The Student Room Group

A-Level Options For Law?

Hey,I am in year 11 and I have just chosen my a level options,I went for History,Sociology and Psycholgy.I researched into what to opt for studying Law but everything was pretty vague.I am not sure if my a level options were a good pick and if I should swap Sociology with Philosophy?
Reply 1
Any are fine really; I do biology, geography and economics and I have law offers from two of the top 5 unis for law in the uk. It's definitely good to do at least one essay based one (history would be good) but other than that, it really doesn't matter. A subject like politics or philosophy would be beneficial for the LNAT (law admissions test required by some unis) but yeah, do what you're interested :smile:
Original post by SamiraLorenzo
Hey,I am in year 11 and I have just chosen my a level options,I went for History,Sociology and Psycholgy.I researched into what to opt for studying Law but everything was pretty vague.I am not sure if my a level options were a good pick and if I should swap Sociology with Philosophy?

Law doesn't require any particular A levels although History is a popular choice. As for Sociology or Philosophy, it won't matter for Law so do whichever one appeals more. Maybe start with 4 and drop one after a few weeks if your school will allow that.
Philosophy never comes to the point. It's all about dead guys.

With psychology and sociology you'll have a 'rounded view' of the human condition - but still many dead guys!
Original post by Grizwuld
Philosophy never comes to the point. It's all about dead guys.

With psychology and sociology you'll have a 'rounded view' of the human condition - but still many dead guys!

History's also mainly just dead guys :biggrin:
Original post by harrysbar
History's also mainly just dead guys :biggrin:

Original post by idk01
Any are fine really; I do biology, geography and economics and I have law offers from two of the top 5 unis for law in the uk. It's definitely good to do at least one essay based one (history would be good) but other than that, it really doesn't matter. A subject like politics or philosophy would be beneficial for the LNAT (law admissions test required by some unis) but yeah, do what you're interested :smile:

Alright thanks for the advice,It’s a big decision choosing A-Levels and with Law being such a ‘pick what you are good at’ subject,it’s been hard but thanks for helping me out.
Also I’m Aware of how many dead guys I’ll encounter in Philosophy and History lol.
Alright thanks for the advice,It’s a big decision choosing A-Levels and with Law being such a ‘pick what you are good at’ subject,it’s been hard but thanks for helping me out.
Reply 7
Also I know you haven't mentioned it and most sixth forms/colleges don't do it but, whatever you do, don't do a Law A-level. It's far less impressive than, say, history and you will learn the discipline in an over-simplified manner meaning you might struggle to re-learn it in detail at uni.
Hi,
I do English Lit, History and A Level Law and I may plan to study Law at uni.
However, as long as your doing similar related subjects which yours are you will be fine when applying. All you have to do is a conversion course :smile:
whoever is slaying history here it is amazing :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest