The Student Room Group

How to reference five authors in my assignment?

So I've written a quote from a book that has five authors e.g. "the sky is blue" (........)

How many authors do I put at the end in-text? Is it the main author et al then the date?
Original post by BatmanRH
So I've written a quote from a book that has five authors e.g. "the sky is blue" (........)

How many authors do I put at the end in-text? Is it the main author et al then the date?

In the in text citation, anything over 2 authors is "et al"- so Smith et al (2001) or (Smith et al, 2001). All authors should be included in the citation in your reference list/bibliography.
Reply 2
If it's not a direct quotation, what would you put? E.g. Johnson and Pain observe that the sky is blue...
Original post by SarcAndSpark
In the in text citation, anything over 2 authors is "et al"- so Smith et al (2001) or (Smith et al, 2001). All authors should be included in the citation in your reference list/bibliography.
Original post by BatmanRH
If it's not a direct quotation, what would you put? E.g. Johnson and Pain observe that the sky is blue...

Johnson and Pain (2001) observe that...

or

It has been observed that... (Johnson and Pain, 2001).

You indicate a direct quote with quotation marks, otherwise it's assumed not to be.

Quick Reply

Latest