The Student Room Group

Appealing a grade in Masters?

I'm doing a Biology MSc at a RG uni, where I also did my undergrad in a related, but slightly different discipline. I graduated from UG with a first, and thought I was adjusting to Master's relatively well for awhile as my marks in my other two modules ranged from 65-78. However, one module has completely thrown a curve ball and I am seriously worried how it is going to effect my future. I failed one of the assignments in the module with a 48. Due to the weighting of assignments, I am only passing the module by one point currently, so there is a chance I might fail it if my other assessment goes poorly.

However, I am extremely confused as to why I failed the assignment. The assignment was a brief, experimental report based on a laboratory class that taught you to do a medical lab technique, and the assignment brief emphasized that the report was meant to have brevity (less than 2 pages length maximum) and focus on analyzing the data, it did not mention a minimum number of references or a necessity for in-depth outside reading as the practical was fairly quick and simple. When I received my feedback and my mark, I was surprised because the feedback listed that I did not discuss several different points which I clearly had written about in the work, some of these points spanning several paragraphs. There was only one point in the feedback about how further referencing could better support some statements.

I emailed the module convenor asking for clarification, as I was very confused as to why I failed the assessment and how the feedback didn't seem to align with what I had written. The module lead convened with the marker and now they have backtracked stating that the reason I have failed is because I only used around 4-5 references in the assignment, despite the assignment brief not stating a minimum number of references and stating to focus on the analysis of the data and interpreting this in a healthcare context. Despite using clinical evidence to justify certain claims, they did not seem to like that I included NICE and other regulatory body clinical guidelines based on laboratory testing results, when the assignment brief stated that the aim was to determine which treatments would be suitable based on the patient data in the experiment. I am so confused because the assignment brief said to write only a very BRIEF discussion. What their expectations are and what the brief asked for seem like two very different things.

It would make perfect sense to have extensive referencing in an essay or longer lab report, but I am just extremely confused on how I can be given a failing mark simply for not having a large number of references in a brief assignment of this nature, especially when my feedback contradicts the true reason that they decided to give me a failing mark. The marker and module convenor will not budge and simply insisted that my work was weak and of poor quality. I would like to push back further, and if I am not successful, appeal, but I'm not sure if there is even any chance of winning because I feel utterly powerless in this situation and that I can't do anything because the sole marker gets to make the decision.
It depends on the regulations of your particular institution, but usually, academic judgement cannot be appealed at most (all?) universities.
Reply 2
The above is correct, the vast majority of institutions (not all, however) will not allow an appeal where the appeal rests on academic judgement.

However, you should talk to the SU about this because there is possibly some chance of making a claim against procedural irregularity given that the reason given in feedback does not seem to be the reason that they have eventually failed you.

It's tenuous at best. But it's the only possibility I can think of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending