The Student Room Group

History or Geography?

I find both subjects boring, please help.
Reply 1
I do geography and it is boring. there are a LOT of case studies so if you're willing to just sit and learn facts then you'll be better at geography in my opinion. I havent studied history past year 9 but I'm interested In it now and like more essay based subjects so regret not doing it. I did geography because its more science based which I wanted to go into when I picked my options however now I'm the complete opposite. I don't think it matters too much what you pick at GCSE in my opinion but if I were you and you enjoy - or rather don't enjoy - them equally, then id honestly just go off if you prefer essays or more science type learning (the way you learn is similar I think) for geography. I can't speak much for history but if you have any questions about geography id be happy to answer (I'm in y11 so have studied ALMOST all of the gcse course and have done it since y7) hope I helped!
I would say geography cuz my friends are doing history they have so much content to learn and regret picking it
Original post by Philemon4
I did history and geography GCSE and loved both. In terms of exams, the biggest question you'll get in geography is a 9 marker, whereas in history you'll be writing over 20 markers. The grade boundary for an A* in edexcel IGCSE history was 90% (which most of us got) but the grade boundary for geog was much lower. With geography, you can literally just regurgitate all the information and you'll be fine but history is far more skills based, you need to be able analyse sources and have very good essay technique. There is defo more to learn for geography than history. I absolutely loved both subjects and you will really enjoy whichever one you chose. Also thinking about A levels, history is harder. Geography A level goes brilliantly with economics, politics, biology and other sciences. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. xxxx
neither ew
Original post by PeesieB
history is much better then geography!

I would go with geography unless it is a particularly good history syllabus
Reply 6
History, I did Geography and it was so boring
Reply 7
If you find them boring, why are you picking them. x
Original post by Philemon4

Don't do either of them then - choose something you enjoy. It should NOT be compulsory to take one of them.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Don't do either of them then - choose something you enjoy. It should NOT be compulsory to take one of them.

Exactly,
You won’t be committed enough to learn/revise for it.
Then won’t get the grade you want.

Pick something you want to, and will enjoy! ❤️
I prefer geography, but it’s all about personal preference. Geography has a lot of case studies and factual recall, but history has more essays and analysis. But if you hate them both, just don’t take either of them. You won’t be motivated to do well.
Do geography, it’s more factual and easier to learn and revise for exams. The essays are also easier.

Quick Reply

Latest