The Student Room Group

MSc Computer Science Imperial/UCL 19/20

Hi guys,

I recently applied (25/01/19) to study the MSc Computer Science conversion course at UCL and Imperial.

I was wondering if people would be happy to answer the following qs:

(i) What Bachelor do you come from? (And what uni?)
(ii) When did you apply?
(iii) When did you receive an offer?
(iv) Did you have an interview? If so how was it?

For me, I study maths and Philisophy at the university of Birmingham and still haven’t received an offer from either unis.

Appreciate it
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I studied Contemporary Chinese Studies With International Relations. I just submitted my application to imperial and UCL so have't heard anything back :smile:
Reply 2
I applied a week ago to the UCL course! Have either of you heard back?
People who applied back in November are getting offers at the moment and I would love to know if any of you got offers in case it doesn't take the full six weeks of processing!

(PPE, Oxford)
Original post by qlimon
I applied a week ago to the UCL course! Have either of you heard back?
People who applied back in November are getting offers at the moment and I would love to know if any of you got offers in case it doesn't take the full six weeks of processing!

(PPE, Oxford)

I think both references submitted for UCL about a month ago and haven't heard back yet. How come you haven't applied to Imperial?
Reply 4
I found the UCL course to be more my vibe in terms of being more hands on and less theoretical! I would also prefer to code in python and I think I would enjoy UCL as a grad more.

Let me know how you get on! I realise now I have probably applied far far too late given that the day my final reference was submitted was the day people started getting offers, but best of luck to you!
Original post by pseudoname
I think both references submitted for UCL about a month ago and haven't heard back yet. How come you haven't applied to Imperial?
Reply 5
My daughter applied for Applied Computational Science & Engineering MSc at Imperial. She heard she got in last week.

Sorting accomodation out is gooing to be a real problem
Reply 6
Submitted UCL & Imperial applications for MSc Computer science 06/02
Both gave me an offer this week
Thought I’d share if people wanted to know timings of offers
Original post by James Rea

Congratulations! I guess I'm going to hear really soon then cause I got 6-8 weeks email on the 13th. A bit worried that I haven't already heard cause I doubt there were many applications between mine and yours and the vast majority seem to have applied Nov-Dec 😬. Which one do you think you'll accept?

Also just wondering if imperial put conditions on the offer? Another person in the postgrad thread wasn't sure if he had any conditions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
It might be worth checking if all your references have been approved. I also applied in February, but late february and I applied to QMUL early March, I received an offer from QMUL but I still haven't heard back from Imperial. After logging into my Imperial acc I realised that only one of my reference was approved so I'm waiting to give them a call on Monday.
Reply 9
I'm getting worried that I haven't heard from either of them 🙈 for Imperial my references were approved on Feb 13th and for UCL on March 9th. This waiting is killing me 😖
Original post by maria:)
I'm getting worried that I haven't heard from either of them 🙈 for Imperial my references were approved on Feb 13th and for UCL on March 9th. This waiting is killing me 😖

Hey Maria, my UCL application took around 40 days (13th feb second reference to March 26)! So i'm guessing you should hear from them around april 18th, though easter holidays may mean it'll take a little longer

As for imperial, I got the references approved email on 15th feb and haven't heard back either. Called faculty of engineering admissions today and they said all they knew is that it was with the department, but they would transfer me directly to the computing admissions if I didn't hear back by the end of the month. She also said Imperial is closed for easter holidays from 17th-24th April so I almost certainly won't get a decision in that date range. Based on James Rea's timing we should've heard back around two weeks ago though :/

best of luck and please let us know if you hear back :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey everyone,

A tad late to this but anyway

Previous degree in Economics and Econometrics (1st) from the University of Nottingham
I applied to UCL and Imperial MSc CS (conversion) in late Nov early Dec. Got both offers in early March.
Went ahead with Imperial. Course seemed more theoretically rigorous and much better module choices

How do you guys plan to fund your studies? I am funding with a mixture of gov loans, savings and hopefully a scholarship ( or 2:smile: )
Also, any ideas for accommodation??
Reply 12
Hey dammandan,

Congratulations for the offers.
I chose imperial too!
To answer your q
I’m finding using loans and grants. What scholarships are you applying for?
I have a place at a friend in London for next year.
How will you prepare for the course over summer?
James
I am applying to basically all on the imperial's outside scholarship section ( or as many as I eligible for ).
In terms of preparation:
-current work involves a fair bit of programming (data science intern)
-going to purchase Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language and start making my way through that (hopefully)
Reply 14
Original post by pseudoname
Hey Maria, my UCL application took around 40 days (13th feb second reference to March 26)! So i'm guessing you should hear from them around april 18th, though easter holidays may mean it'll take a little longer

As for imperial, I got the references approved email on 15th feb and haven't heard back either. Called faculty of engineering admissions today and they said all they knew is that it was with the department, but they would transfer me directly to the computing admissions if I didn't hear back by the end of the month. She also said Imperial is closed for easter holidays from 17th-24th April so I almost certainly won't get a decision in that date range. Based on James Rea's timing we should've heard back around two weeks ago though :/

best of luck and please let us know if you hear back :smile:

Thank you!
Definitely hope we hear back by the end of April, wish imperial stuck to their 6-8 weeks waiting time😅
Original post by James Rea

Congrats on your offer. I was wondering whether you got a conditional offer and what was the offer
for imperial.
Original post by danmandan
Hey everyone,

A tad late to this but anyway

Previous degree in Economics and Econometrics (1st) from the University of Nottingham
I applied to UCL and Imperial MSc CS (conversion) in late Nov early Dec. Got both offers in early March.
Went ahead with Imperial. Course seemed more theoretically rigorous and much better module choices

How do you guys plan to fund your studies? I am funding with a mixture of gov loans, savings and hopefully a scholarship ( or 2:smile: )
Also, any ideas for accommodation??

Congrats on your offer. I havent yet received anything from imperial but got an offer from ucl after one week of completing my application,. Its been about 11 weeks since I applied and I was wondering what was the offer that imperial gave you.
Reply 17
So, I'm 8 weeks in now and no reply, does anyone have any tips on who to contact for UCL? I'm unsure what is the best way to go about it and I would love to know soon so the news doesn't make me prang out for my finals
Reply 18
Anyone still waiting on UCL and Imperial? 😅 It's been 10-12 weeks now, not sure if calling them will solve anything 🤔
Original post by maria:)
Anyone still waiting on UCL and Imperial? 😅 It's been 10-12 weeks now, not sure if calling them will solve anything 🤔

They wont do anything. I haven't yet received a decision from Imperial but got an offer from UCL in a weeks time. I completed my application for Imperial 13 weeks ago. I emailed and called them up but they told me that the department is responsible for giving an update and they dont know how long will it take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending