The Student Room Group

Forced to be a doctor

I’ve never posted something on student room so I don’t know how this works. But I want to know what people think. My parents have been through a lot for me, but ever since I was young they’ve been pushing me towards pursuing science and becoming a doctor. They want me to help people in the future etc etc

I’ve always loved art, I’m so passionate about art, I take Product Design and Art for GCSE, and though I’m unsure of what to pursue, I definitely wanted to go down the art route.

I’m really conflicted, I hate triple science so much, I always have hated science. It’s not that I don’t find it interesting, or that I’m not smart enough for it, I just don’t like it. My parents are forcing me to take Biology and Chemistry for A Level, and at this point I’m close to just going with it. Art is useless anyway, right? I don’t know what to do anymore.

Should I pursue science, or what I’m passionate about? I know it sounds stupid not to go for something you love, but realistically a doctor sounds way better than an artist to them. I don’t want to take art and disappoint my parents, I want them to be proud of me.

Scroll to see replies

Don't do something you hate, especially Medicine, it's too difficult to do without any motivation.
Original post by toodoroki
I’ve never posted something on student room so I don’t know how this works. But I want to know what people think. My parents have been through a lot for me, but ever since I was young they’ve been pushing me towards pursuing science and becoming a doctor. They want me to help people in the future etc etc

I’ve always loved art, I’m so passionate about art, I take Product Design and Art for GCSE, and though I’m unsure of what to pursue, I definitely wanted to go down the art route.

I’m really conflicted, I hate triple science so much, I always have hated science. It’s not that I don’t find it interesting, or that I’m not smart enough for it, I just don’t like it. My parents are forcing me to take Biology and Chemistry for A Level, and at this point I’m close to just going with it. Art is useless anyway, right? I don’t know what to do anymore.

Should I pursue science, or what I’m passionate about? I know it sounds stupid not to go for something you love, but realistically a doctor sounds way better than an artist to them. I don’t want to take art and disappoint my parents, I want them to be proud of me.

It is your life - you will be unhappy studying subjects you hate. Your parents should understand this. Talk to someone at school and get those options changed :smile:
Medicine is difficult enough as it is and so are A levels to a lesser degree. Pick the subjects that you want to for a level and then go from there. You have sometime to decide what you want. My mother was the same as your parents but I point blank refused to change my mind from psychology. Eventually she just had to accept that i wasn’t going to be a doctor. And now after a year long process of learning about psychology and some happy accidents with the local psychology ward at a hospital she is happy about em pursuing it and is pushing me to be a consultant psychologist.
Reply 4
I feel for people, such as yourself, who are forced into a career path by those who are meant to have your best interests at heart.

You said yourself, you're much more interested in pursuing an artistic/creative route, opposed to a medical route.

Don't let anyone pressure you into subjects, courses or a career path that you personally aren't interested in, as it will unfortunately end badly.

I go to a grammar school and the number of people that I have seen being forced into medicine, due to their parental influence, is unbelievable.

Do what you enjoy and don't let your parents dictate what you "should" be doing in life; after all it's your life, not theirs.
Art is a great subject, and as you said, art may be useless to some extent. Though I'm pretty sure some people succeed in that profession, while most often the future isn't all too colourful as it seems.
One thing I know is that Art A-level is hard af, all the students ik are just getting by alongside all their other A-levels.
I can clearly see you hate science, and pretty sure you will hate medicine too. In my head, psychology seems to be a mix of art and medicine as it does involve sciences but isn't too heavy as med but also has a creative psychological side to it. Do you do psychology for GCSE? If so, do you like it? If not, I think you should look into it.
Don't follow what your parents want you to do, and they're expecting medicine, and then there's you who already hates med - and like ----said, you'll lack motivation and do pretty bad in those studies later - this leads to wasting your A-levels as well.
Think about it carefully.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
You parents only just care about you, but this seems really harsh. If they know you are passionate about art they should let you do art and pursue whatever career you want. Don't let yourself be forced, also if your parents force you into medicine you could end up having a bad relationship with them in years to come. My dad knows a guy who was forced into medicine due to his parents being doctors themselves, when his true passion is engineering.
If you do something you dislike you will always resent it, the art subjects are often overlooked, but people who overlook them have such outdated views. Careers such as, User Experience, Graphic Design and other artistic fields are in such high demand - the world has changed and unfortunately it’s hard for parents to see that. You need to follow your passion otherwise you’ll hit the same dilemma at a later stage when it’s harder to get out of and do what you love. Most people who do what they love succeed. Maybe check out some careers in a more creative field and contact people on LinkedIn for advice if you’re worried. But I would suggest do what you love I know it may suck at the beginning with your parents but they’ll understand when you’re happy and successful.

Secondly read Adam Kay’s book about being a junior doctor and the life of one - so many doctors are quitting now and going into other fields. We need compassionate doctors who love medicine :smile:

Also most people in their mid 20’s are still choosing careers so no pressure now you have ageees!
(edited 5 years ago)

I'm actually going into medicine soon, and even though my grades are ****, I'm still going towards that path in a few years. Initially, I have no passion for medicine and such, but like you, my parents have cuffed me into thinking that I should be a doctor. I see why they say that - they've had a tough life, and they still do, and the status of doctor is a very gracious one, where ease is the only result, and no hardship follows after the hardship during studying it.

And the fact that I honestly do not have any dream or passion for anything may or may not be because of hearing 'you're gonna be a doctor when you grow up, right?' from my parents - or it could just be that I hate studying altogether. Regardless, I just have this thought that since I really don't have a passion for anything, I can take on medicine - which is why I'm headset on that.

However, you have a passion for something, something that you love and enjoy - I think you should go for art and designing instead of med, unlike me who really needs medicine to fill in that passion-gap in my identity.
Ask your parents whether - when they become seriously ill - they would like to have a doctor who didn't really care about curing them.
Reply 10
You need to be firm with this. If science is not for you, medicine is absolutely not for you and you should not be forced into an intense and stressful career path. If you take biology and chemistry for A-level and you hate those subjects then I can guarantee that A-levels will be the worst two years of your life - unless you go on to take a medical degree...

I wouldn't go so far as to call art 'useless'. Okay, it's statistically unlikely that you'd make a stable career out of it, but nobody's forcing you to make a career of the subjects you're taking anyway. Your A-level choices will not decide what you'll do to make a living. Your degree won't necessarily decide that. You will. You shouldn't even feel forced to go to university. If you're worried about your parents being disappointed, use that as motivation to make sure that what you achieve makes them proud.
Reply 11
Why don’t you pick dentistry?
Majority of dentist tell me that there is art in dentistry especially sculpting moulds

Original post by Jj1EM
Why don’t you pick dentistry?
Majority of dentist tell me that there is art in dentistry especially sculpting moulds

Isn't dentistry equivalent to med in terms of sciences and workload though? it's stressful as heck as I've heard.
Original post by ageshallnot
Ask your parents whether - when they become seriously ill - they would like to have a doctor who didn't really care about curing them.

I know that feeling about doctors not caring. :sadnod:
Reply 14
Original post by euphorism
Isn't dentistry equivalent to med in terms of sciences and workload though? it's stressful as heck as I've heard.

I guess that is true but then I thought they were killing two birds with one stone. A) Art Is incorporated B) They are still helping people C) Parents are proud. But then on the con side the workload is probably hectic and possibility of no social life at uni. Damm this is tough!
Original post by Jj1EM
I guess that is true but then I thought they were killing two birds with one stone. A) Art Is incorporated B) They are still helping people C) Parents are proud. But then on the con side the workload is probably hectic and possibility of no social life at uni. Damm this is tough!

Yeah, I thought of suggesting psychology since it's a very interesting subject since it involves science + art + using mind + philosophy (i personally love psychology + sociology), though it all depends on the individual I guess.
Original post by euphorism
I'm actually going into medicine soon, and even though my grades are ****, I'm still going towards that path in a few years. Initially, I have no passion for medicine and such, but like you, my parents have cuffed me into thinking that I should be a doctor. I see why they say that - they've had a tough life, and they still do, and the status of doctor is a very gracious one, where ease is the only result, and no hardship follows after the hardship during studying it.

And the fact that I honestly do not have any dream or passion for anything may or may not be because of hearing 'you're gonna be a doctor when you grow up, right?' from my parents - or it could just be that I hate studying altogether. Regardless, I just have this thought that since I really don't have a passion for anything, I can take on medicine - which is why I'm headset on that.

However, you have a passion for something, something that you love and enjoy - I think you should go for art and designing instead of med, unlike me who really needs medicine to fill in that passion-gap in my identity.

And damn hell, I went for hospital work experience and an FY2 doctor asked me "Why do you want to be a doctor?" I just froze, because honestly speaking, I have no reason, I'm just going with the flow. To answer that question in the future, I honestly have to ponder over it or steal the sample answers online lmao.

And no, I do care for patients and through my A-level subjects I've learnt to care for patients, 6cs and all that so I have no problem with being a doc.

If you, @toodoroki , take on med, you'll be asked such a question and I think you'd struggle worse than me to answer truthfully to this question.
you are dooming yourself to a miserable career if you insist on following your parents' instructions. do something you enjoy.

Definitely don’t listen to your parents. At the end of the day it’s your life and you don’t want to end up pursuing a career you hate. Also, medicine requires dedication, motivation and perseverance and majority of the time only those who truly want to become doctors will spend the time and effort to get a place at med school. The competition is fierce. I think you should sit down and explain this to your parents. Open up and tell them how you truly feel. I understand your situation. Perhaps talk to a teacher for advice? And maybe they can also talk to your parents. In the future you wouldn’t want to look back and think what if? You wouldn’t want any regrets so I think you should do what YOU want to do and I’m sure you will achieve great things. You’re parents will eventually come round.
That was kinda like me when I was younger I wanted to be a vet, they kind of pushed me so that I could get there. But eventually I changed my mind to criminology law so I told them and they were fine with it. I think you should tell them but there is no point doing something you don’t want to do. You could take them for a level and do your third subject as art or a media based subject. Do a range of subjects not just science so you can expand your qualifications and it opens up more opportunities for you.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest