The Student Room Group

National 5 Maths 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lsimpson2001
What i dont get is this WHY DO THEY MAKE THE TESTS BIGGER???!!!! my mate did his in 2017 it was out of 80 now its out of 110 or 120 WHY?? am no smart guy All i want is a C and am probably not gonna get it cuz they make the tests bigger why is that its like they want us people that dont do so well to fail and fell humiliated because we got like 40 overall but in 2017 that would of been 50% now its 36% WTF why do the SQA do this?????!!!

Moved to the National 5 maths thread, as the other one was 2 years old...Previously, the Nat 5 maths papers were out of 90 (split as 40 and 50), but now they are out of 110 (50 and 60)...At the end of the day, it is still out of 100%.
I'm in agreement with you in that I don't really agree with the SQA making them longer, as it seems like a bit of a backwards step, and teachers are still going to give some form of unit assessments anyway, so the reason of wanting to lessen how much candidates are examined, to me at least, isn't a great one.
However, in terms of what is required to get each grade, as a notional percentage this is not affected by the changes, and there hasn't been anything to suggest that candidates are worse off (as if they are doing worse, grade boundaries will reflect this). I'm pretty sure that the proportion of 'C level questions' within the papers also hasn't changed, so you shouldn't be at a disadvantage to candidates in previous years.
Original post by Labrador99
Must be some other people doing Nat 5 maths out there! How are you all getting on?

yess im getting on well :/ i’m confused though..i’m unsure if we need to know exact values at n5 or not??? because I was sure that was higher however some of my friends from other schools have been told to memorise them? now i’m stressing because I wasn’t told this..any help would be appreciated :smile: ps. good luck to everyone on their exams
Original post by cindistudy
yess im getting on well :/ i’m confused though..i’m unsure if we need to know exact values at n5 or not??? because I was sure that was higher however some of my friends from other schools have been told to memorise them? now i’m stressing because I wasn’t told this..any help would be appreciated :smile: ps. good luck to everyone on their exams

Yes you do need to know them, They don't usually come up (and usually only a 1 mark question) However they could use it as a Trigonmetry question in a non-calculator. However if that happens it is very unlikely to be the surds ones, but if you really don't know just make up the numbers you can still get marks for your method even if your figures are totally wrong. However in our school we have had 3 prelims and there hasn't been any exact values question. And last year an exact value (kinda) question came up (it asked about the 4 quadrants in Trig) so I think it will be unlikely to come up this year, however try your best to learn them- maybe put a poster on the wall in your room.
A little bit off top but the Business Management exam has now been extended to 2 hours 45 minutes with no break at all which I think is too much for one exam. Although I can see that more range of content allows you to answer questions you're better at the likes of Business should be like Geography where it's split into two separate papers.
Moved to the National 5 maths thread, as the other one was 2 years old...Previously, the Nat 5 maths papers were out of 90 (split as 40 and 50), but now they are out of 110 (50 and 60)...At the end of the day, it is still out of 100%.
I'm in agreement with you in that I don't really agree with the SQA making them longer, as it seems like a bit of a backwards step, and teachers are still going to give some form of unit assessments anyway, so the reason of wanting to lessen how much candidates are examined, to me at least, isn't a great one.
However, in terms of what is required to get each grade, as a notional percentage this is not affected by the changes, and there hasn't been anything to suggest that candidates are worse off (as if they are doing worse, grade boundaries will reflect this). I'm pretty sure that the proportion of 'C level questions' within the papers also hasn't changed, so you shouldn't be at a disadvantage to candidates in previous years.
:wavey:

How's everyone feeling about the exam this week?
ok I think but I really want 100 percent so I can get the award but I know several people will get full marks in my year so I'm under a lot of pressure

Hmmm well maths is the subject I find the hardest but I've been practising a lot so hopefully it pays off.
Aiming for an A...
How does that work for you? Because for us prize giving is just before the holidays but we don't get our results until August. I'm quite curious- like if you did really well would they let your school know or something?
Not trying to get an award in maths but would like one in some of my other subjects.
Original post by bendalrymple36
ok I think but I really want 100 percent so I can get the award but I know several people will get full marks in my year so I'm under a lot of pressure
Original post by bendalrymple36

Try not to put pressure on yourself to get an award. Whether or not you get it does depend to some extent how you perform, but it also depends a lot on how others perform- something you can't control. While they might be nice to get, these types of school awards don't mean a lot beyond the personal satisfaction you might get from them. Concentrate on doing your best on the day, and if you know you've done that, award or not, you can be proud of how you've done. Hope the exam goes well :smile:
Original post by pineapplepink
How does that work for you? Because for us prize giving is just before the holidays but we don't get our results until August. I'm quite curious- like if you did really well would they let your school know or something?
Not trying to get an award in maths but would like one in some of my other subjects.

Your school probably does it based on prelims or performance throughout the year...Your school find out your results usually a few days before you do, but they're not allowed to share those until results day, so it won't be based on the final exam if they do it before summer.
ah ok.
I thought it was a bit weird because at prizegiving last year there were people getting prizes for each subject at each level so I was just wondering how that worked. It's a bit stupid tbh especially if you did better in your final exam than in your prelim.
Your school probably does it based on prelims or performance throughout the year...Your school find out your results usually a few days before you do, but they're not allowed to share those until results day, so it won't be based on the final exam if they do it before summer.
Original post by pineapplepink
ah ok.
I thought it was a bit weird because at prizegiving last year there were people getting prizes for each subject at each level so I was just wondering how that worked. It's a bit stupid tbh especially if you did better in your final exam than in your prelim.

Yeah, I agree it's a bit weird that some schools do it that way, and would probably be better for it to be based on final exams. In the grand scheme, although they are nice if you get them, they're not all that important though- a bigger reward is knowing you've smashed the real exams when it really counted :smile:
yeah exactly :smile:
Yeah, I agree it's a bit weird that some schools do it that way, and would probably be better for it to be based on final exams. In the grand scheme, although they are nice if you get them, they're not all that important though- a bigger reward is knowing you've smashed the real exams when it really counted :smile:
hi guys! can't believe the exam is this friday :/ really stressed as i only just got a B in the prelim and I feel as though our schools prelim was fairly 'easy' as we had not covered trig graphs and the likes yet. I always get this thing in maths where I get what I'm doing but then i make a stupid mistake and it derails the whole question so I lose marks- i think its because i get so stressed out about it lol. I'm in s5 doing it this year, last year I couldn't do it as I failed the prelim by 10%
Reply 34
i got a d in the prelim.
haven’t really revised maths yet, i just get a block whenever I try !!!
Please help
I got an A in the prelim but I’d say our prelim was far easier than the sqa past papers. I’m stressing so much and burnt out from today’s exam.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't feel too nervous, I have completed every past paper but I don't think that is enough. I definitely need to practice more and just make sure for all the hard problem-solving questions :confused:

Omg same, I'm so tired and I only have one more day to revise eek! I really want to do well but I am scared they are going to make it quite a difficult paper :cry:
Original post by Button222
I got an A in the prelim but I’d say our prelim was far easier than the sqa past papers. I’m stressing so much and burnt out from today’s exam.
Original post by adqwilson
Omg same, I'm so tired and I only have one more day to revise eek! I really want to do well but I am scared they are going to make it quite a difficult paper :cry:

yeh same! I’m leaving it tonight I’m too tired but going to mass revise tomorrow. Yeah they weren’t too vigilant or easy on us in the modern exam I can see them doing the same in maths :/ great
Yup good plan, I'm having a wee break tonight then it is into some hardcore studying tomorrow ahahah. Yeah exactly the modern studies exam caught me off guard more than I thought it would
Original post by Button222
yeh same! I’m leaving it tonight I’m too tired but going to mass revise tomorrow. Yeah they weren’t too vigilant or easy on us in the modern exam I can see them doing the same in maths :/ great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending