The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TWorthy91
I don't know if anyone is able to weigh in on this, but what are the chances of continuing on to a PhD in Comp Sci/ML after this course? Anyone here considering that route?

Nothing prevents you from continuing on a PhD.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by elideli
Nothing prevents you from continuing on a PhD.

Cool, didn't know if there'd be issues getting accepted for a PhD after an online masters, but I suppose this course does have an individual research project which would be good.
Reply 62
Original post by TWorthy91
Cool, didn't know if there'd be issues getting accepted for a PhD after an online masters, but I suppose this course does have an individual research project which would be good.

You'll have to go through the same standards as an on-campus programme. I would say that doing it online is even more in your favor as you really have to be self-disciplined and independent to go through an online programme. No one will hand-hold you. And this is what a PhD is all about.
Original post by elideli
You'll have to go through the same standards as an on-campus programme. I would say that doing it online is even more in your favor as you really have to be self-disciplined and independent to go through an online programme. No one will hand-hold you. And this is what a PhD is all about.

Good to know, thanks. Really looking forward to starting this course next year!
Can anyone confirm that the only module to register for is algorithms? It will only allow me to register and pay for that.
Original post by Cicero-mf
Can anyone confirm that the only module to register for is algorithms? It will only allow me to register and pay for that.

Yes, you can register to only one module at a time and pay for that one module.
Original post by bilalashraf
Yes, you can register to only one module at a time and pay for that one module.

Thanks for the quick reply. How is that meant to work out then to complete within 2 years? How long is each module? I haven't seen any decent structure document at all.
Reply 67
8 weeks per module.

Here you can find the programme specifications. Click in 2018-2019 and go down for the online programmes.

https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/manage/programmes/programme-specs/postgraduate/computer-science/
Original post by Cicero-mf
Thanks for the quick reply. How is that meant to work out then to complete within 2 years? How long is each module? I haven't seen any decent structure document at all.
My course starts June 24th. Should I have received an email or something by now? The last thing I had was setting up my online account to accept my offer. :s-smilie:
With these "new" types of course, the best idea is to find out the department offering them, look up where its stands and how it fares, and also look into feedback on related courses offered by the department. This one sounds pretty solid so I'm going to look into applying as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've accepted my offer for the April start. My background is a philosophy degree and a job with small amounts of data analysis.

Has anyone else started the pre-reading for the first module? The java stuff's fine, but I'm struggling with the 'Introduction to Algorithms' by Cormen. Is anyone in a similar position, or else have any pointers for the stuff on algorithms that they've found helpful?
Original post by Holsy312
I've accepted my offer for the April start. My background is a philosophy degree and a job with small amounts of data analysis.

Has anyone else started the pre-reading for the first module? The java stuff's fine, but I'm struggling with the 'Introduction to Algorithms' by Cormen. Is anyone in a similar position, or else have any pointers for the stuff on algorithms that they've found helpful?

I'm also finding the algorithms book a challenge. Watching some of MIT's 'Introduction to Algorithms' lectures has helped. They're available on YouTube and the MIT OCW website.

I have also enrolled for the April session. If you already have basic programming knowledge, then you can start learning algorithms otherwise it would be difficult.
Original post by bilalashraf
I have also enrolled for the April session. If you already have basic programming knowledge, then you can start learning algorithms otherwise it would be difficult.

Original post by ancient_queen
I'm also finding the algorithms book a challenge. Watching some of MIT's 'Introduction to Algorithms' lectures has helped. They're available on YouTube and the MIT OCW website.

Thanks both, especially for the MIT pointer! I'll give it a go. Good luck both for the course. I assume at some point there will be a facebook group or something by way of online community, but in the interim it's nice to touch base with others in the same situation!
Reply 74
Which book is that?
Original post by elideli
Which book is that?

'Introduction to Algorithms' (Cormen et al., 2009)
Reply 76
'Introduction to Algorithms' (Cormen et al., 2009)

Thank you so much, do they provide a hard copy of the book or we have to buy them?
Original post by elideli
Thank you so much, do they provide a hard copy of the book or we have to buy them?

Soft copy is available at the University's virtual library, so you don't have to buy. The library search engine shows that a hard copy is also available at the JB Morrell Library
I thought the April start date had already passed?

Original post by KittensAndCakes
I thought the April start date had already passed?

We start on Monday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending