The Student Room Group

Teacher very strict on mark scheme

So, my Physics teacher is very strict on.mark scheme. Today I lost some points because I wrote E for energy transfer, as it is in the coursebook, and he said I should write W because this in in mark scheme. And he didn't give me the points. Other points I lost for similar "mistakes".
This is not first time when he cuts me points because I didnt write exactly as in mark scheme, even it was actualy correct, as in the book. What should I do as this affects my predicted grade?
Unless you can get another teacher to re-mark your work and fill out your predicted grade, it sounds like your only option is to learn from your 'mistakes'.
I do agree on it maybe being a bit harsh but physics notation can be quite strict, so best to adhere to it for the sake of marks.
Original post by Jordan_Wright
Unless you can get another teacher to re-mark your work and fill out your predicted grade, it sounds like your only option is to learn from your 'mistakes'.
I do agree on it maybe being a bit harsh but physics notation can be quite strict, so best to adhere to it for the sake of marks.

this is literally the problem with our current education system
Reply 3
Original post by angelinahx

yes, it is actually memorizing mark schemes but not knowing the subject :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Jordan_Wright

I understand notation is strict, but my answer was as in the textbook, I think should be accepted. I plan to see Head of Sixth Form.
(edited 5 years ago)
I agree! Teaching to gain marks in a test is not the best way to go about educating people.

I found this too with A level Human Biology. If you didn't write specific phrases or explanations the way the mark scheme had written them, you lost marks, even if you had actually answered the question correctly and used key terminology.

I ended up revising that subject primarily by memorising past paper mark schemes, and still didn't do that well because some new questions came up that I didn't have a mark scheme for.
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I found this too with A level Human Biology. If you didn't write specific phrases or explanations the way the mark scheme had written them, you lost marks, even if you had actually answered the question correctly and used key terminology.

I ended up revising that subject primarily by memorising past paper mark schemes, and still didn't do that well because some new questions came up that I didn't have a mark scheme for.

My sister said the same for biology, as you have to read the examiners minds to find out what is in their brains for each question.

But still physics is a strict science where everywhere in the world energy transferred is noted with E, while W might be accepted, but E is not wrong. Why to lose marks? Definitely I will visit some superiors as this situation.affects my predicted grades.
Original post by the_queen
So, my Physics teacher is very strict on.mark scheme. Today I lost some points because I wrote E for energy transfer, as it is in the coursebook, and he said I should write W because this in in mark scheme. And he didn't give me the points. Other points I lost for similar "mistakes".
This is not first time when he cuts me points because I didnt write exactly as in mark scheme, even it was actualy correct, as in the book. What should I do as this affects my predicted grade?

I think that the reason your teacher is doing this is because in the real A level exams, the markers are very strict about students writing things as they appear on the mark scheme and will mark an answer as wrong if it isn't written exactly how the exam board want it to be written (even if the answer is technically correct).

So I assume that what your teacher is trying to do is to get you in the habit of writing your answers in the way that the mark scheme dictates for your own benefit. This is the case for all science subjects and is very frustrating for students (and teachers) but it is not something the Head of Sixth form will be able to help you with :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
I think that the reason your teacher is doing this is because in the real A level exams, the markers are very strict about students writing things as they appear on the mark scheme and will mark an answer as wrong if it isn't written exactly how the exam board want it to be written (even if the answer is technically correct).

So I assume that what your teacher is trying to do is to get you in the habit of writing your answers in the way that the mark scheme dictates for your own benefit. This is the case for all science subjects and is very frustrating for students (and teachers) but it is not something the Head of Sixth form will be able to help you with :frown:

In this case it's all about memorizing mark schemes, but not knowing the subject. Or, if there is something new, how do we know what is in the markers' mind?
Original post by the_queen
In this case it's all about memorizing mark schemes, but not knowing the subject. Or, if there is something new, how do we know what is in the markers' mind?

It's about memorizing the mark schemes as well as knowing the subject - that's what makes it so hard

Quick Reply

Latest