The Student Room Group

Combined PGCE?

(Sorry I know the category is odd but I couldn't find one that fits)

Hi,
I am planning to do a biochemistry degree at university next year and then take that into a PGCE and become a secondary science teacher. I know that with biochemistry you can do either a biology or chemistry PGCE, but honestly I would love to teach both. Is there such thing as a biology and chemistry combined PGCE? Or would I have to do two PGCE courses across two years? I know that there are physics and maths combined PGCEs so I was wondering if a bio/chem one exists
Help is appreciated
Hi

I've moved this thread to our teaching careers forum as that's probably where it best fits.

At the moment, even though you nominally specialize, teachers of any science are expected to teach all 3 to GCSE. Your choice of subject is just the one you'd feel most comfortable teaching to A-level. However, if you wanted to teach both to A-level, there might be chances to do this during placement if you are lucky.

When you come to apply, if they are still funded in the same way, I'd just apply for the one that has the biggest bursary.

However, if you haven't even gone to uni yet, it's very likely your career plans may change, so I wouldn't worry about this too much!
Ahh okay thank you, that makes sense, I'll keep it in mind!

(also thanks I didn't see that forum haha)
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

I've moved this thread to our teaching careers forum as that's probably where it best fits.

At the moment, even though you nominally specialize, teachers of any science are expected to teach all 3 to GCSE. Your choice of subject is just the one you'd feel most comfortable teaching to A-level. However, if you wanted to teach both to A-level, there might be chances to do this during placement if you are lucky.

When you come to apply, if they are still funded in the same way, I'd just apply for the one that has the biggest bursary.

However, if you haven't even gone to uni yet, it's very likely your career plans may change, so I wouldn't worry about this too much!
Original post by matthew0401
Ahh okay thank you, that makes sense, I'll keep it in mind!

(also thanks I didn't see that forum haha)

No worries about not seeing the forum, it's a bit hidden at the bottom!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending