The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE English literature (1ET0) - Paper 1 - 15 May, 2019

Paper reference: 1ET0 01
Paper title: Paper 1: Shakespeare and Post-1914 Literature
Duration: 1h 45mins
Maximum mark available: 80 (50% of GCSE)
Date of paper: Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 (p.m.)
Paper 2 discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5896242

Some literary devices that constitute 'language' (AO2):

Spoiler

Some points that constitute 'form' AO2):

Spoiler

Some structural features that constitute 'structure' (AO2):

Spoiler

Guide through the paper
Section A (Shakespeare), part a (20 marks):

Analyse how the language, form and structure used by Shakespeare to create meanings and dramatic effects relate to the question (AO2).

Always quote as evidence to support your opinion. You have no excuse as the extract is in front of you.

Only focus on the extract given.

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Section A (Shakespeare), part b (20 marks):

Discuss your critical opinion (AO1) on how different events or characters in the play are related to the topic of the question (a theme which will relate to the extract in part a).

Try to link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try to use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Try to include a pithy conclusion.

DO NOT discuss language, form or structure at all.

Try to avoid using quotes from the extract at all costs.

Section B (post-1914 literature; 40 marks):

Play to your strengths. You have a choice from two questions.

Use three main points (or however many you think is required) that are events from the text to support your critical opinion that relates to the question (AO1). Use pertinent quotes to support all of your points.

Use context to support all of your points (AO3). It is worth a lot of credit here.

Try to conclude with a pithy conclusion that is infused with some modern context that is relevant to the play and the question. You'll want to leaven an impression on the examiner.

Pay attention to SPaG! Eight of the marks (twenty per cent) in this question are for the accuracy of your spelling, grammar and punctuation. They are easy to gain, but also so easy to lose.

(If any of you want help, I scored 78/80 on this paper last year. I am free to help, so just DM me!)

May the odds be ever in your favour for all taking the exam!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
@Evil Homer

Hey, this is a GCSE English literature thread for the 2019 exams! I hope this can get added to the list!
Original post by Tolgarda
Duration: 1h 45m
Date of paper: Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 (pm)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guide through the paper

Analyse how the language, form and structure used by Shakespeare to create meanings and dramatic effects relates to the question (AO2).

Always quote as evidence to support your opinion. You have no excuse as the extract is in front of you.

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Discuss your critical opinion (AO1) on how different events or characters in the play are related to the topic of the questions (either a theme or, on the rare occasion, a character, which will relate to the extract in part a).

Try and link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try and use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Try and include a pithy conclusion.

Use three main points (or however many you think is required) that are events from the text to support your critical opinion that relates to the question (AO1). Use pertinent quotes to support all of your points.

Use context to support all of your points (AO3). It is worth a lot of credit here.

Try to conclude with a pithy conclusion that is infused with some modern context that is relevant to the play and the question. You'll want to leaven an impression on the examiner.

Pay attention to SPaG! Eight of the marks (twenty per cent) in this question are for the accuracy of your spelling, grammar and punctuation. They are easy to gain, but also so easy to lose.

(If any of you want help, I scored 78/80 on this paper last year. I am free to help, so just DM me!)

This right here is a damn godsend.
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringAccount
This right here is a damn godsend.

Haha, that's good to hear.
does anyone know what questions came up in junew last year and the january exams(retakes) because then these characters/ themes wont come up again. want to try a!!
that's what im wondering. i think it was guilt last year but im not sure on the re take. they sure release these papers for revision tools ffs

Original post by jojobear27
does anyone know what questions came up in junew last year and the january exams(retakes) because then these characters/ themes wont come up again. want to try a!!
Reply 6
Original post by MoSalah24
that's what im wondering. i think it was guilt last year but im not sure on the re take. they sure release these papers for revision tools ffs

They have released them. Anyway, GCSE does not have January papers - that's iGCSE.
So are last years papers on line?
Reply 8
So are last years papers on line?

Yes.
An
where are they i cant find them. can you send me a link to them =

Yes.
I believe that is the correct link, if you scroll down you can choose either 2017 or 2018
safe :smile:
I believe that is the correct link, if you scroll down you can choose either 2017 or 2018
HI do u have any social medias that i can message you with
What is the best way to revise for english literature

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guide through the paper

Analyse how the language, form and structure used by Shakespeare to create meanings and dramatic effects relate to the question (AO2).

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Discuss your critical opinion (AO1) on how different events or characters in the play are related to the topic of the questions (either a theme or, on the rare occasion, a character, which will relate to the extract in part a).

Try and link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try and use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Try and include a pithy conclusion.

Reply 16
Original post by Cloysterferns26
HI do u have any social medias that i can message you with

Send me a PM, and I'll give you one of my accounts on a social media platform that you can message me with.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you so much! Do you want to analysis your quotes in part b closely? Like do you need to explain the effect on the reader and what techniques are used or simply state what happend? Thanks for your time :wink:
Reply 18
Thank you so much! Do you want to analysis your quotes in part b closely? Like do you need to explain the effect on the reader and what techniques are used or simply state what happend? Thanks for your time :wink:

Read the post. That answers your question.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guide through the paper

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Try to link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try to use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Try to include a pithy conclusion.

So i'm doing twelfth night for English lit but am in a dilemma. I spent so much time getting my head around the books of the other components that I got no time for twelfth night (I'm doing a mock at some point today). Do you have anything that can get me that A grade (or B grade)?

Latest

Trending

Trending