The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ancient_queen
Hi thomc. I've applied for the course (CS track) and will be starting in April. I work in healthcare at the moment and am looking to make a career change. I can do some programming (Android development), but it's just something I have been doing on and off in my own time. Have you applied for the course?

Original post by bilalashraf
Hi everyone, I am also looking forward to this program but couldn't any reviews on the internet. The program's website does not mention if this is its 1st year. Anyways, the University itself is well-reputed so I have accepted the offer. I did a ton of research though, and could not find any other program like this with similar cost. I have a friend who did MSc in Electrical & Telecom Engr, and his feedback was positive about the university and its CS department.

I am currently working as a network engineer in an O&M project of an evolved packet core network (EPC 4G). We sometimes also have to work on a large amount of data to determine network performance. I have some experience on VBA, VB script and python. But I would rather say I am a beginner. I am planning to take my skills to the next level and focus more on the data analytics part of my job, our organization also has a separate analysis team as well, so I would too love to join that team as I personally like what they are doing.

Original post by akabayashi
Hey, I got accepted for the MSc in Comp Sci at York. Didn't realise it's the first year they're runNining this course. I was looking at Hertfordshire and Staffordshire initially but went for York seeing as they're Russel Group and top 20 UK for Comp Sci. Bath actually rank a bit higher in that dept but its 5k more expensive like others have mentioned and I believe it's 3 years part time rather than the 2 at York. I've been a software dev for 2 years after doing a 4 month coding bootcamp. I did my undergrad in Business and am looking to be able to travel/ move abroad with it once i've beefed up my experience. The not having a degree in a related field holds you back somewhat for visa's and in general, job apps almost always list a degree as a requirement. I'm going for it so I don't get held back in future and so I can fill in the blanks of the comp sci knowledge I missed out on from the bootcamp.

Where are you guys based?
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm based in Edinburgh but also a fellow Canadian (well half). I should have mentioned this before but Bath just did an online Webinar discussing their Comp Sci MSc. I believe they plan to do another one. For anyone interested, it's worth looking out for. I'll make sure and link if I see them, York or any of the other uni's discussed hold one.
Original post by elideli
Original post by elideli

I am from Pakistan currently working in Saudi Arabia.
Reply 23
Hi all, I’m glad I found this thread, I’ve been looking for people to talk about it with for a while now!I’ve been accepted for the CS with data analytics degree starting in April. I have a bachelors in mech eng and have been working in automotive. I now spend a lot of my time coding tools in Matlab so I am looking to branch my skills out a bitc and also get a piece of paper to tell recruiters in other industries that they should consider me!I’m pretty aprehensive about the fact that it’s an unproven online course but I plan to pay module by module and see how things go initially too.I also considered Bath and Edinburgh but I’ve applied for a student loan and found out I couldn’t get one for those courses as they listed the length of the course as too long to qualify. So that’s what narrowed it down to York for me in the end.
Also signed up, so glad to see this thread! I'm based in London.

I have a bachelors in electronic eng, and spend most of my time programming these days (embedded software engineer).

For me, I'm hoping this provides me a stepping stone into working on more complex systems, bridge the gap between traditional CS fundamentals for which I see a need and EE.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by elideli

I'm based in Nottingham.

Has anyone purchased the core textbooks for the first module? If so, how are you getting on with them?
Hi all,

Thank you for all the useful information in this thread. I have offers from both York and Bath's online MSc in Computer Science programmes and is having troubles deciding between these two programmes.

York's programme is shorter and cheaper but the Transcript will mention "online"/ "distance learning" after you graduate.

Bath's Transcript won't mention this, but its programme is longer by 1 year and £5,000 more expensive.

Bath ranks better nationally but York ranks higher internationally.

Over the application process, it's clear to me that Bath's student service and care is much better than York's.

What are your opinions on this? Which university is more prestigious and well-known? Which one should I choose?

Thank you very much.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by ericchau
Hi all,

Thank you for all the useful information in this thread. I have offers from both York and Bath's online MSc in Computer Science programmes and is having troubles deciding between these two programmes.

York's programme is shorter and cheaper but the Transcript will mention "online"/ "distance learning" after you graduate.

Bath's Transcript won't mention this, but its programme is longer by 1 year and £5,000 more expensive.

Bath ranks better nationally but York ranks higher internationally.

Over the application process, it's clear to me that Bath's student service and care is much better than York's.

What are your opinions on this? Which university is more prestigious and well-known? Which one should I choose?

Thank you very much.

Who mentioned to you that the transcript has online/distance?
Original post by elideli
Who mentioned to you that the transcript has online/distance?

I specifically asked the university staff and they told me that "online/distance learning" will be mentioned on the Transcript.
Reply 29
I specifically asked the university staff and they told me that "online/distance learning" will be mentioned on the Transcript.

disappointing...
Original post by elideli
disappointing...

I was also disappointed to find out about this. That's why I'm having troubles deciding between York's and Bath's programmes. So, what do you think? Will you continue to study with York?
Reply 31
I'm based in Nottingham.

Has anyone purchased the core textbooks for the first module? If so, how are you getting on with them?

Where did you see the core textbooks listed?
Original post by Evc1
Where did you see the core textbooks listed?

I don't think they're listed anywhere online. I asked the university staff. They said the two main books for the first module are 'Introduction to Algorithms' (Cormen et al., 2009) and 'Java in Two Semesters - Fourth Edition' (Charatan & Kans, 2019 - third edition is also fine).
I was also disappointed to find out about this. That's why I'm having troubles deciding between York's and Bath's programmes. So, what do you think? Will you continue to study with York?

Original post by elideli
disappointing...

I asked York representative and she told me the same. I don't think this an issue. The University itself is accredited and allowed to issue a degree in the UK, so the program is legal. For me, I asked my country's Higher Education Council and they have confirmed that this degree will be considered equivalent to the MSc level.

So, I don't think that the transcripts stating "distance/online" is an issue as long as the program is legit and legal. I am more concerned about the quality of education, and I hope they would deliver a good enough experience.
I don't think they're listed anywhere online. I asked the university staff. They said the two main books for the first module are 'Introduction to Algorithms' (Cormen et al., 2009) and 'Java in Two Semesters - Fourth Edition' (Charatan & Kans, 2019 - third edition is also fine).

Thanks a lot for sharing that.
Original post by elideli
disappointing...

Not really concerned, it is online + distance learning. It brings its own difficulties.
Plus at the end of the day its an accredited MSc @ 180 credits, and considered equivalent.

I was told by university staff that the programming languages taught are Javascript and Python. Why are they recommending books on Java?

I spoke to the recruitment advisors on the phone and I had the exact same question about the degree title. They told me that the degree will not say "online/distance learning". The fact that they lied to me is concerning...
Reply 37
Hi again all, just catching up with this thread.

I have now applied to York and received an offer. Just taking a bit more time to think about it before accepting. My reservations are mostly related to it being a new course (because of the possibility of teething problems, and not knowing if they'll have enough students to keep it going etc.) and whether or not I'll be able to manage the workload whilst working full-time.

I didn't know about the Bath course. The rankings I've looked at do place Bath slightly higher than York, but based on the published information about the two courses I think York's offering is stronger: the course seems to focus more on the fundamentals, which is what I'm after, and is significantly cheaper, particularly as Bath say that fees can increase up to 5% each year for continuing students, whereas for York this increase is limited to 2%!

I was also told by a recruiter that transcripts for the York course will indicate that the course was taken online or via distance learning, although she did say that this wouldn't appear on the degree certificate. I'm not too bothered by this personally. It's not like you have to put it on your resume if you don't want to, and an MSc is an MSc, however the teaching was delivered. If you're working full-time whilst studying, distance learning is one of your only options, so I don't think it should really carry any negative weight from a prospective employer's point of view.
Original post by firebaron999
I was told by university staff that the programming languages taught are Javascript and Python. Why are they recommending books on Java?

I spoke to the recruitment advisors on the phone and I had the exact same question about the degree title. They told me that the degree will not say "online/distance learning". The fact that they lied to me is concerning...

They did not lie to you, online/distance learning is not going be mentioned on the degree. Only the transcript would have that “online” mentioned.
Original post by thomc
Hi again all, just catching up with this thread.

I have now applied to York and received an offer. Just taking a bit more time to think about it before accepting. My reservations are mostly related to it being a new course (because of the possibility of teething problems, and not knowing if they'll have enough students to keep it going etc.) and whether or not I'll be able to manage the workload whilst working full-time.

I didn't know about the Bath course. The rankings I've looked at do place Bath slightly higher than York, but based on the published information about the two courses I think York's offering is stronger: the course seems to focus more on the fundamentals, which is what I'm after, and is significantly cheaper, particularly as Bath say that fees can increase up to 5% each year for continuing students, whereas for York this increase is limited to 2%!

I was also told by a recruiter that transcripts for the York course will indicate that the course was taken online or via distance learning, although she did say that this wouldn't appear on the degree certificate. I'm not too bothered by this personally. It's not like you have to put it on your resume if you don't want to, and an MSc is an MSc, however the teaching was delivered. If you're working full-time whilst studying, distance learning is one of your only options, so I don't think it should really carry any negative weight from a prospective employer's point of view.

Exactly my point, online/distance learning should not be any problem.
Regarding the curriculum, I had a chat with Bath Uni’s representative and she provided completed course details, their program seems solid. Bath’s ranking is higher only on the Guardian’s league table, but the QS ranking of Bath is lower than York. Even on THE (Time Higher Edu) ranking table, York ranks above the Bath University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending