract, you know what part of the passage you've been given. Then you can just talk about how the extract positions itself within the play, and start linking to the wider text. Sure, Shakespeare's phrasing might be tricky at times, but you'll still be able to understand most of the words and simple language techniques like alliteration or similes.

For example, you might get the extract where Lady Macbeth is acting mad when the doctor comes and sees her, and you could talk about how her frantic dialogue is a sign of madness and guilt --> further extending this by talking about how Lady Macbeth was a confident character earlier on in the play who subverted traditional gender roles and controlled Macbeth, and how this has inverted over the course of the play due to her emotional fragility and inability to live with the guilt of having killed the king (I got a Lady Macbeth question for GCSE, so that's some of the material that I had prepared).

Don't just ignore the extract, that literally makes no sense for a language analysis question. As soon as the examiner sees an introduction with little to no reference to the extract, they are already going to subconsciously assign you a lower level and lower mark. Start off by explaining what part of the story the extract is from (which really shouldn't be too hard to figure out), and maybe describe what Shakespeare was trying to achieve in the extract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending