Oxford

Oxford BSG MPP 2019

Scroll to see replies

fewer than 10 days to go till the results come out...pretty nerve-wracking tbh
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
Hey PubPol - I got an offer from LSE too. Was yours for the nine-month MPP (new) or the 2-year MPA? Mine was for the new MPP.

I'm now hanging out patiently to hear from Oxford! I'm keen for a 12-month program. 9 months will fly by!
Original post by PubPol
Your first line summaries the problem as well as the solution to it. Being an applied degree it is important to have a few years of work experience behind you before you consider an MPP/MPA and make best use of the opportunity. Have heard back from Sussex, UCL, LSE in early January with unconditional offers but then I have several years of public as well as private sector experience and spent solid 3 months for essay preparation and had informed my referees to write my LoRs 2 years ago. As far as your question for LSE goes, if finance is not a barrier for you then do not waste time in thinking, just apply. Not to discourage you at this point in time, but if you pause, reflect and work for a few years and then apply for an MPP/MPA you will be doing yourself and those who you will work for, a great service. Thanks.
Reply 22
Update: apparently 802 applications this year - record number. Still only 120 places available. Fingers crossed!

See latest BSG blog post on their Facebook page
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 23
Does BSG welcome fresh graduates? I was so nervous after reading the blog, which indicated that fresh graduates are not welcome... “People who are a little further along in their careers, rather than straight out of university”. :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by rock_t
Does BSG welcome fresh graduates? I was so nervous after reading the blog, which indicated that fresh graduates are not welcome... “People who are a little further along in their careers, rather than straight out of university”. :frown:

I certainly got that impression too and am not feeling very hopeful now :frown:
Doesn't bode well at all :frown: think they used to, earlier on when the program just started, but it's quite standard, esp. in U.S policy programs only to accept students with more work experience. I suppose we can always learn from this app process and reapply in the future if we aren't one of the lucky ones. Fingers crossed tho! xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 26
Congratulations auspp (are you an Aussie btw)

Same here, the 1 year new MPP prog and yes 9 months will indeed fly by.
Best wishes for the BSG decision outcomes to you and the fellow TSR applicants.
Original post by auspp
Hey PubPol - I got an offer from LSE too. Was yours for the nine-month MPP (new) or the 2-year MPA? Mine was for the new MPP.

I'm now hanging out patiently to hear from Oxford! I'm keen for a 12-month program. 9 months will fly by!
Reply 27
Congrats to you too PubPol. The nine-month LSE MPP does look great and I'd be very happy with it if I don't get an Oxford BSG offer. Is that your plan too?

Yep I'm an Aussie :smile: What about you?
Original post by PubPol
Congratulations auspp (are you an Aussie btw)

Same here, the 1 year new MPP prog and yes 9 months will indeed fly by.
Best wishes for the BSG decision outcomes to you and the fellow TSR applicants.
Reply 28
Thank you. I worked really hard for the BSG application, so I have higher expectations there. Anyhow, it's about time :fight:

Original post by auspp
Congrats to you too PubPol. The nine-month LSE MPP does look great and I'd be very happy with it if I don't get an Oxford BSG offer. Is that your plan too?

Yep I'm an Aussie :smile: What about you?
Reply 29
Has anyone heard something? 4 days to go! :s-smilie:
Just heard back - In :smile:
Reply 31
Guys, disappointed to say I couldn't make it, best wishes to all those who got in. Cheers!
Reply 32
Me too 🥳🥳🥳
Original post by MPP2019xx
Just heard back - In :smile:
Reply 33
Sorry to hear - wishing you every success at LSE this year. You’ll have a wonderful time.
Original post by PubPol
Guys, disappointed to say I couldn't make it, best wishes to all those who got in. Cheers!
Reply 34
Thanks mate :smile: and congratulations to you!
Original post by auspp
Sorry to hear - wishing you every success at LSE this year. You’ll have a wonderful time.
Congrats to everyone who got an offer - you have an exciting time ahead of you! Unfortunately, it did not work out for me. On the bright side, I received offers from Sciences Po and UCL for their MPP/MPA programmes. Does anyone have a take on which school I should choose? I am very undecided.
Reply 36
You did your best I am sure. And congratulations for Sciences Po and UCL.
I would lean towards UCL assuming you are not based out of France or the Francophone world but again it depends on many factors.
At UCL, which MPA from which department/institute did you receive the offer from? As I understand there are several MPAs offered at UCL.
Original post by MPP19-20
Congrats to everyone who got an offer - you have an exciting time ahead of you! Unfortunately, it did not work out for me. On the bright side, I received offers from Sciences Po and UCL for their MPP/MPA programmes. Does anyone have a take on which school I should choose? I am very undecided.
I got into the MPA in Digital Technologies and Public Policy at STEaPP and the MPP in Digital, New Technologies and Public Policy at Sciences Po.
Original post by PubPol
You did your best I am sure. And congratulations for Sciences Po and UCL.
I would lean towards UCL assuming you are not based out of France or the Francophone world but again it depends on many factors.
At UCL, which MPA from which department/institute did you receive the offer from? As I understand there are several MPAs offered at UCL.
Reply 38
The STEaPP programme at UCL looks excellent since I had studied its brochure back in November, and also read about the MPA programme at Sciences Po (didn't apply though). I believe if you have STEM background and would like to work in the English speaking world while studying in the heart of London then UCL has an upper hand here (with all due respect to Sciences Po, which is also excellent btw, not sure of its MPP programme though, is it 2 years?) And one more thing, if you quickly want to get back to work then the 1 year programme might prove beneficial. Which one are you leaning towards?
Original post by MPP19-20
I got into the MPA in Digital Technologies and Public Policy at STEaPP and the MPP in Digital, New Technologies and Public Policy at Sciences Po.
(edited 5 years ago)
I am indeed leaning towards the STEaPP programme. However, when it comes to reputation amongst employers, I feel like SP may have the upper hand (not sure though). Since I come straight out of university, this is an important factor for me as well.
Original post by PubPol
The STEaPP programme at UCL looks excellent since I had studied its brochure back in November, and also read about the MPA programme at Sciences Po (didn't apply though). I believe if you have STEM background and would like to work in the English speaking world while studying in the heart of London then UCL has an upper hand here (with all due respect to Sciences Po, which is also excellent btw, not sure of its MPP programme though, is it 2 years?) And one more thing, if you quickly want to get back to work then the 1 year programme might prove beneficial. Which one are you leaning towards?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending