The Student Room Group

The biggest mistake that Theresa May did regarding Brexit is...

Scroll to see replies

Not repealing the European Communities Act 1972.
Siding with the ERG. Might as well go to peace talks accompanied by Hitler.
Original post by username1221160
You seem to be forgetting that there was a General Election last year. The British electorate had the option to vote out remain supporting MPs yet chose not to.

Project Fear.

Because most stood on a manifesto of leaving the EU.
May's biggest mistake was producing the worst manifesto in the history of elections because she believed that Brexit was the only issue people cared about, a semi reasonable manifesto would have resulted in a landslide.
This is what I find most amusing about those who point to the success of Corbyn at the last GE, he was facing that shockingly bad manifesto and still lost, and he only got as many votes as he did because Labour promised to uphold the result of the referendum, a matter they now appear to be renaging on.
Reply 23
It's a SHAMBLES that despite a Brexit a vote ONLY REMAINERS were put in charge of leading us out. From the onset, Britan was doom for this BS. The remainers don't want to leave and their plan was to tire us out with this nonsense.
AND I SWEAR IF THERE IS A SECOND REFERENDUM I WILL RIOT.
Original post by Chiiz
It's a SHAMBLES that despite a Brexit a vote ONLY REMAINERS were put in charge of leading us out. From the onset, Britan was doom for this BS. The remainers don't want to leave and their plan was to tire us out with this nonsense.

I pray there isn't and I prayer there is not an extension to A50. Both will do too much damage to the country I dearly love.
Negotiating with one hand tied behind her back. Should have said look... offer me Cameron +++ and we'll go for a second referendum. Instead, she let ERG fanatics dictate the strategy and will end up with a second referendum for a Cameron -.
Original post by Chiiz

Great... I can ride a horse and wave a big stick should they need any volunteers.
Original post by Vinny C
Great... I can ride a horse and wave a big stick should they need any volunteers.

Uh oh, violent Vinny is back.
Watch out everyone, he'll literally ******** you to death.
Original post by Burton Bridge
I pray there isn't and I prayer there is not an extension to A50. Both will do too much damage to the country I dearly love.

17.4 million fools believing a clown on a bus have already done the damage, my friend. The A50 needs an extension anyway... it stops at Leicester and who in their right mind wants to end up there?
Original post by Vinny C
17.4 million fools believing a clown on a bus have already done the damage, my friend. The A50 needs an extension anyway... it stops at Leicester and who in their right mind wants to end up there?

17.4 million fools ....... Bigoted much?
17.4 million fools ....... Bigoted much?

What do you expect me to say about people who base their vote on the promises of an overweight clown famous for talking b/s and a known fanatic with a history of hate peddling?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
What do you expect me to say about people who base their vote on an overweight clown famous for talking b/s and a known fanatic with a history of hate mongering?

If you would peak over you're borris goggles, you would realise that many including myself didn't base base their vote on an overweight clown famous for talking b/s and a known fanatic with a history of hate mongering!

Many have been telling you this in simple English repeatedly, but you are too bigoted to take their point of veiw in.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you would peak over you're borris goggles, you would realise that many including myself didn't base base their vote on an overweight clown famous for talking b/s and a known fanatic with a history of hate mongering!

Many have been telling you this in simple English repeatedly, but you are too bigoted to take their point of veiw in.

Oh... so you sought to solve your social problems by trashing the economy? Another inspired motive from Brexit brain, mindless attention seeking by bricking in your own windows.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
Oh... so you sought to solve your social problems by trashing the economy? Another inspired motive from Brexit brain, mindless attention seeking by bricking in your own windows.

I'm getting the impression that you don't understand any arguments against your beloved European Union, a great many of us have had an issue since before Boris was even an MP, not that you will believe it could be possible.
Calling a second general election and losing her majority.
Original post by Vinny C

*you sought to solve your social problems by trashing the economy?*
You could say the same about you, you want another referendum which would only cause more uncertainty not to mention the damage it would do to a large section of the publics trust in democracy.

I believe the best way is to end uncertainty and get this over with. I know you will completely misunderstand this post but I can but try.
*you sought to solve your social problems by trashing the economy?*
You could say the same about you, you want another referendum which would only cause more uncertainty not to mention the damage it would do to a large section of the publics trust in democracy.

I believe the best way is to end uncertainty and get this over with. I know you will completely misunderstand this post but I can but try.

I don't think this has anything to do with damaging trust in the govt, it couldn't possibly be any lower. I think it's more to do with the risk of you lot rioting and damaging shop windows. Like I said... your true colours will be all you have left and we will finally see the Brexit crowd as they really are.

Only UKIP monthly could argue that a democratic process to resolve a crisis of their own making is a violation of democracy!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
I don't think this has anything to do with damaging trust in the govt, it couldn't possibly be any lower. I think it's more to do with the risk of you lot rioting and damaging shop windows. Like I said... your true colours will be all you have left and we will finally see the Brexit crowd as they really are.

Only UKIP monthly could argue that a democratic process to resolve a crisis of their own making is a violation of democracy!

Yawn Vinny!

Are you ready to condem the actions of remain thugs yet? You repeatedly refused to the last time you brought this up false allegation up.

A second referendum would be undemocratic, the part that so many remainers are (in my opinion) deliberately missing/ignoring is since the June 2016 referendum, MPs have repeatedly voted in support of the result, in the name of implementing a decision taken by a majority of the electorate. Many seem to forget that between the original Brexit vote and today, we had a general election.

Conservative and Labour parties both committed themselves in their manifestos to implementing the referendum result. Only the Liberal Democrats could say that they opposed Brexit in an election that saw them pick up only a handful more seats than the catastrophic 2015 election. The same happened over the so-called “great repeal bill”, the legislation required to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, when MPs rejected an amendment calling for a referendum on whether to support the deal or remain in the EU.

For the House of Commons to endorse a second referendum, it would have to repeal past Brexit legislation in a manner that flouts the position adopted by the main parties in the last general election. Were this to happen, it would tear up established relations between executive and legislature, pitting popular and parliamentary sovereignty against one another. Parliament would in effect be seeking, in a Brechtian fashion, to dissolve “the people” and put another in place that will vote differently in a second referendum.

It appears to me some remainers are irresponsibly trying anything for the greater good of bringimg us one step closer to the UK staying in the EU, showing a total lack of concern for the consequences.
(edited 5 years ago)
Volunteering for the top job.
Yawn Vinny!

Are you ready to condem the actions of remain thugs yet? You repeatedly refused to the last time you brought this up false allegation up.

A second referendum would be undemocratic, the part that so many remainers are (in my opinion) deliberately missing/ignoring is since the June 2016 referendum, MPs have repeatedly voted in support of the result, in the name of implementing a decision taken by a majority of the electorate. Many seem to forget that between the original Brexit vote and today, we had a general election.

Conservative and Labour parties both committed themselves in their manifestos to implementing the referendum result. Only the Liberal Democrats could say that they opposed Brexit in an election that saw them pick up only a handful more seats than the catastrophic 2015 election. The same happened over the so-called “great repeal bill”, the legislation required to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, when MPs rejected an amendment calling for a referendum on whether to support the deal or remain in the EU.

For the House of Commons to endorse a second referendum, it would have to repeal past Brexit legislation in a manner that flouts the position adopted by the main parties in the last general election. Were this to happen, it would tear up established relations between executive and legislature, pitting popular and parliamentary sovereignty against one another. Parliament would in effect be seeking, in a Brechtian fashion, to dissolve “the people” and put another in place that will vote differently in a second referendum.

It appears to me some remainers are irresponsibly trying anything for the greater good of bringimg us one step closer to the UK staying in the EU, showing a total lack of concern for the consequences.

Double yawn... if it can't be said in one or two sentences then it attempts to twist the truth. My horse is ready!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending