The Student Room Group

calling all females

so I jus started my period and I’m getting mad back aches non stop and it only stops when I’m lying down or summat. is this normal?
Original post by Anonymous
so I jus started my period and I’m getting mad back aches non stop and it only stops when I’m lying down or summat. is this normal?

Yes it's normal to get back aches with periods. It's just part of the process of expelling the uterus lining.

Yes it is normal. You might find that you need pain relief for the first day or so of your period. Paracetamol or ibuprofen usually work - ask your parent if you can take some. Sitting with a hot water bottle can also help (but perhaps not in today's heat).
Reply 3
Yes, that can be normal. I get back pain, stomach and uterus pain and a little pain down my legs. Ibuprofen and paracetamol can work well. Normally you will need take it for the first 2 days, but everyone experiences different heaviness and pain. Some people have bad pain the whole time.

Just as a PSA to anyone.
It is not normal to have very painful periods or very heavy periods. You shouldn’t have to force yourself through the day and then feel horrible at home. You can go to the doctor and get specific medication for the pain during a period or if that doesn’t work then, if you want to, you can take the contraceptive pill to either reduce the pain or stop it altogether if you want to. That is the route I went down.
Had to take days off school for pain, felt horrible for the first two days and was forcing myself through the day with a smile on my face. I went to the doctors and got mefenamic acid (spelt it wrong) (also, if taking, it may be helpful to take some the day before your period starts as well to prepare). That worked for 2 to 3 years and then the effect of it started to wear off, so I have started on the contraceptive pill. I know that some people do not want to take it either because of health worries, religion or other, but for me realistically there was no other option. There should always be options other than forcing yourself through.
Hope this helps anyone (and not to scare the original poster)
Reply 4
I'm so glad I found this post, this is totally unrelated to the OP but I kinda didn't want to start a new thread.
My periods have been super regular and continued to do so when I got an IUD (non hormonal). I've had the IUD for over a year so I'm not sure whether I should consider it a factor to this problem. My most recent period was 2 weeks ago, and like every other, it usually stops around the 6-7th day mark. Sometimes I'd get the odd leftover blood a few days later but that's completely normal. However, this time, my period hasn't stopped. It's definitely not like day 1 and 2 heavy, more like I'm stuck on day 5 where there's little blood but you would still need a pad/pantyliner otherwise your underwear is completely ruined. I thought it was just an off week or I was some leftover blood and expected it to stop but then I started getting cramps and other period symptoms (so I also ruled out discharge mixed with blood).
I have no idea if this is normal and I'm a bit worried since nothing like this has happened before, like I said they're always super regular.
I'm thinking it might just be exam stress but I've had phases where I've been way more stressed than I am now but my periods were never affected. I need some advice urgently!
Reply 5
Thank you for all of your responses, it jus felt weird since I’m on day 4 of the period never experienced this back pain before and still am. I’ll jus wait till it’s over 🤞

yes it is and i feel you on that one just wait till you have the worst cramps in your life i had them in math summer camp and i cussed a teacher out lol

Quick Reply

Latest